Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Update 2021.44.25.2 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
General question... before this last upgrade (and I have since turned advance off), in the upper right area of the display, there was a little camera and a security symbol to turn sentry on and off. I used to be able to touch the camera to turn off the camera to remove the thumb drive (without losing footage), view footage and save footage. The camera has since gone away. I know you can touch a new icon to turn the viewer on to view footage, but I'm not seeing any place to turn the camera off so I can remove the thumb drive. Under the general controls there are two controls, one for the sentry and the other for the camera, I don't see that the camera control operates like the old camera control. The camera is greyed out and no matter how may times I touch it or hold my finger on it, nothing seems to happen and it does not light up like the old camera icon. From the new icon, I can view recent footage and using the USB icon, I can see all my music. The sentry, on the other hand, turns on and off as it should when I touch it. Am I missing something here?

View attachment 750138

According to the current on line manual, the controls should be identical to the old controls, but I'm not seeing those controls.

View attachment 750144

Thanks I tried to tell folks about this in another post. NONE of these icons show up anywhere on our main display.

Ok so you can swipe away the seatbelt warning to get back to the home link without having to buckle in or access a submenu. So not as nbad as I thought now that I know where it was supposed to appear.

I lost about 100 miles of range driving only 50 miles yesterday so I may still have some battery issue.

Last edited:
I can see your point. The whole software update of cars is so new, which makes it interesting times. It’s one thing to have to adapt to a new interface on a phone/mobile device; quite a different thing if it’s a car and your life depends on it.

I wonder if Tesla factors in people change management to their update approach or if it’s truly a wild West approach. We have the luxury of having choices and being able to complain but I do wonder about the future given our climate crisis, etc… if we won’t someday just have to quickly (or quicker) adapt to changes and find a way to take what we get.

I think we adapt to change very well (or we wouldn't buy Teslas). We just want them to be improvements. Changes could be opt-in if they're not improvements for everyone.

The standard practice to factor in people change management is usability testing of each change with a variety of drivers in a variety of driving conditions. [Elon, there are good how-to books on this.]

I think Tesla misses the point. The driver is not sitting in front of the car's screen and has all the time in the world to think what to do, search and click as if he were in the office in front of the computer screen. I think the most important things like speed, climate, wipers, lights need to be directly accessible.
The longer it takes to use the interface, the longer the driver’s eyes are off the road.

I’ve had my Model S from new since 2018. We have driven down to the South of France from Brentwood in Essex UU and then again to Zurich in Switzerland within the first two months of ownership with ease and the Car performed better than it does now. After this last jumbled update we have become to understand that these updates are getting more and more like Microsoft updates where fingers are crossed as they are rolled out. Even to adjust the heater your eyes have to be taken off the road on the S for far too long and even the Cruse control keeps dropping out and still no full self driving plus the range is decreasing at pace. Much more of this and we will be trading it for an Ora Cat- not joking I mean this really unhappy

First I really hate this update. Everything is a menu level deeper, and that menu "controls" blocks the screen. Want to open the garage door? Now I have to stop the car, pull up the controls menu (by pressing the homelink) and then activate the button, then press the camera button to see the cameras again to see if it worked and to finish backing into my driveway. It used to be a single button push that did not force me to stop the car. Is this some kind holiday joke? Can the service center revert me back to a previous version?

There are other things I do not like as well.

But the big problem is that I had about 80% charge on my M3P had 220+ miles when I left the house and drove around 92 miles. When I returned home I had about 50 miles left with a low battery warning. Whats up with that?
I hate it too. My car isn’t charging at home as efficiently.

Reactions: St☰v☰
From a usability perspective it's a fail. Just like in healthcare, we try to reduce the number of clicks for a provider to enter info into the EMR. This is so they can see more patients but also to hopefully give them more time with the patient. The same applies here except we are talking about people DRIVING who need to keep their eyes and focus on the road. It is a step back. Many things that were one tap before are now a swipe and tap... The biggest annoyance for me has been the HVAC, seat, and steering wheel controls

The navigation (particular the trip planner on long distance trips) is also a step back. We did an Atlanta to south bend Indiana trip and the nav was doing all sorts of weird things with routing to superchargers. As an owner since 2013 they had this pretty good for a while but it took a step back with this update. On the brighter side EAP seemed as good as it's ever been

My 2020 model X Raven will not open doors from mainscreen after update to this version. If I push open doors icon many times the front doors opens at last, but the falconwingdoors will not open at all.
V11 has some conflicts with the firmware on early Model 3's. The conflict blanks out the screen and makes the car VERY difficult to start if you are using PIN to Start. Several early M3's were in the Service Center with the same problem. TESLA's testing procedure needs some serious review. Perhaps they didn't test against your year of the MX?? The source of our problem was a firmware conflict.

The new interface is pretty crummy in all the ways mentioned, but what I find most aggravating is the blind spot display location when the directional is on. This is a positively dangerous position. It needs to be as high as possible on the display. Anything else draws your eyes downward and away from the very maneuver you're trying to accomplish, namely making a turn. PLEASE FIX IT before somebody has a wreck!

“Every human input is an error” (in) famously said Elon. The V11 increases the human input. For example, turning the seat warmers takes 4 taps instead of one tap; turning the defogger takes 3 taps instead of one tap; etc. Hence, according to Elon, V11 is more erroneous than V10.