Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Update Download Size Database

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to find out how large an update is prior to downloading it? I was thinking that it might be good to see if I should try and find wifi or just use my phone as a hotspot. (Although I've not a single time been able to connect to wifi at home/work, even when my phone can easily connect)

(I went from 2021.4.18.10 to 2021.4.21.3 and it took 1.07 GB btw)

There’s no way to find out the update size from Tesla, but you could wait to hear from others who have already downloaded it.

Meanwhile, try to solve your WiFi issue. The car should connect — what happens when you try? If you’re using 5gHz WiFi, try using 2.4 instead.

There’s no way to find out the update size from Tesla, but you could wait to hear from others who have already downloaded it.

Meanwhile, try to solve your WiFi issue. The car should connect — what happens when you try? If you’re using 5gHz WiFi, try using 2.4 instead.
The car can never find the router/WiFi connection at work + home (it does see other networks though). Based on reading others' experiences it seems like the car just isn't able to connect unless it's pretty close to the signal source.

From memory it's 1-2gb generally. Tesla could change it in the future, create a patch system etc... I presume it's bigger when there's also a map update, or when new games are added...

Of note I downloaded 2021.12.25.7 and then went to play Sky Force Reloaded; a progress bar popped up and stated waiting for the game to download.

This is the first time I've ever seen this; been then I don't really play the games.

Reactions: play150
I have had some new games do the same (the game needs an update message) and be unplayable for a while. Some people have reported waiting a few minutes on wifi and the games were updated. In my case, the car is on wifi every day at home and it took another full update of the car's software before it worked. YMMV.

The car can never find the router/WiFi connection at work + home (it does see other networks though). Based on reading others' experiences it seems like the car just isn't able to connect unless it's pretty close to the signal source.
The WiFi signal in my garage is weak, but both cars can still connect. Are there any security settings on your home router that would prevent your car from connecting?

If it is just a weak signal, try a WiFi extender to boost the signal where you park.

I've been doing this but I mainly want to avoid the mobile data costs especially if it's a large update/map update

I really wouldn't bother then. I have unlimited hotspot so it's a non issue for myself.

My Spotify use, streaming movie use, etc are individually enough to blow past most peoples ~ 6GB/mth limit. Let alone occasional Tesla downloads.

Update (bsdiff40) from 2021.4.15 to 2021.4.18.2 was about 600Mb. Full 2021.4.18.2 is 1.6Gb. Version 2021.12.25.7 is 1.8Gb. There is also a way to upgrade with USB drive but you need firmware files and Service Plus mode enabled on your car so it's generally useless. Dunno why - it could be a great option to reduce wifi and server load.