Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla updating Model S headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure how you can say that. They may very well be but it’s not as if anyone has done a comparison.

Any lights in the pitch black are going to look pretty bright.

You can tell by the beam cutoff and how it lights up the periphery. Our current lights have a sloppy cutoff and barely lights up the sides. You can see how bright they are and the cutoff starting at 3:45 in the video. I really hope we can retrofit these.

Last edited:
Well it turns out I was given bad information. Although my VIN was assigned the day of the news of the new headlights and that my car would have that configuration, my car is actually the old configuration.

Question, would it be worth it to unmatch and put myself back in the queue?

Well it turns out I was given bad information. Although my VIN was assigned the day of the news of the new headlights and that my car would have that configuration, my car is actually the old configuration.

Question, would it be worth it to unmatch and put myself back in the queue?
If you can wait, I would unmatch and ask for a new VIN that has confirmed headlight updates - otherwise you may regret it later.

Just got my Vin. It is a 473xxx.

Up thread "highish 472xxx" is mentioned to have the newer lighting. How about 473xxx? Am I correct in assuming that since it's a higher number it would have a later production date and include the latest rendition of lighting?
Not necessarily. VINs used to be allocated in pre production and similar cars are made out of order.

So how does one figure out the attributes\date of production of an assigned vin?
I’m looking for someone to provide a good answer here.

You used to be able to have your SA lookup the manufacture week. I don’t think that works anymore. So one month stamp on the door will have both old and new headlamps, and you can’t see that anyway until delivery.

I don’t think you can reverse engineer the option codes anymore by looking at the VIN link, or even if you could, not sure there is a new code for one of the options in this refresh.

C01EF506-F9A8-43DA-9065-F7A5DB4B96A8.jpeg
FD5A0BF9-EDB1-4B69-9770-454D238E34D7.jpeg
F4A75165-5F44-4DDE-B25E-E8DDD5111E82.jpeg