Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the exact same boat as you. A brand new white 2019 100D MX Raven 7 seater is $86k. So factoring in industry standard deprecation rate of about 15-20% first year and 10-15% per year after, the 2017 100Ds should be in the mid 60s. But then I go to the TMC used listings and the 2017 MX 100Ds are listed for 80-90k. It is common place here to see cars listed for more than a brand new model, even ones that were "lightly T-boned".

Mmmmmm.. T-bone.

Tesla seems to have this method of lowering used prices for unsold vehicles by about $500-700 per day until it is sold when it wants to move a car. Curiously, this process doesn't seem to be affected by massive price cuts to the new vehicles. They don't drop prices for used cars in any different way - they just keep lowering it slightly every day like they normally would.

Right now I am seeing a 2017 P100DL with 21,500 miles on it for $99,000. The only option on it is the color ($1,000) and the wheels ($4,500). A Raven P100DL with the rebate and the destination fee with the exact same options PLUS a 10% better range and much improved suspension & newer AP tech would cost only $6,000 more. Did I mention one is a 2017 model with 21,500 miles and the other is NEW and custom built for you?

This dealership is selling a 2018 Model X for $93k. I offered them 75k (20% depreciation for 1 year), they replied and said "Than you for your offer but we are not in a position to sell it that low. If you are willing to get closer to our asking price, we can do something. Below is a link to a carfax of the vehicle."

So I replied and said "If you are willing to lower the asking price of your used 2018 Model X to less than Tesla currently sells a brand new and improved 2019 model, we can do something. Below is a link to Tesla.com showing a brand new 2019 Model X (red/black/6 seater) for less than you're asking."

This is probably the 10th listing Ive seen on ebay of a Model X listed for more than a brand new showroom model. Sellers are oblivious and refuse to use a little bit of common sense when pricing these cars.

This dealership is selling a 2018 Model X for $93k. I offered them 75k (20% depreciation for 1 year), they replied and said "Than you for your offer but we are not in a position to sell it that low. If you are willing to get closer to our asking price, we can do something. Below is a link to a carfax of the vehicle."

So I replied and said "If you are willing to lower the asking price of your used 2018 Model X to less than Tesla currently sells a brand new and improved 2019 model, we can do something. Below is a link to Tesla.com showing a brand new 2019 Model X (red/black/6 seater) for less than you're asking."

This is probably the 10th listing Ive seen on ebay of a Model X listed for more than a brand new showroom model. Sellers are oblivious and refuse to use a little bit of common sense when pricing these cars.

I emailed a dealer that was selling a P100D for $106k and told him that exact car could be bought for $104.5k new. His response was "you and me both know you can't get that car new for $104.5k." Infuriating.

Also in the market for a Tesla Model X 100D/long Range. I had reached out to a few of the Tesla Sales locations and all of them said wait tell September for discounts. That is when Tesla will adjustments to hit their Sales guidance. By then, you should also expect the used market prices to be reset. I don't think Dealers are aware of the new pricing or at least have not seen the impact. It's the waiting, just need to have patience.

Think the free Supercharging perk will be used as a tactic for short term sales for both used and nre vehicles? I swear. Free SC should be available 150 miles away from registered vehicle Address. That'll free up the clog and be used for its intended purpose...
I personally place zero value on free supercharging. I will just charge mine at my house and would only use superchargers on road trips (1-2 times a year). I would not pay more than $500 for free supercharging.

Reactions: JHawk and Iceh8r
I personally place zero value on free supercharging. I will just charge mine at my house and would only use superchargers on road trips (1-2 times a year). I would not pay more than $500 for free supercharging.

Agree.. i frequent S. cali about 3+ times/year. So the Free SC is a great perk when traveling. Other than that, a few bucks a home for home charging is a price I'll pay to not waste my time to sit and wait.

Reactions: JHawk