Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inv. - Request Additional Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading the forums and following EV-CPO and looking at other car sites, but mostly focused on cars on the Tesla Used Inventory. When I request photos, the variety of quality of the photos is quite big. Sometimes they are horrible with so many reflections you are not sure what they are showing you (I assume it is damage as its a panel or something). Other times they are decent (what is with all the road rash on the 21' wheels??? driving by feel?). However, some of the shots have that "glam" look to them which makes me suspicions. Just the car and all white around them where others you can see it is on a concrete floor with a white wall or drop.

Is there any way to get additional or better photos of the car if I find one that I am interested in? I have no problem buying it without seeing it in person (bought the boat in my profile that way), but I need to be able to request more detailed shots of imperfections to help decide whether I am willing to accept it as not only am I not getting to see the car, I cannot negotiate the price.

Also, does Tesla do any post purchase repairs to things once you take delivery or do you have to prove to them that they did not disclose it in the photos?

Is there any way to get additional or better photos of the car if I find one that I am interested in? I have no problem buying it without seeing it in person (bought the boat in my profile that way), but I need to be able to request more detailed shots of imperfections to help decide whether I am willing to accept it as not only am I not getting to see the car, I cannot negotiate the price.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The process is painful. I have inquired about several cars and have had zero luck getting anyone to provide me any additional photos. These cars are usually in storage somewhere and if you are talking to a Tesla used sale rep, they are in Vegas I believe (don't quote me on this).

Also, does Tesla do any post purchase repairs to things once you take delivery or do you have to prove to them that they did not disclose it in the photos?

Based on what I've gathered from reading peoples personal experiences, any damage they did not clearly disclose in the pictures, they will likely take care of, within reason. Seems to be a subjective grey area still. It's either they refund your deposit and you are welcome to go on your way at pick up, or they make an agreement to have certain items resolved by the service center after you pick up.

The best thing to do is ask a forum member in the area to drive to where the car is located and take additional pictures for you. I have done so for potential buyers on the forum. Tesla is reasonably cooperative. They opened the doors for me and let me take pictures inside and out but they wouldn't let me touch or enter the car. Nonetheless, I was able to take a large number of high quality photos for the forum member who was in another part of the country.

@Zishan I did not realize the deposit would be refunded if you showed up to get the car and did not want it. I thought the purchase was complete before you got the car. I would imagine a car delivered to you they would not refund the $2k delivery fee (though I would get my own shipping or fly to it and drive it home.

@Rockster How can you go find the cars? There are plenty in FL and I would drive to go look at one I was thinking of. I thought they were at auction houses (I posted on another thread and found the address of one near me and going to go see if I can access it).

@Rockster How can you go find the cars? There are plenty in FL and I would drive to go look at one I was thinking of. I thought they were at auction houses (I posted on another thread and found the address of one near me and going to go see if I can access it).

Have you tried calling Tesla to see which specific area the car is in? Might be sitting in a specific service center, etc. When I bought my inventory they knew which SC had my car.

I have found a couple I was interested in. Been mostly in a research and learning the options and differences mode (note my user name and you can see why I have to wait to go seek out ;) till after Monday). I will call Tesla when I find some that I want to see (if near me).

@Zishan I did not realize the deposit would be refunded if you showed up to get the car and did not want it. I thought the purchase was complete before you got the car. I would imagine a car delivered to you they would not refund the $2k delivery fee (though I would get my own shipping or fly to it and drive it home.

Well, I wouldn't say "if you don't like it, deposit would be refunded." Maybe, but I don't think they are that lax about it. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but from what I've read hear, and from what the Tesla used sales rep told me via our phone conversations. If the car is misrepresented, you can request the deposit refunded. I think they try pushing you to move the deposit to another Tesla, but can be refunded.

I'm not sure about the shipping, but I can't imagine they would refund shipping.

@Rockster How can you go find the cars? There are plenty in FL and I would drive to go look at one I was thinking of. I thought they were at auction houses (I posted on another thread and found the address of one near me and going to go see if I can access it).[/QUOTE]

In the cases where I've helped people by taking pictures they already knew that the car was located at a specific Tesla service center.

I rather find a used Tesla in my area from a local used car dealer instead of going through teslas Nightmare process. Had a lot of family/friends go the used tesla route and they all regret it. Horrible service and horrible experiences. I feel bad for the people that went that route.

I have been reading the forums and following EV-CPO and looking at other car sites, but mostly focused on cars on the Tesla Used Inventory. When I request photos, the variety of quality of the photos is quite big. Sometimes they are horrible with so many reflections you are not sure what they are showing you (I assume it is damage as its a panel or something). Other times they are decent (what is with all the road rash on the 21' wheels??? driving by feel?). However, some of the shots have that "glam" look to them which makes me suspicions. Just the car and all white around them where others you can see it is on a concrete floor with a white wall or drop.

It's a horrible business model that is doomed to fail once a large segment of non-enthusiasts discover the joy of trying to buy a CPO from Tesla. They will likely move to other choices once they are available.

I recently bought 2016 70D and was extremely pleased with condition of car.

I had same concerns and before taking delivery I talked to Sales Rep and he said, expect normal wear and tear but nothing more than that and car was in pristine condition.

Looking at how Tesla is getting rid of their old cars, you wont find better deal with other outside. Saw another car I was observing, dropped price by 4K before some one got lucky. I though did not get good deal but loved car.

Hope it helps.

You cant see car before you pay deposit as car might be in some warehouse. Though I have found from other forums that if car has dings and you dont want to buy, you can fight to transfer your reservation. In my case that was also not case as I bought Out of state vehicle and get transported

When I asked the Baltimore-Owings Mills SC why they didn't have used vehicles for sale on their premises (they were held at a satellite facility, allegedly in the Elkridge area), I was told they are not licensed as a used vehicle dealer and can't allow people to see them.

Whether that is the truth or just a way to keep the tire-kicking riffraff away, I don't know. I used to live in MD and I'm sure there is a ton of red tape involved in becoming a used car dealer.

That doesn't excuse poor pictures or strategic angles, or other typical Craigslist tactics to hide damage.

But poor condition cars can't be all blamed on Tesla. Some former owners didn't treat their Teslas well.
20K miles and has some ugly (albeit minor) damage and should probably be $10K less than it is: 2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1H45FF087245 | False, Fa | Tesla
This one is 13K miles and way too dirty for the mileage: 2015 Tesla Model S 5YJSA1E47FF107970