Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unveils New Tesla Brand Solar Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They must be on the roof someplace as they tied the panels together to create multiple strings. I haven’t seen them either but I didn’t go on my roof (too chicken).
They're clipped to the backs of the panels that need them. On our install last week, one of the guys on the ground spent some time clipping MCIs to the backs of some of the panels, and the installers on the roof would ask for an "MCI panel" or a "regular/plain" panel to be sent up.

EDIT: at least it will look nice, if its next to a gateway 2 and some powerwalls. Wonder when tesla will come up with a tesla branded load center, so one can have a nice, neat row of tesla branded boxes on the wall together :p
As of last week, I now have four Powerwalls, two of the Tesla-branded inverters and the Tesla-branded gateway. It's silly and purely aesthetic, but my decades-old plain grey circuit breaker box is bothering me now. I'm considering making a magnetic cover for the breaker box using some 3/16" plexiglas and white automotive wrap vinyl to put on the backside of the plexi to mimic the look of the Tesla covers. I could even make a "Not Tesla" sticker out of silver vinyl and put it on the backside of the plexi underneath the vinyl. :D

As of last week, I now have four Powerwalls, two of the Tesla-branded inverters and the Tesla-branded gateway. It's silly and purely aesthetic, but my decades-old plain grey circuit breaker box is bothering me now. I'm considering making a magnetic cover for the breaker box using some 3/16" plexiglas and white automotive wrap vinyl to put on the backside of the plexi to mimic the look of the Tesla covers. I could even make a "Not Tesla" sticker out of silver vinyl and put it on the backside of the plexi underneath the vinyl. :D

I would love to see a picture! Sounds awesome, and we like energy product installation pictures in this forum 😁

Reactions: willow_hiller
It'll take me a bit to gather the materials and figure out how to use our Cricut cutter to make the vinyl lettering, but in the meantime here's how the install looks:

That looks GREAT! Maybe you could do something more simple than vinyl and simply paint the outside door and trim of the load center white and see if you could find letters in a similar font to the tesla font to put "electrical load center" or something on it?

There is nothing wrong with it the way it looks, it looks great, however I 100% understand your comment, because I would also be looking at doing something to make that match better, if I could.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
That looks GREAT! Maybe you could do something more simple than vinyl and simply paint the outside door and trim of the load center white and see if you could find letters in a similar font to the tesla font to put "electrical load center" or something on it?

There is nothing wrong with it the way it looks, it looks great, however I 100% understand your comment, because I would also be looking at doing something to make that match better, if I could.
Thanks! I'm really happy with the job the installers did. I had asked them to use up as little linear wall space as they could, since I'm hoping to fit a shelving unit in the leftover space. They had originally planned on stacking the inverters one above the other to the left of the Powerwalls, since they've had problems in the past with inspectors in nearby cities like Plano, Texas not allowing the inverters to be above the Powerwalls. But they talked to one of the inspectors for Fort Worth and found out it would be fine. The system passed inspection Monday, so now I'm just waiting for PTO. From ordering the system (16.32kW solar panels and four PWs) to the completion of installation was only 38 days.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Doing a very quick google, I found the following font that is supposed to be close to the tesla font. I "helpfully" (lol) typed "Electrical Load Center" in the sample text field here:

That's really helpful - thanks! And the font is available as a .ttf, which the Cricut cutter can use.

I looked at the covers on the inverters and gateway, and they appear to be 3/16" glass or plexiglas, with reversed vinyl decals applied to the back side and then what appears to be white paint applied to the backside. I'm hoping that white vinyl on the backside of plexi will give the same appearance.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
No blade disconnects, lucky you
There's one big "Service Disconnect" blade switch just outside above the meter, but no individual ones for the Powerwalls. Maybe because everything is so close together? Or maybe the requirements vary from city to city? The gateway has breakers inside of it for the inverters and powerwalls, as well as a big breaker that will disconnect the system from the grid but still allow the solar and powerwalls to power the house. I'm not sure what the difference is between the big breaker in the gateway and the huge blade switch outside, though.

There's one big "Service Disconnect" blade switch just outside above the meter, but no individual ones for the Powerwalls. Maybe because everything is so close together? Or maybe the requirements vary from city to city? The gateway has breakers inside of it for the inverters and powerwalls, as well as a big breaker that will disconnect the system from the grid but still allow the solar and powerwalls to power the house. I'm not sure what the difference is between the big breaker in the gateway and the huge blade switch outside, though.

Even in Calif, every county seems to have a different requirement

Thanks! I'm really happy with the job the installers did. I had asked them to use up as little linear wall space as they could, since I'm hoping to fit a shelving unit in the leftover space. They had originally planned on stacking the inverters one above the other to the left of the Powerwalls, since they've had problems in the past with inspectors in nearby cities like Plano, Texas not allowing the inverters to be above the Powerwalls. But they talked to one of the inspectors for Fort Worth and found out it would be fine. The system passed inspection Monday, so now I'm just waiting for PTO. From ordering the system (16.32kW solar panels and four PWs) to the completion of installation was only 38 days.
38 days?! I’m five months in and nothing even scheduled yet...: 😡

Geez, Five months! At this point haven't they breached the contract with you? I'm at 75 days and counting so getting close to that 90days.
I didn't even consider that. I would have to read it over in more detail. I just really want to get it in place now that spring is here and production would be high. I also want to be able to participate in the full summer connected solutions season (national grid virtual power plant program) as that's the main way that 4 power walls are being subsidized.

Yeah, need to clean this up.

Tesla Gateway 07102021.jpg

Tesla Inverters and Powerwalls 06242021.jpg