Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt the Tesla guys read this forum and others to feel the market out also.

What’s crazy is 2 months ago $51,200 got you a facelift white Model S with PUP, black next gen seats, pano roof, and 21” grey turbines. Now $51,400 gets you a red Model S with no PUP, standard wheels, and multi-pattern black seats.

How things have changed...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
As the OP, and having watched the official Tesla Used Model S for sale in the US drop from 1200 models in Feb. to about 100 now, I am stunned.

Been advising my father-in-law on a P85d or P90d, we've literally seen that model price RISE 20% from Dec 2018 until now. I feel terrible for my advice to him. Worse, there is no used inventory left in Red. There used to be 60 at a time.

There have been a lot of theories here, but no one really knows why this dynamic happened or what the summer holds. Certainly clear to me that Tesla, Inc. wants out of the used S market. Until evidence proves otherwise, the "Tesla Model S CPO/Used" appears to be over.

RIP Tesla MS CPO/Used Inventory (2015-2019)....was a wild ride!

Reactions: neroden
As the OP, and having watched the official Tesla Used Model S for sale in the US drop from 1200 models in Feb. to about 100 now, I am stunned.

Been advising my father-in-law on a P85d or P90d, we've literally seen that model price RISE 20% from Dec 2018 until now. I feel terrible for my advice to him. Worse, there is no used inventory left in Red. There used to be 60 at a time.

There have been a lot of theories here, but no one really knows why this dynamic happened or what the summer holds. Certainly clear to me that Tesla, Inc. wants out of the used S market. Until evidence proves otherwise, the "Tesla Model S CPO/Used" appears to be over.

RIP Tesla MS CPO/Used Inventory (2015-2019)....was a wild ride!

Sooo, if Tesla doesn’t want to earn money on pre-owned cars, who will? What will they do with all the trade-ins then? Park them in Arizona? Use them for parts? Launch them to outer space?

You’re either being sarcastic or totally out of whack.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and DanCar
Where are they parking them in Arizona, I need a bumper? I hit a Coyote yesterday morning when he ran out in front of me,, probably chasing a Road Runner :eek:

Prices on new are hard to resist. A co-worker was looking for an inventory car and is so glad he wasn't in a rush.

Where are they parking them in Arizona, I need a bumper? I hit a Coyote yesterday morning when he ran out in front of me,, probably chasing a Road Runner :eek:

Prices on new are hard to resist. A co-worker was looking for an inventory car and is so glad he wasn't in a rush.

Ever heard of Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson? The F16 graveyard. I figured Tesla could use it for Model S. Better that than selling them for $50k or les ;)

Attachments

• 8485F3B1-0992-4609-AB8A-78089227B456.jpeg
    8485F3B1-0992-4609-AB8A-78089227B456.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Funny
Reactions: Don TLR
Sooo, if Tesla doesn’t want to earn money on pre-owned cars, who will? What will they do with all the trade-ins then? Park them in Arizona? Use them for parts? Launch them to outer space?

You’re either being sarcastic or totally out of whack.
Please try not to be insulting on these or any other digital forum. My post was neither sarcasm nor silly. Perfectly reasonable possible conclusion. You can disagree, offer other ideas (as you have in other posts) but do not personally insult someone.

Reactions: DanCar
Please try not to be insulting on these or any other digital forum. My post was neither sarcasm nor silly. Perfectly reasonable possible conclusion. You can disagree, offer other ideas (as you have in other posts) but do not personally insult someone.

Which part was insulting? The fact that I called your conclusion out of whack? Because it is? It’s a shame you can’t call things their real name in this country anymore. My apologies!

Conspiracy theory, don't flame me.

Could it be that Tesla is trying to push out all the existing new inventory in preparation of new cars made after 4/23? thus holding back on used inventory.

Once those new cars are out, the existing inventory (made before 4/23/2019) will be hard to sell at the current price.

People placed orders after 4/23/2019, many of them have not received their VIN yet. That got me thinking.:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Which part was insulting? The fact that I called your conclusion out of whack? Because it is? It’s a shame you can’t call things their real name in this country anymore. My apologies!

It's not anything about "this country anymore", it is about being kind, which works anywhere, anytime.

You called me "out of whack", not my conclusions. Neither of us know what is happening to this market. So ideas are worth discussing.

If you want to apologize, give a real one, not a backhanded one.

Conspiracy theory, don't flame me.

Could it be that Tesla is trying to push out all the existing inventory for new cars made after 4/23? thus holding back on used inventory.

People placed orders after 4/23/2019, many of them have not received their VIN yet. That got me thinking.:eek::eek::eek:
You might be right. Certainly some decision was made inside Tesla vis a vis the used market and what they would support. Could be a 1 quarter strategy or two. But they are testing something....

It's not anything about "this country anymore", it is about being kind, which works anywhere, anytime.

You called me "out of whack", not my conclusions. Neither of us know what is happening to this market. So ideas are worth discussing.

If you want to apologize, give a real one, not a backhanded one.

Shrug. If you can go back and re-read your post and just check its tone, you might understand how apocalyptic it sounds and how much panic it could induce in a random reader of this thread. I don’t want people to make impulse decisions and buy an overpriced S just cause someone wrote “RIP to used Teslas” in a panic tone. Let’s finish this argument here :).

Shrug. If you can go back and re-read your post and just check its tone, you might understand how apocalyptic it sounds and how much panic it could induce in a random reader of this thread. I don’t want people to make impulse decisions and buy an overpriced S just cause someone wrote “RIP to used Teslas” in a panic tone. Let’s finish this argument here :).

I understand. I'm not panicked about it at all. Just stating a possible conclusion based on the information we all have. How people react is up to them....as long as the poster and responder are kind and respectful and not personal.