Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla users: study opportunity

What do you miss the most in your Tesla when you are traveling?

• Electric charging

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Autosteer

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Acceleration

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Massive touchscreen

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am a Tesla enthusiast who has a Model 3 reservation. I would like to poll the community and ask a few questions of current Tesla owners on their use of the vehicle as well as travel preferences. Please PM me. Additionally, you are welcome to provide any thoughts on what would make for a better experience for current and future Tesla owners once more Model 3 vehicles hit the road. Cheers!

Is this a trick question?

I've been traveling with my Tesla and they are all there for me to miss any thing!

All the trips you have taken since you purchased your Tesla have been using the Tesla? The study is to understand what happens when say you live on the west coast and you have to make a week long trip to Florida. Would you still drive all the way? Or would you fly there and realize there are no options for renting a Tesla there? This study is attempting to assess if there is a market for those type of trips

All the trips you have taken since you purchased your Tesla have been using the Tesla?...

My travel radius has been about 600 miles from San Diego to Sacramento, CA and from San Francisco, CA to Las Vegas, NV so I have not used any air, train or bus since I got my Model S in 2012.

But thanks for the answer, I now do understand the poll question which does not mean to trick me :)

It could be rephrased:

"Now that you own a Tesla, but if you need to use a non-Tesla for public transport, what would you miss most?"

If it is a non-Tesla car, such as a rental car, I would miss its intuitiveness: Just walk toward it and it greets you by extending its door handles. There's no need to remember to turn on or turn off the car. There's no need to remember to unlock or lock. There's no need to remember to turn on/off cabin lights/headlights...

If it's air transport, I would miss my independence: Here we go again: Home Land Security is going to have a field day touching me all over. If not, they insist on bombarding me with invisible rays that they say it's completely harmless! I would rather to drive my Tesla 3,000 miles across the county than got molested physically/environmentally in an airport!

Hello, I am a Tesla enthusiast who has a Model 3 reservation. I would like to poll the community and ask a few questions of current Tesla owners on their use of the vehicle as well as travel preferences. Please PM me. Additionally, you are welcome to provide any thoughts on what would make for a better experience for current and future Tesla owners once more Model 3 vehicles hit the road. Cheers!
If I may say, this is a very poorly worded survey. The question is unclear. Do you mean to ask what people miss when they are traveling and renting an ICE vehicle? In that case, Electric charging makes no sense. Perhaps you mean an electric drivetrain? If you mean when I’m traveling with my Tesla, then I wouldn’t miss the touchscreen, autopilot, or acceleration.

The question would then be clearer if it were just about what makes a Tesla a more attractive vehicle than other options. The way it’s worded now doesn’t make much sense to me.

My travel radius has been about 600 miles from San Diego to Sacramento, CA and from San Francisco, CA to Las Vegas, NV so I have not used any air, train or bus since I got my Model S in 2012.

But thanks for the answer, I now do understand the poll question which does not mean to trick me :)

It could be rephrased:

"Now that you own a Tesla, but if you need to use a non-Tesla for public transport, what would you miss most?"

If it is a non-Tesla car, such as a rental car, I would miss its intuitiveness: Just walk toward it and it greets you by extending its door handles. There's no need to remember to turn on or turn off the car. There's no need to remember to unlock or lock. There's no need to remember to turn on/off cabin lights/headlights...

If it's air transport, I would miss my independence: Here we go again: Home Land Security is going to have a field day touching me all over. If not, they insist on bombarding me with invisible rays that they say it's completely harmless! I would rather to drive my Tesla 3,000 miles across the county than got molested physically/environmentally in an airport!

Even though I get airsick without drugs, when I take Dramamine I used to like flying, but while airport security was never pleasant, it was tolerable before 9/11. Now the ordeal of getting to your flight is pretty bad. Being somewhat strategically minded, I stand in the lines and think about ways I would defeat the security measures if I was a terrorist. It would be laughably easy to do (though I won't talk publicly about it, I don't want the FBI knocking on my door if somebody goes and does something I thought of, though I doubt any would be terrorists are reading this I don't want to give them ideas either).

There are times we end up in a non-Tesla when we're not traveling. The last time I took my car to the local service center they gave me an Infiniti loaner. Nicer than the beat up Nissan they gave me at some point last year, but it was not fun to drive at all. I also had to drive a friend's pickup home a couple of months back. I thought it was just me, but the guy who drove it the next day (who drove a semi in San Francisco at one point in his life and drives pickups often) said it was the worst driving pickup he had ever driven.

The bad truck aside, you get used to the drive feel of a Tesla and it throws off your instincts when you have to drive something else. I haven't driven another electric, that would probably be similar, but in general I hate that first 15 minutes in an unfamiliar vehicle when you are fumbling around trying to find the controls. On the Infiniti I kept turning on the windshield wipers when I went to change from reverse into drive.

The OP said he was they were investigating something to do with being able to rent Teslas when you travel, but that's already covered in a lot of markets between a few rental chains offering them and Turo. On Turo there are something like 6 Teslas available in the Portland area right now. The convenience of being able to pick up and drop off a car at the airport will probably continue to keep the big rental car companies in business, but I suspect companies like Turo are going to lock up the specialty car and non-flying use rental car market in the coming years.