Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unveils New Tesla Brand Solar Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the new inverter has the functionality built in.
Yes I appreciate your insight. Another thing worth mentioning is that Neurio was purchased by Generac who also bought Pika and are now offering a product that competes with the Powerwall. i do not think it is priced competitively with the Powerwall but it does offer generator integration.

I was mentioning it because for the last couple of months, Tesla was still installing systems with SolarEdge/Delta, but had run out of Powerblasters. So this was a confirmation that they stopped stocking separate consumption monitors because the new inverter has the functionality built in.
Hopefully, this will be another way to drive the cost of solar lower.

that is an intriguing design. looks like you have a hip roof (sorta) with 340w panels on all 4 sides.
which is the S facing side?

Yes, it's a hip roof (multiple-see below). The system layout and the map below are both true north "up." We're near the water up on a berm, so there is absolutely no trees or shade to worry about (the tree+shade in the lower right corner below was gone before we moved in). It's such an odd shaped roof, there's lots of uncovered space, but no way to add more panels than the layout I posted above. And the roof is relatively new, so I'm not going to go Tesla solar roof either.

did you get System Analysis Monitor from the PVwatts site (free) to analyize output of the 4 separate arrays ?
PVWatts Calculator (look at the tab "All NREL Solar Tools")(NREL = "National Renewable Energy Lab"

I looked at this, but didn't see a way to say that I will have four separate arrays.

upload_2021-1-19_12-6-32.png

I looked at this, but didn't see a way to say that I will have four separate arrays.
As far as I am aware, the only way to do this is to enter the data for each segment individually and then add up the data yourself. It would be a very useful feature for them to add (and they could even add some features like defaulting the same panels for each segment and having options to select roof segments at 90 or 180 degrees from the original) but I don't think it currently exists.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Tesla has emailed out a short advertisement:

nuw8ed8kybc61.jpg

The fact that they highlight "even on roofs with complicated angles or intermittent sunlight" leads me to believe this is more than just a standard string inverter.
Is the bike included in case the system doesn't work and you can't charge the Tesla?
I was thinking too bad most installs are not this simple. Where is the massive blade disconnect? :)

With that said, even with the 4 MPPTs it can't optimize any individual panel so any panel on a string with any shade will degrade the whole string. If you have any shade, the solar edge still a better inverter.

No. That is absolutely 110% not true. All solar panels have bypass diodes. If a cell group is shaded the bypass diode is 'activated' and current shunts around the shaded section. You lose all the output from the shaded section but the rest of the panel and the string operates at full capacity. If you have an optimizer and a cell group is shaded... the bypass diode is activated and you lose all production from the shaded section.... the rest of the panel and the string operates fine. Optimizers are generally just a HUGE waste of money.

So I am scheduled to have a 9.18 kW system with 2 powerwalls installed on jan25 with a SE inverter. My roof is pretty much all sun, so not too worried about optimizers (right?). Should I ask my PM to switch me over to the tesla one?

I had an install literally 15 hours after they announced the new Tesla Inverter. I asked if they could swap it out but they said the SolarEdge is still the way to go and it would have delayed the project as they haven't received any in their warehouse (New England). Installer said it's mostly a cost savings to Tesla since they are bringing it in house.

Yes, it's a hip roof (multiple-see below). The system layout and the map below are both true north "up." We're near the water up on a berm, so there is absolutely no trees or shade to worry about (the tree+shade in the lower right corner below was gone before we moved in). It's such an odd shaped roof, there's lots of uncovered space, but no way to add more panels than the layout I posted above. And the roof is relatively new, so I'm not going to go Tesla solar roof either.

View attachment 628853
@HankLloydRight
just a thought.
looks like entrance to house (sidewalk) is on south side of house.
(same as mine)
I'm trying to figure a way, legally, to add a pergola for shade, etc, say, 4.5m by 3.2m, that would neatly fit another 8 panels of about 2,720 watts . that would pop my yearly production from 17.2megaWhrs to ~21.5 or bigger like below using bifacial ones that absorb from both sides
ff78176ef02fcdf4cff877726a2736c3.jpg

Reactions: CSFTN and preilly44
@HankLloydRight
just a thought.
looks like entrance to house (sidewalk) is on south side of house.
(same as mine)
I'm trying to figure a way, legally, to add a pergola for shade, etc, say, 4.5m by 3.2m, that would neatly fit another 8 panels of about 2,720 watts . that would pop my yearly production from 17.2megaWhrs to ~21.5 or bigger like below using bifacial ones that absorb from both sides

Good luck with your project. I don't think something like that is in the cards here. Perhaps a solar roof over our back deck, but that's a few years off.

On the 20 year warranty...

If they replace your unit in 12 years, do you still get another 8 years still on your replaced unit (and ultimately any other replacements needed during the 20 years)? Or is the warranty fulfilled and completely ended with your exchange?

Typically with warranties if you buy a unit on 1/1/2020 with a 20 year warranty and it’s replaced under warranty 1/1/2032 then you would still have coverage under the warranty period which is 1/1/2040. Might want to double check the T&C.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller