Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla updating Model S headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL where the hell is your source on all your negativity? you seem to respond like you work on the inside. If you can't give a source for knowing why tesla won't allow retrofits, i suggest you shove it. They've already done a few retrofit for cars that had the space for a specific hardware sold without it.

Honestly man, you have no proof for your statement. You just sound sour.
Source = 7 years of Tesla ownership.

As I said above. You can’t prove a negative.

So you tell us who YOUR source is that thinks Tesla is magically going to start offering retrofits. Or that they will magically start replacing old headlights with new ones under warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo and Cyb_
Didn't Tesla offer a MCU upgrade for a fee at one time? I remember reading about that, but I could be mistaken.
Yes they did. But that was offered because their hand was forced. The MCU is a critical component of the vehicles operation and there was a defective design with the memory chip in old units that would always result in failure over time.

A better example of something they do not offer retrofits for that they very easily could, is a heated steering wheel for early M3/Y.

LOL where the hell is your source on all your negativity? you seem to respond like you work on the inside. If you can't give a source for knowing why tesla won't allow retrofits, i suggest you shove it. They've already done a few retrofit for cars that had the space for a specific hardware sold without it.

Honestly man, you have no proof for your statement. You just sound sour.
No one’s being sour but it wouldn’t make much sense from a business standpoint and a R&D standpoint to offer a retrofit.

The time and money spent to retrofit the cars would be the lowest priority for tesla as they already have their hands full with many other pressing issues.

Plus how would they incentivize people buying the new cars with the matrix lights if the “old” ones can be retrofitted.

Also matrix headlights are almost always a pretty intensive retrofit if possible

No one’s being sour but it wouldn’t make much sense from a business standpoint and a R&D standpoint to offer a retrofit.

The time and money spent to retrofit the cars would be the lowest priority for tesla as they already have their hands full with many other pressing issues.

Plus how would they incentivize people buying the new cars with the matrix lights if the “old” ones can be retrofitted.

Also matrix headlights are almost always a pretty intensive retrofit if possible
The point i was trying to make was that the headlights don't seem to be different from the current headlights. This wouldn't even be considered a retrofit and more of a replacement. That's all i was trying to say. @glide on the other hand just seems adamant that nothing of that sort would ever happen without any basis of Tesla saying so.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Source = 7 years of Tesla ownership.

As I said above. You can’t prove a negative.

So you tell us who YOUR source is that thinks Tesla is magically going to start offering retrofits. Or that they will magically start replacing old headlights with new ones under warranty.
7 years of ownership is not a source. Try again.

• Disagree

then tell us about the ongoing HW2 upgrade program and how it doesn't exist, with the upgrade cameras.

Obsolescence is key to ensuring a continual flow of new buyers. Well said bud.

Tesla nor any manufacturer really is into design of their product for longer then necessary to balance customer satisfaction with diminishing perceived value. The trick has always been to produce just enough to entice, to keep one content with their product but to also ensure they keep coming back for more.

Hence pabia’s comments about sound business sense. Tesla is a corp. It will make decisions for the corp and for shareholders which achieve max profitability and longer term survival based on continued growth in new sales.

Reactions: pabla
It may not be that easy to swap headlights. Other manufacturers such as Porsche or even Land Rover have backward comparability issues with older models. When JLR updated the Range Rover sport, the updated tail lights didn’t work with the electronics. Same with the Porsche 991.1 transition to 991.2 lights.

Reactions: Cyb_
It may not be that easy to swap headlights. Other manufacturers such as Porsche or even Land Rover have backward comparability issues with older models. When JLR updated the Range Rover sport, the updated tail lights didn’t work with the electronics. Same with the Porsche 991.1 transition to 991.2 lights.
That does make sense but in Tesla's setup, the cable is already present. This info is from a Tesla Technician whose seen and compared the wiring.

Tesla's goal for the S had also been to not change too much on the body of the S and X. Their focus was on the interior. This was why I wondered if we'd get access to the new headlights.

• Disagree
That does make sense but in Tesla's setup, the cable is already present. This info is from a Tesla Technician whose seen and compared the wiring.

Tesla's goal for the S had also been to not change too much on the body of the S and X. Their focus was on the interior. This was why I wondered if we'd get access to the new headlights.
How many different ways can people tell you “no”?

If you read the previous post, the wiring being present has nothing to do with compatibility. You are always going to run into a software issue.

Reactions: Destiny1701
How many different ways can people tell you “no”?

If you read the previous post, the wiring being present has nothing to do with compatibility. You are always going to run into a software issue.
Agreed. Tesla does not make parts backward compatible for a reason. Simple. Obsolescence.

You want new lights? Go buy a new MS. That’s ALL corporate thinking…not just Tesla.

Try asking this for an ice manufacturer lol. Ie. my bmw is a 2016 but the 2017 is refreshed. But…I want those lights! Not gonna happen.

If early 2021 Model 3's are not getting retrofit of matrix headlights, Model S won't either.

So far any retrofits Tesla has offered is directly related to FSD/autopilot. Non-core functionality has not been offered for retrofit.