Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Upgrade - Trade-in VS Sell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would they not leverage the tax savings and make more for themselves? Every dealer I have been to does this - Dodge, Acura, BMW.

The law is in place to benefit the dealers. They donate lots of money to keep laws in their favor.

There are lots of people that will line up to take your money without adding value if you will let them.
I've found that Tesla is one of them.
Tesla complains about how Dealers treat customers and hold themselves out as being better.
If a Dealer does this to me, I go to another Dealer down the street who will not.
I do not have that option with Tesla (and yes, I'm going to buy a Tesla).
In this instance, not only is Tesla not better than a Dealer, they are knowingling using their monopoly to be worse.
Still buying Tesla but doing so with my eyes wide open.

BTW, for those so willing to accept that 3rd parties should be allowed to participate in a tax transaction, you really need to remember that said transaction is between you and the state. The 3rd party in this case simply has a duty to collect the tax as a function of holding the dealer's license (actually, for holding the state tax ID). You may be ok with the 3rd party having their hands in your pocket while adding no value; I am not. The money in question either belongs in my pocket (the person who earned it) or the state's (provided they have a legal right to the tax in question).