TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla under network attack today?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by flashflood, Sep 28, 2016.

1. flashflood

flashflood Member

At 1:50pm PDT today, my wife's Tesla started to repeatedly reboot the center console. Moments after we got off the phone, mine started to do the same thing. Both cars (2014 P85, 2016 P100D) are on 8.0. Neither one had any problems before this afternoon. Anyone else seeing this? We've both had 8-10 reboots in the past hour.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

It's happening across many in the fleet. Likely a bad update to the charger list or something along those lines. They will get it sorted out soon.

• Dislike x 1
  3. Jbailey

Jbailey Member

Yes....rebooted twice ..same time... never happened before

4. flashflood

flashflood Member

Thanks for the info. What's your source? I can't find anything public.

5. tdjvfr

tdjvfr Member

Very interesting. On my 25 minute drive home today my center console rebooted three times. I've only had v8.0 since Monday.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

This has happened before. The last time, it was because the destination charger list was being updated and it had corrupt data in it.

7. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Yes, this just started happening to me. Rebooted at least 7 times in an hour, just now. This never happened before (to me and Elmo). Very strange. :(

8. Lump

Lump Active Member

Mobile app can't connect to car & teslafi doesn't show when car left home & current location either.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

It happened about a year ago. Was fixed after about 30 minutes or so. This time it seems to be lasting much longer as people have been saying it started happening earlier. But I suspect the "differences" in the reports has been time zone differences, not that it has been going on for hours.

• Like x 1
  10. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

Thanks for posting this info. Please consider a more specific title of your post in the future. I posted the exact same thing as well. I didn't look at your thread as the title didn't suggest a screen reboot issue.

• Helpful x 2
  11. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

In software development often, unhandled exceptions (such as due to invalid or corrupt data) will crash an app (or system). I was hoping Tesla was not taking this approach and will take better countermeasures in future updates to handle such erroneous events.

We will have to wait and see, I agree it likely has to do with new map data (such as newly activated SpCs) that for one reason or another cannot be processed correctly by the current 8.0 system.

I expect one or two hotfixes in the coming weeks to address the glitches people are encountering with 8.0

12. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

You guys know how difficult it is to prevent software crashes, Elon is busy doing the easy things like building a rocket bound for Mars!

• Funny x 2
  13. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

We must always keep in mind that there is no such thing as 100% bug-free software. With that said, Tesla software is usually pretty damn solid.

• Like x 1
  14. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Although I didn't experience the re-booting issue, my Nav screen map refreshes several times on my 20 mile commute to and from work. That never happened before 8.0

15. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

That's probably related to the new map auto zoom feature, not the database bug this thread is about.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

^ This.

17. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

@pedriscoll , you "dislike"d this post. Is this a typo/fat finger press, or do you disagree with what I stated?

18. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Thanks. That's good to know.

19. Silenus136

Silenus136 Member

My December 2015 Model S running 8.0 started doing the spontaneous re-boot thing today. Twice in 30 minutes while driving, with one 5-minute session parked in the middle of that time period. Is anyone else experiencing this today (and so I could then assume it is a fleet issue and not something I have to chase down with Tesla service)?