Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been eyeing 2017+ MX and it seems that things are drying up. Not sure on what the reason was but honestly, the prices were not very enticing taking into account the price drop and move to a single battery

My experience is, the new quarter starts. Prices so far comes down end of month to push them out before quarter close. I got mines 3/18 and got the vehicle in 8 days. Started monitoring when price was 53.5 mid Feb. Got it for 47.7. Car fax shows returned 1/9/2019, so it was probably priced even higher before I noticed it. If I waited 1 more week, I think I could’ve squeezed another $1500, but there were only 2 in that price range... so I pulled the trigger.

Communication was horrible, but the car came in very good condition. Service took care of the non disclosed items and even took care of a disclosed nick as a courtesy. analyze the pictures very carefully.

Unless the price is really good, the warranty is suggested. I’ve had a loaner car longer than the car ownership. Lol. They are now replacing the camera for the autopilot. Really curious how much that would’ve costed; will update post on the estimated cost if I didn’t have the warranty. Only 30k miles...

I have been watching the Model S on EV-CPO and the used on Tesla site and EV-CPO there has been a steady decrease of available used Model S for the past 3 or 4 weeks. On the Tesla main site, there are quite a number of 2014-2016, but rarely any face lifted.

I have been watching the Model S on EV-CPO and the used on Tesla site and EV-CPO there has been a steady decrease of available used Model S for the past 3 or 4 weeks. On the Tesla main site, there are quite a number of 2014-2016, but rarely any face lifted.

Production of the Facelifted S started in April '16, meaning 36mo leases should start flooding in over the next couple of months. My suspicion (and hope!) is they have been clearing inventory and started sending nosecone vehicles straight to auction since they'll soon have a glut of more desirable stock.

Face lifts should be coming in after June 2019, Unless they are turning in their lease early... You can probably Google the 3rd quarter 2016 model S sales and you can guesstimate how many are going to flood the market.
  • 76,230+ vehicles (Model X + Model S) delivered in 2016.

Unless the price is really good, the warranty is suggested. I’ve had a loaner car longer than the car ownership. Lol. They are now replacing the camera for the autopilot. Really curious how much that would’ve costed; will update post on the estimated cost if I didn’t have the warranty. Only 30k miles...

yikes. any other types of repairs other than camera? all in warranty?

yikes. any other types of repairs other than camera? all in warranty?
Yeap, I bought it used from Tesla a few weeks ago. After having to deal with warranty issues at we 30k miles, I'd suggest getting one through Tesla used for the 4 year warranty coverage.
I've owned the loaner car longer than my actual car. Lol

I almost went with a private 2015 p85d 28k out of warranty. Glad I didn't...

i just picked up a used "cpo" 2015 model s yesterday from the service center in Portland, OR (shipped from FL). i couldn't be happier with the car, the price and the whole process. it took a leap of faith but it was very worth it.

Is that across the nation, Florida area, East Coast area?
I searched nationwide and that was 37 Teslas owned by Tesla, Tesla also had some other brand cars going, likely trade-in’s. Other than that 37 there were another 23 by random other sellers. Manheim is the worlds largest auto auction and there are 88,991 cars listed right now up for auction in the US in the next week or so, only 60 are Tesla cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: erik_k
@IGdawgI Why do you think we have to wait till June for the facelifted lease returns? Any time I had a lease they were contacting me 6 months prior to lease end to move me to a new car (Tesla sales people might not do that) and many times the leases are returned a little before the end so they are not scrambling to find the replacement vehicle. I thought facelifted started in May, but if it was April, then we should start seeing them sooner than June. Just my thoughts and not sure if accurate.

@Sunshine State are those cars you see going through Manheim from Tesla unloading used cars to other dealers (ie for some reason they did not want to sell them through their used car program)?
Possibly, I have seen Tesla auctioning Teslas with repaired structural damage but others with no damage so I’m not sure what is their criteria for auctioning cars. I’ve also seen CPO cars that are beat up with body damage. Their are also 9 2018 Enterprise rental S’s scheduled to run and that is not uncommon. Of those nine rentals a few are drivable and undriveable total losses, all S75D’s with multipattern fabric seats. The ones with normal wear and tear will bring a good price, not much different from what you can buy a used private sale car for.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden