TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla updated their supercharger site for 2020

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Seattle, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Seattle

Seattle Member

See it at https://ww.electrek.co/2020/01/01/tesla-updates-2020-supercharger-map/ or Find Us | Tesla.

I'd describe it as disappointing, not that many new spots.

Still on the future list (I focused on Washington):
    • Forks, WA
    • Chela, WA
    • Okanoga, WA
    • Yakima (think this was there before)
    • Olympia/Tumwater
    • Enumclaw, WA
    • Tacoma, WA
    • Longview, WA
    • Hood River, OR
    • Bellevue
    • Seattle at Univ. Village
    • Kirkland at Totem Lake
    • Seattle at Northgate Mall
    • North Vancouver, West Vancouver
    Maybe new?
    • Boardman, OR
    • lots of them around Portland
    • Anchorage, Alaska

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Legacystar

Legacystar Member

Strangle the Bothell one still isn't on the coming soon list, dispite it being built as we speak.

3. N8DGR8

N8DGR8 Member

Moses lake is completely missing. My crystal ball is that Portland gets a lot of urban charges next year.

• Like x 1
  4. acarney

acarney Active Member

Hopefully these won't all be in pay garages, or if they are they'll work out a reasonable "validation" with the garage. They also really need to avoid garages that require valet. I think there's one garage down there that has some Tesla destination chargers or something that has "free valet" with the garage parking cost, but it requires it, and I've seen some horrible reviews of cars being scratched and everything else from this...

There's a handful on that list that are already under construction, or at least permitted. I believe Forks and Tumwater are under construction, and I think Northgate was at least permitted in 2019.

Hood River and Boardman were both on the list last year (at least by November) but there has been zero supercharger activity in OR for most of 2019. I would love to see both of these show up in the first few months as it would really help fill out that route so you can optimize the charge at a low SOC or not fully charge to make the next location, etc.

Yakima was on the list last year as well and I'm really surprised we didn't see it get built out with how many they installed in WA last year. I'm really hoping this doesn't mark the end of focus for WA for a couple years or anything and they build out Yakima and at least a handful others to expand the ability for mountain driving or more remote recreation areas.

One interesting note is Ritzville USED to have another pin with a "Coming by the end of 2019" on it. I think everyone hoped that meant Ritzville was either going to get expanded, or another location would be built with V3 stations or something and the old one retired. However, with that removal I'm now expecting Ritzville to remain a 4 station V2 location, especially with Spokane opening up. While the even the SR+ probably doesn't NEED Ritzville for the Seattle to Spokane (once Moses Lake opens) or Tri Cities to Spokane, it would really have been nice for an expansion here. I suspect it'll still be busy as an opportunity stop for the Tri-Cities to Spokane people (it's a nice half way stop) and probably even the Seattle to Spokane people that stop in Ellensberg and then Ritzville. Not to mention anyone going to Pullman or anything...

5. theeskimo

theeskimo Member

North Vancouver and West Vancouver? You sure those aren't referencing BC?

6. Seattle

Seattle Member

Sorry, yes, those were meant to be in BC. I can't edit my posting now to fix it...

• Like x 1
  7. ptronus31

ptronus31 LR AWD Aeros

Spokane shows as pending, yet is already online. Tesla's map needs a thorough updating, not just a cursory one to update the 2019 dates to 2020.

• Like x 3
  8. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

They've still been moving the goalposts on that one on US highway 20 in Burns, OR for the past few years, but I'm surprised they don't even have a potential "coming soon" marker on US highway 95 on that route between Winnemucca and Boise.

9. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Since there's nothing suitable near the mid-point of that 253 mile stretch, they would need to add two superchargers, most likely in McDermitt and Jordan Valley (or somewhere near Jordan Valley).

10. Vic_F

Vic_F Member

Rome Station is far enough from Jordan Valley to be workable in most situations as a single site on the Hwy 95 route. In general they need to fill in north/south routes

• Like x 1
  11. Rocky_H

Certainly no need for two. Any one place in there would be plenty. It could be any of those places, like McDermitt, Jordan Valley, or Rome Station.

12. VandalSibs

VandalSibs Member

I really wish there was supercharging along US 95 in general - I've got old college friends in Boise that I'd love to visit with my new car, and the US 95 drive thru Idaho is prettier than the interstate routes thru Washington & Oregon. I know there's some Level 2 stuff enroute, but in an SR+ that's a long wait or two in the middle

• Like x 1
  13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

#13 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    That's not how Tesla works. If it's a 253 mile gap, they'll want two.
    Maybe in the past they'd be satisified, but that's not how they roll now. They understand the importance of density, especially with their vehicles now able to tow.

It's especially true since it's 70mph. If speeds were slower, maybe they could get away with larger gaps.

There could be a similar situation with Burns, OR. Tesla says it'll split Bend, OR to Boise, ID with Burns, OR and Ontario, OR, but that means having two 130 mile stretches, and Burns, OR to Ontario, OR is mostly 65mph. I think they'll look for something else in there.

• Like x 1
  14. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

As a fellow experienced Tesla driver, of course I agree with you. But you are approaching this from a "what would work for me" standpoint and not Tesla's perspective. From Tesla's perspective, they need to idiot-proof the supercharger highway. With approximately a million Teslas out on the road now, we are beyond the early adopter stage, and quite frankly, there are some idiots out there driving Teslas. If you don't believe me, go read some of the n00b questions posted in local groups on social media.

Anyways, they have to plan for the worst case scenario, which is a clueless driver in a SR3 driving fast in winter. And the stretch from Jordan Valley to Winnemucca could definitely eat that guy alive. And quite frankly, running out of battery in that scenario is downright dangerous since there might not be a cell signal and there might not even be other cars passing by at certain times of day.

• Like x 2
  15. Rocky_H

What I'm hearing from you guys, though, is that we have been forbidden from getting one these past few years because someone thinks there needs to be two instead. That doesn't make much sense. They should have had one in long before now just to get the damn route working, and they could add a second one in another two years or five years or never, for all I care.

• Like x 1
  16. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

You didn’t hear that from me.
    But yes, the latter part of your post is how Tesla works. They won’t do just one supercharger to enable a white knuckle route. They will do two to make it idiot-proof.

17. drtimhill

drtimhill Active Member

I suspect its the one listed as Totem Lake, since that one seems to be DOA.

18. Raleel

Raleel Member

agreed, both of those would be excellent. I like the Dalles and Cousins, but boardman would make Bend much nicer for my LR.

still waiting on Yakima. That one covers new ground, rather than making things more convenient.

• Like x 2
  19. Rocky_H

I know that's not literally what you are saying, but that is the effect that is really happening.
    The longer section from McDermitt north is 183 miles. Doesn't seem that close to "white knuckle" category, especially with so many of their vehicles having 300+ miles of rated range now.

20. acarney

acarney Active Member

Longview just got a permit (Kelso, WA) and we have another Vancouver, WA location going up at the Vancouver Mall. I suspect the mall location will be urban superchargers, but I have no facts to back that up...

• Like x 2