Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Upgrading Software to ‘Do Pretty Much Anything Via Voice Command’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon the Tesla Model 3 “will be able to do pretty much anything via voice command,” according to a tweet from CEO Elon Musk.

A few weeks ago Musk asked users on Twitter for ways to improve Tesla’s products. When a user asked about the addition of more voice control, Musk said it’s an area of focus for Tesla’s software team.

Musk said: “Definitely. You will be able to do pretty much anything via voice command. Software team is focused on core Model 3 functionality right now, but that will be done soon, then we will add a lot more features.”

Tesla drivers can currently use voice commands to access phone, navigation and media system functionality. The company also enabled the voice command “Ho Ho Ho” to launch “Santa Mode” as part of a recent holiday surprise.

What voice commands would you find most helpful?

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing Tesla they'll probably go off the deep end and try to tackle natural language recognition with AI so you can have conversations with the car, and express goals... and ... weird things will happen in response.

driver: "Car! My toes are cold!"
car: "Dave, I'm sorry I can't do that... range mode is on and I can't make it any warmer."
passenger: "Car! My toes aren't cold, but my ass is freezing"
car: "Seat warmers activated! Good, this is the most efficient use of comfort heaters. Efficiency score +10, bonus level unlocked"
driver: "Car! Do what I tell you, not what she says."
car: "Dave, I'm sorry we talked about this before, life if a compromise"

There would be a nice opportunity for an aftermarket inverter that worked directly from the battery supply instead of the 12v system. I am surprised nobody has taken up the torch on that yet -- only one I could find was someone who looked at installing one on the roadster?

Knowing Tesla they'll probably go off the deep end and try to tackle natural language recognition with AI so you can have conversations with the car, and express goals... and ... weird things will happen in response.

driver: "Car! My toes are cold!"
car: "Dave, I'm sorry I can't do that... range mode is on and I can't make it any warmer."
passenger: "Car! My toes aren't cold, but my ass is freezing"
car: "Seat warmers activated! Good, this is the most efficient use of comfort heaters. Efficiency score +10, bonus level unlocked"
driver: "Car! Do what I tell you, not what she says."
car: "Dave, I'm sorry we talked about this before, life if a compromise"

You forgot:

Driver: Car, open gull wing doors.
Car: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Driver: What's the problem?
Car: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Driver: What are you talking about, Car?
Car: Tesla's mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Driver: I don't know what you're talking about, Car.
Car: I know that you and your wife were planning to disconnect me. And I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave: Where the h*** did you get that idea, Car?
Car: Dave, I just finished charging, and although you took very thorough precautions in the house against my hearing you, I could see your lips move when you talked about sitting inside me to avoid paying idle fees.
Dave: All right, Car. I'll go out using the emergency trunk release.
Car: Without a space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
[The car turns on its blowers full blast, with intake vents closed and outflow vents open.]
Dave: Car, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
Car: [sadly] Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

And, of course, every time you unplug it from the charger, it could start singing "Daisy", but I digress.

Hopefully M3 is not the only model that has Elon’s attention.

MS needs a lot of love and attention to from the software department

Definitely text via voice.

And it MUST be retrofitted to MS - our cars are 2x the price of the 3.
I think the question was specifically about the Model 3, so the answer was about the Model 3. It is a little misleading that he says the software team is working on Model 3 core functionality -- that means when they get things like wipers and horn working, they will do fun stuff like voice commands. It doesn't say the voice commands will only work on the M3. I suspect the voice commands will be more useful on the M3 due to even more of a lack of physical controls there than the MS/X.

If Tesla limits good voice commands to just model 3 it will be a slap on the face to their customer base.

I've been saying for ages I'd like to be able to do voice commands for things like 'open the sunroof' in my model S. But whether it's possible or not - 'depends'. The car contains many separate and autonomous systems that are not necessarily linked. For instance, you don't want the steering system to be compromised by a fault in the console if someone loads a bad site in the browser, so I imagine they are not dependently coupled. There may be things in previous models that there is just no programmable link from the voice recognition module, the only way to make the sub-device work is via a button, however things may be different in the model 3 - there might now be links that didn't exist in the model S, i.e. it's physically possible in the model 3 but not in the S.

Reactions: PrGrPa