Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla updates Key Card access to no longer require placement on center console to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I just tried it and it still prompted me to place the card on the console. I do hope this is a real update. I hate having to dig my wallet out of my pocket after putting on the seat belt. BTW I'm on SW v 2021.24.4

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
Did you use your card key to unlock the door by placing it against the pillar? Reading the article, it sounds like Tesla (supposedly) changed the software so it essentially doesn’t require a key if you start driving within 3 minutes of using the key to unlock the door. This is more convenient but is a completely different technique than a keyfob with a proximity sensor.

Think of it like having 2 doors with scan pads. When you open the outer door, the inner door unlocks as well but then locks itself again after 3 minutes. The inner scan pad can’t magically sense your ID from further away, it just gets triggered by the first one.

Did you use your card key to unlock the door by placing it against the pillar? Reading the article, it sounds like Tesla (supposedly) changed the software so it essentially doesn’t require a key if you start driving within 3 minutes of using the key to unlock the door. This is more convenient but is a completely different technique than a keyfob with a proximity sensor.
That's exactly how it works. Thanks for the suggestion and comments.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I think the Tesla engineers are trying to mess with me... never use the keycard (just phone) which works perfectly unless...
- it's raining hard
- my arms are full
- (new one) I go to the supermarket and pull into a spot blocked by a carriage that nobody put away. I jump out of my car quickly to move it while halfway in the spot (no cars coming down the row) and then a few cars pull in and as I jump back in the car (blocking half the aisle) it doesn't recognize my phone and I have to find my keycard while cars are starting to back up.

I think the Tesla engineers are trying to mess with me... never use the keycard (just phone) which works perfectly unless...
- it's raining hard
- my arms are full
- (new one) I go to the supermarket and pull into a spot blocked by a carriage that nobody put away. I jump out of my car quickly to move it while halfway in the spot (no cars coming down the row) and then a few cars pull in and as I jump back in the car (blocking half the aisle) it doesn't recognize my phone and I have to find my keycard while cars are starting to back up.
When it doesn’t recognize your phone quickly turn off Bluetooth (Apple is just swiping down from top right corner) and then turn it back on. Takes 5 seconds and the car recognizes the phone again. I fixed the issue by buying the Tesla key. It works 100% of the time.

I'll put in a pitch for the remote/fob. Works very well and keeps this old luddite happy with the familiar feeling of a key in my pocket. ;)
The cell phone is very convenient, but one drawback is I will often forget it on the charging rest. It's black so it blends in well but I'm essentially leaving the car unlocked with the keys in when I do that! 😲 Fortunately I tend to miss my phone pretty quickly, but the key fob eliminates that issue.

- it's raining hard
- my arms are full
They all sit an a room looking at the live video of you approaching with the bags in your hands, laughing. They watch and they go “lock! lock! lock!” And the lucky guy/gal presses the 6-inch diameter red button that says “Lock PatinCT” just as you reach out. Then they share a video of your face from the exterior and interior cameras on their YouTube channel. Everyone in this forum is subscribed to it.

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung