Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla Updates" Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got this in my email, from Tesla:

"Autopilot Updates
We just released the latest version of Autopilot. You can now experience Enhanced Autopilot features including Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Parallel + Perpendicular Autopark, and Summon. Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward + Side Collision Warning, and more advanced safety features are also active and standard.

All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. And Tesla vehicles continue to improve with over-the-air software updates, introducing new features and improving existing functionality to make your vehicle safer and more capable over time."

Sounds like "silky smooth" is ready to go wide. And that they'll now announce new versions via email.

Reactions: chillaban
Also got the email, and I also only have AP1. This part sure doesn't sound like what we've been told about AP1:
All Tesla vehicles have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.

I imagine they mean "all new Tesla vehicles," i.e. AP2. Clearly they can't mean all Tesla vehicles, since you can buy a CPO Model S without any flavor of AP.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Because "you" can buy a car even if it's not your first one.

Yes. The email was poorly written and was not clear. Since I am up to snuff on all of the models, capabilities,etc. I know it wasn't meant for me but they should have either been more clear or not sent it to AP 1 owners. A lot of owners who don't obsess on the forums like we do will be confused by this :)

I sorta get it, AP2 owners are priority and I don't mind those bretheren and sisteren getting priority over other features.
But once AP2 is at parity with AP1, I hope Tesla refocuses a bit on general software updates that all Tesla owners can benefit from.

I'd love to see better voice controls for instance. Or screen responsiveness. Better integration with phone, "send to tesla" when you tap on an address for instance, or calendar synch that does not require bluetooth connectivity, or that damn screen mirroring, .. or carplay!!

Am I understanding correctly that all new Teslas come with 8 camera and 12 US sensors, but only some are active based on consumer choice as follows:

Default: one camera active
Enhanced: 4 cameras active and 12 US sensors active
Full: 8 cameras active and 12 US sensors active

Am I understanding correctly that all new Teslas come with 8 camera and 12 US sensors, but only some are active based on consumer choice as follows:

Default: one camera active
Enhanced: 4 cameras active and 12 US sensors active
Full: 8 cameras active and 12 US sensors active

That’s what they said originally but I don’t know if I believe it. If the extra sensors make faux AP1 and EAP easier to implement I find it hard to believe they are going to spend more money and engineering time making the system work with fewer cameras than just using them all and software gimping the lesser packages.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
That’s what they said originally but I don’t know if I believe it. If the extra sensors make faux AP1 and EAP easier to implement I find it hard to believe they are going to spend more money and engineering time making the system work with fewer cameras than just using them all and software gimping the lesser packages.
Fair reasoning but I'm not sure what functionality you are thinking about for the default package. It does not e.g. include dynamic cruise control. Actually, do you know of anything besides forward emergency braking and an alert if reverse will hit something that the default, base option enables ?

Fair reasoning but I'm not sure what functionality you are thinking about for the default package. It does e.g. include dynamic cruise control. Actually, do you know of anything besides forward emergency braking and an alert if reverse will hit something that the default, base option enables ?

Sorry for being rushed on my phone…

Some people who ordered an AP1 during the AP2 cutover were actually offered a $2500 same-as-AP1-priced "AP1 Convenience Features" package on AP2 hardware. It was basically advertised as the same feature set as AP1, e.g. no self-lane-changing, no onramp-to-offramp, no Summon+. You had to choose between this or forking over the price difference to EAP.

Right now to date, I believe the handful of owners in that camp have reported that their car behaves exactly like EAP cars. So it's not clear when if ever those features will end up diverging.

I'd expect all levels of AP2 software functionality to use as many cameras as they need to make Tesla's engineering job easier.

In case it's not clear, this was sent to everyone with any communications affiliation with Tesla. I'm on the newsletter list and have Model 3 reservations and got it also last night. So, it's a press release sort of thing and not just for owners. And poorly written, as we've seen. You'd think they'd run it by 'technical' before pushing send....

Don't forget, it's 2 weeks until the end of a quarter and Tesla has 1,000 inventory cars ready in the USA. This email wasn't really meant for current owners. This is a marketing email to tell anyone thinking about a Tesla that if they have heard any rumblings that AP on new cars isn't "working" that it is now working and they should go make that purchase.

Notice that every car sold in the last 2 weeks has the latest AP update, yet the current owner fleet hardly has it? This is all about new car sales.

Last edited: