Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla updating Model S headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's correct. It was a serious wake-up call going from my 2019 Model 3 (which wasn't even matrix LEDs) to the 2021 Model S Plaid. Unless people have had experience with both, they don't know what they're missing. The Model S headlights are objectively crap. A lot of people are just used to crap headlights, - that's the issue. Don't get me wrong, there are cars with worse headlights, but very few in this price range.
As a former Model 3 owner, I approve of this message.

Reactions: WilliamG
The refresh MS lights are junk for a $100K+ vehicle. Absolute junk.

My Model Y headlights absolutely thrash them. It’s embarrassing Tesla shipped any refreshed Model S without updating the headlights.
As a former Model 3 owner, I approve of this message.
I was in denial before I picked the car up, since others had said these are the same crap lights in use since 2016. Absolute denial I was in, that they could be so bad...

My first night drove, though? I was more than depressed, especially in the rain of Seattle. Awful... Made me miss my Model 3.

@BostonBurley Seriously? The headlights on my January 2013 S P85 feel like oil lamps compared to the LED pixel headlights on October 2021 M3P. The difference on dark country roads is...night and day. Is something wrong with my S headlights that could be fixed with new parts?

He’s absolutely right. The original 2012-early 2016 HIDs were much better than the 2016-2022 LEDs in the Model S.

The 3/Y are light years (pun intended) better than both, but the 2016-2022 S lights are the worst of the bunch by a mile.

He’s absolutely right. The original 2012-early 2016 HIDs were much better than the 2016-2022 LEDs in the Model S.

The 3/Y are light years (pun intended) better than both, but the 2016-2022 S lights are the worst of the bunch by a mile.
If I remember correctly, not all early model s’s came with HIDs. You had to have the tech package to have the HID lights.
Without the tech package you got those yellow bulb lights that weren’t as good.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd and tm1v2

Also one could upgrade the HID bulbs for something brighter and even change out the lens for an even better light spread. The 2016-2022 LEDs you were basically stuck with what you got

Reactions: cmarshack
for Those that think the current headlights are sufficient - have you owned many other high end cars? I find in the Tesla community that there are SOME "car guys" but there are a quite a few that have bought a Tesla or even a plaid simply because its electric. If you're coming out of an Audi, Porsche, or MB with LED or laser lighting, the MS lights are horrible. If youve been driving a 10 yo toyota, your perspective may be different.

for Those that think the current headlights are sufficient - have you owned many other high end cars? I find in the Tesla community that there are SOME "car guys" but there are a quite a few that have bought a Tesla or even a plaid simply because its electric. If you're coming out of an Audi, Porsche, or MB with LED or laser lighting, the MS lights are horrible. If youve been driving a 10 yo toyota, your perspective may be different.
I’m guessing “no”. These are likely the same buyers who find the build quality acceptable.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I come from owning many 5 Series BMW’s, last being a 2021. And yes the 5 Series are better, but I don’t think by much. The 5 had icon adaptive lights, but not laser. Except miss how they turn with the steering wheel. At least, I don’t noice a major difference. Would need them side by side to probably really notice.

It's not just what headlights you've had before, it's also where you drive. In urban areas and on major highways with lighting the huge difference between my Model S and Model 3 headlights doesn't matter. It's only when I get out into rural areas where the difference suddenly becomes a game changer.

I didn't used to spend as much time in rural areas as I do now, so I never had reason to prioritize fancy headlights before. I'd been in plenty of cars with fancier headlights and besides the different color tone, they didn't make much practical difference when the roads are already lit. Now that I do a lot more driving on rural roads, yes, big difference!

Reactions: ucmndd
It's not just what headlights you've had before, it's also where you drive. In urban areas and on major highways with lighting the huge difference between my Model S and Model 3 headlights doesn't matter. It's only when I get out into rural areas where the difference suddenly becomes a game changer.

I didn't used to spend as much time in rural areas as I do now, so I never had reason to prioritize fancy headlights before. I'd been in plenty of cars with fancier headlights and besides the different color tone, they didn't make much practical difference when the roads are already lit. Now that I do a lot more driving on rural roads, yes, big difference!
This is key here. Couldn't have agreed more.

Under street-lighted condition, just about any headlights will do the trick. So well, in fact, some people inadvertently drive without headlights on and not realize it!

This all quickly changes for the worse when there is little to no street lighting for significant stretches, you are the only car on the road in either direction (i.e. no buddy lighting), and crucially the road is not straight and unfamiliar. Add weather element(s) and it all quickly snowballs (no pun intended).

After all, there's a reason why IIHS rated the Model S headlights 'poor', their lowest rating.

I will also point out it is more about contrast and clarity than it is about outright brightness and coverage of the beam. Part of the issue with the Model S headlight is the extreme un-uniformity within the primary coverage area (i.e. tons of hot & cool spots). There are also extreme glares and spread off-primary zone. Jointly they cast a confusing texture over the road and objects, thus reducing overall visual contrast and clarity. Again, you will not realize this unless you're operating in a subpar environment.

This by the way was Tesla's own doing -- trying to be too crafty by moving to a multi-element LED design with poorly engineered reflective shapes and surfaces. Inexperience at the time, perhaps? I think they've learned and improve drastically since -- case in point, Model 3/Y. It's only now they have rolled out the same for the Model S. Maybe the intention all along was to include it with every 2021.5+ (refreshed) S/X, but the pandemic got in the way, along with the tilting screens, extended ambiance lighting, etc., but I digress.

Not the best video quality for night footage, but this guy got the new rear and headlights. It is not much of a surprise but it does look like a major improvement. With matrix, I am wondering if they could mimic turning (pivoting beam toward the curve of the road... not sure what you would call this) lights by opening up the angle.

Reactions: ucsdsig
Not the best video quality for night footage, but this guy got the new rear and headlights. It is not much of a surprise but it does look like a major improvement. With matrix, I am wondering if they could mimic turning (pivoting beam toward the curve of the road... not sure what you would call this) lights by opening up the angle.

The lights are so much brighter. Night and day difference. I really hope we can retrofit this. I would pay $3000.