Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sirricardo

MSM LR 19" Tow....The Unicorn.
Mar 31, 2018
Uk
Hi Guys,
I have been keen to buy a pre-owned tesla and was seeing ones around 45k available however in the last 6 months or so the budget ones have all disappeared and the lowest price one was 52k. This weekend they all dissapeared except one nearly new.
What do you all think is going on?
Is it warranty issues causing them to be unecconomical to sell with the 4 year warranty or perhaps tesla trying to encourage ppl to buy new?

Cheers

I’m not sure but with the amount tesla offered me as p/x on my S75 they don’t seem to be encouraging existing owners to trade then in! (For a Late 2016 facelift S75, with AP1, next gen seats, pano roof and 29,000 miles they offered £36,500)

Reactions: Couscous19
I have been monitoring prices for a year or so, and noticed the same thing. I thought it might have been demand outstripping supply, but DaveMUK’s comment seems to suggest they’re not looking for stock.

Teslas list of inventory is notorious for being all over the place. There are a number of CPO listing sites that show more cars than Tesla although even these sites can't agree on how many cars are out there. I use them for tracking the VINs (see the investor area on here) but what they all seem to indicate is that Tesla is either really hiding cars at the moment or are going to have the most amazing quarter:

EV-CPO.com - Tesla New, Used, and CPO Inventory Listings
https://www.teslainventory.com/
Tesla MS and MX cars for sale in the UK
FindMyEv

I predict based on previous quarters, we will see more cars, both CPO and Inventory appear now the quarter is over.

I’m not sure but with the amount tesla offered me as p/x on my S75 they don’t seem to be encouraging existing owners to trade then in! (For a Late 2016 facelift S75, with AP1, next gen seats, pano roof and 29,000 miles they offered £36,500)

That seems like a low offer I would expect they could sell it on for at least 48k maybe more. Perhaps there is a risk of the price dropping with the model 3 due soon. Have you got it advertised?

That seems like a low offer I would expect they could sell it on for at least 48k maybe more. Perhaps there is a risk of the price dropping with the model 3 due soon. Have you got it advertised?

No, not advertised anywhere, i was offered £45k from a local garage though. I was interested in a X, but what they offered is less than is due on the PCP. There appears to be no negotiation or discussion of the p/x price with them, it’s done by someone at the head office not the sales people (they seemed confused by the offer as well). The GMFV on it is £29k in 2 and a bit years so I don’t really understand how they are working things out!

@HKP_Tom presumably you are aware of, but aren't in the market for, one of the new Roadster-2 ones, coming in a couple of years time?

If its not something you are aware of the Specs look impressive :)

Yes, I'm aware of them, but I'm a real Lotus lover as well as EV lover, so the Roadster has always piqued my interest! Also, the space in my garage for my 'toy' car isn't that huge, but perhaps a Roadster 2 might fit :)

Ah, that makes sense:) I don't suppose there are many of the originals that came to the UK? and I suspect they are cherished by owners.

I've not had (or even been in) one of that shape of Lotus, but I had a couple of Esprit's back-in-the-day. The subsequent 3-series Turbo was a complete and utter handful, but my earlier 2.2 had amazing road holding - I seem to remember all the wishbone stuff wore out in under 10,000 miles, so presumably Colin Chapman considered those bits to be consumables in his quest for "like a leech with vertigo" :)

I'm considering trading in my 2017 model s after 1 year this September and hope tesla would make it attractive to do so against a new car but I'm a bit worried now about how much I will be offered if it's too low then maybe jaguar will offer more against an i-pace.

maybe jaguar will offer more against an i-pace

Intrigued why folk would want to move from Tesla to Jag. Nothing against Jag, but nothing would induce me, personally, to buy a Version-1 EV from a company ...

Bolt seems to have issues with a significant number of batteries - car just stops dead on the road.

Latest Nissan has RapidGate fast-charging issue

It seemed from the (admittedly very limited) information on Jag that the tapper during fast-charging was very pronounced. Add to that unknown battery degradation. Is the kWh/mile (real world, including in poor weather) reliably known yet?

Plus the issue of lack of availability of fast-charging (which of course is not an issue for everyone)

I'm sure the coach-building will be excellent, but other than that the unknowns seem to me to be a leap of faith.

I'm considering trading in my 2017 model s after 1 year this September and hope tesla would make it attractive to do so against a new car but I'm a bit worried now about how much I will be offered if it's too low then maybe jaguar will offer more against an i-pace.

Anecdotal basis only, but it doesn't seem like Tesla have any track-record of making 'attractive' offers for trade-ins, they do put a high residual value on their leases to get the cars into more people's hands, but once there they don't make it attractive to terminate early.

Similarly Jaguar are likely to have a well filled order-book and according to my local Jag dealer they are not really expecting to see much availability before spring next year...

I’ve been on the fence about ordering an MX and I’ve actually been invited and will be attending an ipace event in early May “apparently they are going around the UK”

I was gonna hang fire on ordering until after the event but the more I think about it and the more I look at the ipace I realize I want an MX and this is coming from someone who was actually thinking of getting a Velar or an Fpace before I fell in love with MX.

Sure jag make lovely great cars but given the finance rates your cheaper getting a Tesla also so much unknowns with the jag and no super charger network which for me is a big part of the deal of having a Tesla.

That’s why subject to anything major happening like I drop dead I’ll be getting my MX order in this week and definetly before the referral scheme renews on the 30th April when they may remove super charging :(

I've also got an invite for an i-Pace event middle of next month, but given the size is closer to the E-Pace than the F-Pace and the lack of a fast charger network I don't think it really matches up to the offerings from Tesla.