TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Undercarriage

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Zinfandel, May 29, 2018.

1. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Member

Hope to get my MX100D end of June. Is this car any more susceptible to damage from road debris, potholes, dirt, road salt, etc than any other vehicle?

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

If u have 22”s ....potholes can be problematic otherwise undercarriage is no issue ..I had S for four years and now X ..

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Probably less prone, likely much less. There is virtually nothing on the bottom other than the main battery. Potholes and debris are just as hard on a Tesla as any other car (it is really heavy) and demands precise wheel alignment. But the underside of a Tesla is basically a sealed compartment, and there is very little plumbing to tear up.

4. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Paint protection from chips is a good idea in general. No rust from road salt with aluminum. Plus you have the titanium shield protecting the front edge of the pack from debris

• Like x 1
  5. Phoenix1

Phoenix1 Member

Unless you have 22”s I wouldnt worry about it.

• Disagree x 1
  6. Big John

Big John Member

Much less. In fact the adjustable air suspension is one of the reasons I got the MX. If you have a rough patch you can raise the suspension--It will keep track of there the rough spots are and raise and lower automatically according to your input. BUT you want the more robust 20” wheels/tires for sure.

7. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

That's impressive...

8. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Member

Thanks for these replies - very helpful.

9. DaiPlusPlus

DaiPlusPlus Member

Well yeah - it's pretty much a giant piece of thick armour plating - you need it to prevent the battery enclosure from being pierced and causing a fire:

10. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Even with 22's I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's a good amount of rubber actually on the 22's.

Model 3: 235/35/20 - 3.2" Sidewall
    Model S: 245/35/21 - 3.4" Sidewall
    Model 3: 235/40/19 - 3.7" Sidewall
    Model X: 265/35/22 - 3.7" Sidewall FR / 3.9" Sidewall RR
    Model 3: 235/45/18 - 4.2" Sidewall
    Model S: 245/45/19 - 4.3" Sidewall
    Model X: 255/45/20 - 4.5" Sidewall

I haven't met a lot of other Model X drivers who take their car regularly on gravel roads, but there are some of us out there. I'm using my an Audi (Q5) and several Subaru's (Impreza, Forester, Legacy) and as a measuring stick here. The undercarriage is actually better protected than an ICE vehicle. One area that does seem to get a lot of debris pickup is actually the brakes. Rocks seem to get stuck between the calipers quite often for some reason and cause some squealing. Pumping the brakes usually gets them to loosen up and fix it.

The other area is the black matte wheel well trim. That seems to be the first to break if you really push the limits of your car - which would be beyond just potholes, dirt/gravel roads, etc. On a one lane, two direction gravel road both cars will often pull up on a berm to get past. Most of the time it was fine, but I did pop that trim out a couple of times. It gets cracked, but just pops right back in and looks normal again.