Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Upper Control Arm CRACKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You discredit yourself when you try to claim that all control arms are defective and need to be replaced. Possibly some earlier versions may have higher rates of failure but still not be at a level requiring a recall.
On the latter statement, there does NOT need to be large population or percentage of affected vehicles for there to be a recall.

I listed some examples of When to report NHTSA issues? and another reply further down of recalls affecting small numbers of vehicles + 2 more here.

One of them there affecting ONE vehicle. Unfortunately, the link's dead. I've listed the number of affected vehicles for each of the following:
Toyota recalls 86 coupe over ignition-key troubles - Roadshow - 94
Smallest Recall Ever? A Solitary 2014 Chevrolet Volt Involved in Ten-Car Steering Recall - 10
Chrysler recalls small number of 2013-2014 cars and trucks over engine debris - 522
2014 Nissan LEAF Recall - Missing Spot Welds? Entire Vehicle Will Be Replaced Free Of Charge - 211
Ford issues three recalls, two of which cover fewer than five cars - Roadshow - One recall affected 4 vehicles. Another affected a whopping 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc and JRP3
snrp1.jpg
snrp2.JPG
snrp2.JPG

I'm quite late to the topic, but this image looks like a fatigue crack to me. The 'beach lines' are very visilbe, andthe part failed over multiple cycles of loading and unloading. Fatigue is very important to limit for all transport applications. This indicates to me that there was a defect (looks like on lower left of part) that initiated the fracture.
On the previous page, that extruded part with the immense cavity and bubbles looks like a very poor part as well, should not have passed internal quality control if ultrasonic testing was performed. I'm sure not all parts look like this in all cars, but this one should definitely not have passed.