Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Unveils Tabless Battery Cell That Boosts Range by 16%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla unveiled Tuesday at its Battery Day event a new 4680 battery cell, a larger form factor that would increase range by 16%.

Tesla said the new cells will have a 5x  increase in energy and a 6x increase in power capacity. The new cell is 46mm by 80mm, featuring a “tabless” design that enables the efficiencies.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-22-at-6.40.22-PM.png

Tesla has reduced parts, created a better electrical connection from the battery, and simplified the manufacturing process. The efficiency in the manufacturing process of the new cell is expected to reduce the price per kWh by 14%. Tesla hopes to eventually reduce that price by 50%.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-22-at-6.34.01-PM.png

Tesla is currently producing the cells at a facility near its factory in Fremont, Calif.

Musk also raved about efforts to make the battery factory more efficient, driving home the idea that battery production needs to speed up in order for EVs to have a significant impact on climate change. Musk said it will be a “highway” at “max-velocity” once at scale. Still, Tesla’s new homegrown cells are not expected to reach mass production until 2022. 

Musk said it will take a year for the first facility to reach its 10 GWh production capacity.

Musk hinted that the new battery design will lead to savings necessary for Tesla to introduce a $25,000 electric vehicle.

Watch the full presentation here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will freely admit to not understanding the computation that shows such an increase in range (the stated increase ought to give a 300 mile range auto another 50 miles or so of range??). My intent is to order our MY in Oct (long story as to why then). I was hoping for a longer range vehicle then is now the case. Not sure that's going to happen.

Rich

I will freely admit to not understanding the computation that shows such an increase in range (the stated increase ought to give a 300 mile range auto another 50 miles or so of range??). My intent is to order our MY in Oct (long story as to why then). I was hoping for a longer range vehicle then is now the case. Not sure that's going to happen.

Rich
No, it won't happen for your MY. Probably not for any MY because the improvement is for a new form factor, tabless battery whose factory is at least a year away from volume production capability. Very likely that the battery pack design would not be compatible with M3 or MY, in the same way that MS and MX are still using 1650 batteries instead of 2170.

No, it won't happen for your MY. Probably not for any MY because the improvement is for a new form factor, tabless battery whose factory is at least a year away from volume production capability. Very likely that the battery pack design would not be compatible with M3 or MY, in the same way that MS and MX are still using 1650 batteries instead of 2170.

How do you propose they get to 520+ miles on the Plaid Model S then? I doubt having an extra motor is going to provide more space to cram 1650's into it.

upload_2020-9-23_0-10-7.png

How do you propose they get to 520+ miles on the Plaid Model S then? I doubt having an extra motor is going to provide more space to cram 1650's into it.

I believe the 54% range increase is mostly related to power efficiency. The regular Model S LR+ has a 100 kWh battery pack with an EPA combined 117 MPGe (29 kWh/100 mi.). The Plaid Model S may have the same equivalent 100 kWh battery pack with an EPA combined 180 MPGe (19 kWh./100 mi.).

I think the main takeaway from the entire presentation is:
16% increase in range based on battery design alone (read: better cell geometry = more capacity). Also important is this is not vaporware... these are batteries being produced, right now, at a scalable prototype facility. A ~50% increase in power transfer rate due to tabbed design (i.e. improved thermal characteristics) (read: decrease in charging time) while not directly stated in the presentation the insane power output of an electric vehicle is merely a direct correlation of a battery's ability to discharge at the same (or greater) rate that it charges. As charging times decrease power output for a battery pack naturally increase.
- You can order your Plaid Model S now (<2 second 0-60) ...btw it's a family sedan.
- Tesla has secured its own lithium source... locally... in the U.S. to be used in it's own Gigafactory(TeraFactory?) using a new process that removes most of the current manufacturing steps. Said lithium source is enough to "electrify" the entire U.S. vehicle fleet should the entire reservoir be purchased and only in that one state. (there will be no lithium shortage.)
- new battery pack design will be structurally integrated into the car increasing overall car strength while decreasing overall gross vehicle weight. While not currently available for your new model Y, it was directly stated that this will be the way all their cars are built as new factories come online and/or it is feasible to retool.
- Plans for the TeraFactory... seriously they built a GigaFactory in 18 months. Only the ignorant are betting against this.

Any one of these talking points would have other vehicle manufactures throwing a media commercial parade... for Tesla just a Wednesday...

Reactions: MrABRanch
That was a disappointment. I'd thought that when my M3 batteries died, I'd be able to replace them with the better battery, but it looks like they won't fit in my M3.

Tesla unveiled Tuesday at its Battery Day event a new 4680 battery cell, a larger form factor that would increase range by 16%. Tesla said the new cells will have a 5x increase in energy and a 6x increase in power capacity. The new cell is 46mm by 80mm, featuring a “tabless” design that enables the...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/09/22/tesla-unveils-tabless-battery-cell-that-boosts-range-by-16/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]