Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Update 2019.40.50.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think 40.50.1 was the update where they increased the temperature at which regen-capping happens. Regen capping is basically Tesla protecting the battery when it is cold by limiting the amount of charge you can get from regenerative braking. The cap will slowly increase as the battery warms up until it goes away completely. Here are some roughly correct (made up based on my personal experience) numbers to illustrate:

Battery @20F: No regen
Battery @32F: 25% regen
Battery @50F: 50% regen
Battery @65F: 75% regen
Battery @75F: 100% regen

Previously the 100% threshold was somewhere around 50 degrees F, and now it's a fair bit higher somewhere in the 70 degree range. I can tell this from experience since I live in Southern California where it rarely gets below 50 degrees. Last winter I almost never had regenerative braking limited, and when I did it would go away quickly. This winter I have had regen limited every morning even when ambient temps are 55-60F, and it takes much longer for regen to come back to 100%.

Longtime Tesla owner here in Southern California experiencing the same loss of regeneration in moderate temperatures. I hope it's not true but if this is a permanent change to protect the battery in colder temperatures, I hope Tesla will implement something to provide a more consistent one pedal experience.

Picked up a new Model X 10 days ago and it had the most aggressive (and wonderful) brake regeneration I have ever experienced.
Somewhere in the 2 updates I've gotten since delivery, it's reverted to "normal". Hate that I lost it. All settings remain the same.
Anyone else experience this?
Version is 40.50.1
I've only had our X for 8 days and unfortunately never experienced the "strong" regen. I've been very disappointed at the level of regen compared to my 2019 M3LR AWD (which I still have, so I'm able to compare side by side at the same temperature).

Well....I feel like a minor(not age wise) idiot now.
Turns out the X has 3 Brake choices: Rolling, Creeping, and Regeneration Steroids.
Mine must have been on the 3rd choice initially and inadvertently got switched to Rolling.
As soon as I changed it back it is fabulous again.
And the best part is that it is independent of temperature or battery level.

There have been no software releases for two weeks! Comments on this thread dried up a week ago. Surely some substantial FSD feature is imminent. You know, like stopping for stop signs.

I can hardly wait. Just trying to find some likeminded sympathy.

I don’t know why I am so excited. I’m a FSD guy on HW2 and MCU1!

Reactions: SlyWombat
There have been no software releases for two weeks! Comments on this thread dried up a week ago. Surely some substantial FSD feature is imminent. You know, like stopping for stop signs.

I can hardly wait. Just trying to find some likeminded sympathy.

I don’t know why I am so excited. I’m a FSD guy on HW2 and MCU1!
I’m just thinking another update might come and break this one....so far no bugs to report and autopilot has been better than ever. The best part is I’m loving how my MX can tow my 3000lb trailer on NOA while still in trailer mode. Auto pilot while towing a trailer works flawless!!

I’m just thinking another update might come and break this one....so far no bugs to report and autopilot has been better than ever. The best part is I’m loving how my MX can tow my 3000lb trailer on NOA while still in trailer mode. Auto pilot while towing a trailer works flawless!!

Interesting that you say AP is better than ever. I just came to this thread to complain about AP!

This past weekend I did a trip from LA to SF, and about 200 miles of that trip is in the Central Valley which is essentially California's Kansas. Think hundreds of miles of farms and long, flat roads. It's perfect for autopilot.

Unfortunately on this trip my car kept swerving from side to side, over and over, for no noticeable reason. There was no nearby traffic and the lanes were completely straight. At one point it was so bad my wife complained that she felt car sick so I had to disengage AP.

I don't think this is a hardware/calibration issue since I did another road trip in December and there was no noticeable ping-ponging when using AP. Is this just me or have others noticed this happening recently? Does anyone have a fix, or is it just wait and hope that the next update fixes it?

Interesting that you say AP is better than ever. I just came to this thread to complain about AP!

This past weekend I did a trip from LA to SF, and about 200 miles of that trip is in the Central Valley which is essentially California's Kansas. Think hundreds of miles of farms and long, flat roads. It's perfect for autopilot.

Unfortunately on this trip my car kept swerving from side to side, over and over, for no noticeable reason. There was no nearby traffic and the lanes were completely straight. At one point it was so bad my wife complained that she felt car sick so I had to disengage AP.

I don't think this is a hardware/calibration issue since I did another road trip in December and there was no noticeable ping-ponging when using AP. Is this just me or have others noticed this happening recently? Does anyone have a fix, or is it just wait and hope that the next update fixes it?

I find that if you engage AP when your car is not relatively centered in the lane it throws AP off and causes ping-ponging. If you disengage and center your car then reengage it stops. Give that a try and see if it helps.

... Unfortunately on this trip my car kept swerving from side to side, over and over, for no noticeable reason. There was no nearby traffic and the lanes were completely straight. At one point it was so bad my wife complained that she felt car sick so I had to disengage AP.

That ping-ponging happens with my X if I put too much torque on the steering-wheel. If I apply just enough torque to stop the nagging, it stops ping-ponging.

As a test when it’s ping-ponging, stop applying torque altogether. The ping-ponging should stop immediately.

Low tire pressure or non-factory tires with soft walls might magnify a ping-ponging tendency.

Yes it’s a new phenomenon that started happening in recent updates. A couple of threads running on here, for example:

Turn swerving off?

Yes it’s a new phenomenon that started happening in recent updates. A couple of threads running on here, for example:

Turn swerving off?
The "swerving" is probably what others call "ping-ponging" between lane markers. I took out X in to see if they could fix it. Thy did...but it is simply a front-end alignment. That makes sense. Case closed.
The other problems of no voice recognition and horrifically bad FSD performance were unresolved. The new FSD computer was installed, so we are awaiting a new software download that - hopefully - fixes everything.

Interesting, will try it and report back. Anyone else tried this?

Don’t know if it’s related to your issue, but I seem to recall before the last update I had to hit the mic button to start recording and then hit it again to stop recording - then the X took action. After the update, it’s just a single press where you speak the command and wait...sometimes it seems like it’s not working but it’s just a bit slow.

good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: Hebert

Turn swerving off?

Yes, the steering wheel is forcefully moving side to side, not an alignment issue. Car will track straight with AP engaged. This is something that came with the last release. Several friends having the same issue. If you are in the car driving on your own not that bad as you are looking ahead and realize what is going on. If you are in the rear and not looking the swaying is not fun....