Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered one from San Francisco to Florida, there is so much more selection and lower prices out west. While the $2K is annoying, it is not terrible as the car is delivered to Florida and no issues with picking it up in CA and taxes\tags, trying to get a flight to match delivery day etc.

Not sure what you are saying about proof? That car was one of 3 Tesla’s sold at a monthly Dealer High-line auction on March 20th. It is not a secret that Tesla runs a few cars through auction every so often that they can’t sell for retail. That car sold quite cheap for a 90D ($42,600 likely based on condition) and that dealer has an extremely low markup because they sell cars without doing any reconditioning and with no haggle pricing. The other 2 Teslas that sold that day were also nosecone 90D’s but were early 16’s and they brought $47,800 and $54,600. I would imagine the other retail dealers have much more markup on the other two cars. I don’t know if Tesla was the seller of the other two cars. Tesla’s are typically run through on the monthly Highline sale day and not often sold on regular weekly sale days. This months Highline sale was on the 11th and there were a total of 4 Tesla’s sold that day, three 2013’s and a ‘16. There were a total of 1800 cars run that day and of those only the 4 Teslas, not exactly a fire sale flood of Tesla’s and no 2015’s. I have a screenshot of the sale data for the car you mentioned but it may be considered confidential dealer sales data so I don’t think it can be posted. I don’t see any proof of a conspiracy to liquidate 2015’s just normal market adjustments in sale prices.

Do you have access to the data nationwide?
This particular one I screenshot was located in Florida. 1 of 1 in Florida listed on Tesla website; it never sold but disappeared. Over $10k difference from Tesla. Wow!

Majority of the listed vehicles I found (not searched) on Tesla site were in the west coast. Several in LA, San Diego, and Las Vegas. Those all disappeared recently. Very curious if they bulked it to the dealers to make room for the 2016's. Access to that data? Thanks,

Do you have access to the data nationwide?
This particular one I screenshot was located in Florida. 1 of 1 in Florida listed on Tesla website; it never sold but disappeared. Over $10k difference from Tesla. Wow!

Majority of the listed vehicles I found (not searched) on Tesla site were in the west coast. Several in LA, San Diego, and Las Vegas. Those all disappeared recently. Very curious if they bulked it to the dealers to make room for the 2016's. Access to that data? Thanks,
I just searched for the car you were talking about. I can search any auction in the US and Manheim is the worlds largest auction network. I certainly don’t see any bulk sales, in fact just the opposite, just random sales at auction. I have never seen more than around a half dozen Teslas at any one auction, for instance compared to hundreds of BMW’s in a single sale.

Last edited:
I just searched for the car you were talking about. I can search any auction in the US and Manheim is the worlds largest auction network. I certainly don’t see any bulk sales, in fact just the opposite, just random sales at auction. I have never seen more than around a half dozen Teslas at any one auction, for instance compared to hundreds of BMW’s in a single sale.
Good to know.
What are your thoughts? People actually bought from Tesla? Or it's being used as loaners?

Good to know.
What are your thoughts? People actually bought from Tesla? Or it's being used as loaners?
I don’t know but I’m not seeing any large number at auction. That one car you found definitely sold at auction for a substantial discount but there are really only a relative handful going through auction and not any spike over past levels. I had commented on how I though many went into the loaner fleet because my son got one as a loaner, plus a Tesla service employee told me they have recently added many loaner cars because they have been trying to avoid rentals. I didn’t ask them where the extra loaner cars came from but it would make better sense than renting from outside sources.

Last edited:
Here is the data (From ev-cpo)....This is the NUMBER SOLD per MONTH for a single color Performance model...
....this is a simple way to show the trend....
Notice the massive monthly sales increase since November 2018 and this month, April, blowing up.....WOW!
upload_2019-4-15_23-20-39.png

Here is the data (From ev-cpo)....This is the NUMBER SOLD per MONTH for a single color Performance model...
....this is a simple way to show the trend....
Notice the massive monthly sales increase since November 2018 and this month, April, blowing up.....WOW!
View attachment 397301
Why specify a specific color and specify Performance.
That kind of cherry picking of data is often used to mislead.
“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics”

Well it’s all dropping, over time at least. I have a budget of $40K or so and a few months ago the 70Ds started just above that, with the lowest at about $42K. Now those start around $37,400 and the cheapest 85D is now $40,500 in the configuration I’ve been searching (AP, PUP, Nextgen). So basically they’ve all dropped by about $5K from when I started looking a few months ago. The crazy thing is looking at cars on CL or elsewhere dealerships ask the same prices but with Tesla (if you want to go through their purchase system) you can get a factory 4Y/50K warranty! So maybe dealerships will drop a couple or few thousand when you’re negotiating with them but at asking price it’s hard to beat the Tesla Used prices.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Well it’s all dropping, over time at least. I have a budget of $40K or so and a few months ago the 70Ds started just above that, with the lowest at about $42K. Now those start around $37,400 and the cheapest 85D is now $40,500 in the configuration I’ve been searching (AP, PUP, Nextgen). So basically they’ve all dropped by about $5K from when I started looking a few months ago. The crazy thing is looking at cars on CL or elsewhere dealerships ask the same prices but with Tesla (if you want to go through their purchase system) you can get a factory 4Y/50K warranty! So maybe dealerships will drop a couple or few thousand when you’re negotiating with them but at asking price it’s hard to beat the Tesla Used prices.

I used to look at private party sales quite a bit but have backed off a bit now. When you factor in that Tesla warranty which is over $4K, most private sales are overpriced. It seems private sellers for the most part think their car is worth more than it is. It could be because they're in loans and don't want to be in the negative upon sale. I'm staying away from dealers for the simple fact that I cannot buy a warranty, and going with such a techie car, I need that piece of mind.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Denila