Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla updating Model S headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cyb_
Interesting. I wonder if they have completely cleared stock of the old Headlights then. Mine may need to be replaced because of an issue with them staying on after car is off for a while (DRL stays on at a dimmed state).

Interesting. I wonder if they have completely cleared stock of the old Headlights then. Mine may need to be replaced because of an issue with them staying on after car is off for a while (DRL stays on at a dimmed state).
Don’t worry. They have plenty of replacement “old style” lights for you.

They will not be offering paid or warranty-related retrofits.

FWIW, I asked Tesla Chat if I was being assigned an inventory vehicle, and they said to me that "There are no inventory cars for Model S they come right off the line to you!" I know that Tesla customer service isn't always reliable information, but somewhat conflicts with the message that Plaid orders are being assigned inventory and the changes are only coming to LR for now.

What they said may be true for their cars now, but sometimes it is not that way. Also, if production has been suspended as reported, new VIN assignments should stop today or very soon, else the car has already been built.

The current headlights are rated poor by the NHTSA. They are not good on low beam illumination. High beam is OK. The new ones are matrix LED headlights, and couldn't be any worse. Should be much better, depending on how much of the matrix they can use in US.

What's your source of info on that, no retrofits?

And... were you ever part of a social network called "The Palace"?
Because that’s how they handle all other replacement and warranty parts. All parts used during a build are coded directly to the VIN and they have plenty of stock/supply for replacements.

And no, I dont know what the Palace is.

Because that’s how they handle all other replacement and warranty parts. All parts used during a build are coded directly to the VIN and they have plenty of stock/supply for replacements.

And no, I dont know what the Palace is.
With the Headlights being a part of their original plan i am definitely sure that there will be retrofits down the line at least for this part. I don't remember when but someone had said before that their source at Tesla said they were clearing inventory of the old Headlight before they start with the new ones.

Just gotta wait to find out. My current defective headlights need to be replaced so i guess i will wait a little longer to see if someone else takes theirs in for a replacement first.

With the Headlights being a part of their original plan i am definitely sure that there will be retrofits down the line at least for this part. I don't remember when but someone had said before that their source at Tesla said they were clearing inventory of the old Headlight before they start with the new ones.

Just gotta wait to find out. My current defective headlights need to be replaced so i guess i will wait a little longer to see if someone else takes theirs in for a replacement first.
Nope. Tesla sells new vehicles.

They don’t like offering retrofits for old ones. I’m sure they will sell you the parts but you are own your own to install and make them work with your vehicles software. I can guarantee there will be no officially supported retrofit program.

When “some guy on the internet” said Tesla was clearing out the old inventory, that means for the production line only. It does not mean replacements for the old style headlights no longer exist.

Nope. Tesla sells new vehicles.

They don’t like offering retrofits for old ones. I’m sure they will sell you the parts but you are own your own to install and make them work with your vehicles software. I can guarantee there will be no officially supported retrofit program.

When “some guy on the internet” said Tesla was clearing out the old inventory, that means for the production line only. It does not mean replacements for the old style headlights no longer exist.
LOL where the hell is your source on all your negativity? you seem to respond like you work on the inside. If you can't give a source for knowing why tesla won't allow retrofits, i suggest you shove it. They've already done a few retrofit for cars that had the space for a specific hardware sold without it.

Honestly man, you have no proof for your statement. You just sound sour.