Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla uses 1/6 the energy compared to gasoline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one has taken into account the source of the electricity either -- some places use more fossil fuels to produce it than others. Does your electricity come from coal, hydro, nuclear, or something else? Generally EV's are more efficient at using power, but that power still comes from somewhere.
Actually, that has been addressed in many posts here. And it depends on the region where you are and mostly drive and charge. But still, on balanced, better then continuing with fossil fuels other than for transition.

Reactions: CyberGus
I think the best comparison of emissions between ICE and BEV comes from the Union of Concerned Scientists. They look how clean the grid is in different parts of the country and compare the resulting emissions between ICE and BEV in those areas. Where the grid is dirty, an ICE might only need to get 40 mpg to be as clean a BEV. Where the grid is the cleanest, an ICE might need to get 230 mpg to be as clean as an EV. Here's a chart from 2018:
View attachment 798811
The grid is considerably cleaner now than it was in 2018, so BEVs compare even better now
I live in Wisconsin (not the worst part, but I still charge in there area on occasion) - that’s depressing. I wonder if there is an updated chart somewhere,

I agree somewhat. But the OP started out defending his stance on EV. If he claims 6x more efficient he will be labeled FUD.

EV is more efficient and cleaner burning. But not by as much as we’d like.

I run Solar. But I cheat with a Fossil Battery ( the grid).

BTW here is sone food for thought.

Emissions-by-sector-%E2%80%93-pie-charts.png

6x more efficient (at the car) is pretty accurate. Tesla's run around with a battery that has the energy content of about 2-3 gallons of gas.

Yes, there are losses to bring the electricity to the car... there are also transport costs to get gas to a fuel station.

Not sure where the FUD angle is in all this. I would think everyone could agree that electric cars are a lot more efficient, and that the "clean-ness" of electricity varies wildly depending on where and how you get it, but can be very clean if coming from wind/solar which are very much on the rise.

Teslas run around with a battery that has the energy content of about 2-3 gallons of gas.

This is reasonably correct but ultimately a fool's statistic since the former is electricity and the latter is petrol. If the electricity is clean sourced then the efficiency per se is not much of a concern outside of cost; and if the electricity is fossil sourced then conversion efficiencies are a lot closer to ICE vehicles.

So if we are comparing ICE vehicles to electricity generated from fossil fuels, the efficiency is much less? I guess it would depend on the generation mix for different grids and see how much is generated from cleaner sources such as nuclear, solar, hydro, wind, and geothermal. Realistically, if you have solar installed at home generating for the house and the vehicle, you’re essentially getting free electricity from the sun but the cost and pollution generated from the production of solar panels would still need to be factored into the overall equation. It would seem to me that using an EV is much cleaner for the overall environment and more efficient as long as enough people use EVs instead of ICE.

6x more efficient (at the car) is pretty accurate. Tesla's run around with a battery that has the energy content of about 2-3 gallons of gas.

Yes, there are losses to bring the electricity to the car... there are also transport costs to get gas to a fuel station.

Not sure where the FUD angle is in all this. I would think everyone could agree that electric cars are a lot more efficient, and that the "clean-ness" of electricity varies wildly depending on where and how you get it, but can be very clean if coming from wind/solar which are very much on the rise.
Transportation losses are already factored into the price of gasoline (at the pump) and electricity (at the meter).
If you super charge, do pay what Tesla delivers to your car or what the car pulls out of the battery?

Measure energy at the consumer point of sale.

OP wants to defend EV arguments.

If you defend with bogus numbers, when friends of ICE owners with EV's say they only save 1/2 or 1/3 his whole argument goes out the window.

In practice, my Model S is getting about 60 mpg equivalent (which is VERY good for its size and performance). OP is claiming 180 mpg.

Here is really simple math.

I get about 250 wh/mi on my Model S. 1 kWh is $0.32 (delivered in New England)
0.250 kWh/mi * $0.32 / kWh = $0.08 / mile

Now take a 30 mpg vehicle at $6.00 / gallon that's not hard to obtain today.

$6/30 = $0.20 / mile

Where is the 6x ? It's not even close to that. And I didn't even factor in the REAL cost of electricity.
I'm really consuming probably around 350 wh/mi on my Model S. That includes charging losses and all HVAC when not moving, battery heating etc.

0.350 kWh/mi * $0.32 / kWh = $0.11 / mile

And that's with it at $6 / gallon, what was it when the price of gas was $3 / gallon?

People don't care about the theory. They care about their wallet.

It will vary a lot by location, but I doubt it's close to 6x any where.

Here is really simple math.

$6/30 = $0.20 / mile

Where is the 6x ? It's not even close to that. And I didn't even factor in the REAL cost of electricity.
yeah...32 cents is not close to the national average (14.5 cents), which at 4 miles/KWh would mean 3.6 cents per mile, or 1/5.5th.

Going more towards real numbers, I average 310 wh/mile on my YP, and my CA rooftop solar has an estimated cost of 11 cents per KWh over first 20 years, so down to 3.44 c/mile or 1/5.8th of the 20 cents per mile.

$6 is high, but so is 30 mpg - bit above average, esp for something with more spirited acceleration.

Reactions: CyberGus and DrGriz

A model S ICE equivalent at 30 mpg overall ?
Hmm. Possible with a hybrid

People don't care about the theory. They care about their wallet.
That is a different discussion from efficiency, and from the start the results are goofy because the costs of pollution are externalized to general taxation. Just because people are blind to the costs they pay for pollution does not make it go away.

Actually, that has been addressed in many posts here. And it depends on the region where you are and mostly drive and charge. But still, on balanced, better then continuing with fossil fuels other than for transition.

Building on this, if we're gonna play the "what were all the costs and energy that went into your electricity" then it would be only fair to add up not only the gasoline in your tank, but the energy to discover it, pump it out of the ground, refine it, store it, transport it etc. I think that roughly doubles the energy-cost of gas.

Building on this, if we're gonna play the "what were all the costs and energy that went into your electricity" then it would be only fair to add up not only the gasoline in your tank, but the energy to discover it, pump it out of the ground, refine it, store it, transport it etc. I think that roughly doubles the energy-cost of gas.

Then add on the social cost of the pollution, and the global military costs related to a scarce resource war.
The total costs are obscene.

Then add on the social cost of the pollution, and the global military costs related to a scarce resource war.
The total costs are obscene.

I've seen reasonable-looking estimates that it costs something silly like 3 gallons of gas to make a gallon of gas, which can't be true but yeah half of all shipping is the supply chain of creating fuels.

We're running about half wind/solar/hydro here in California, the rest being a mix of nuclear and natural gas. We're building the solar and wind at a pretty good pace to have it be the majority in a decade - at that point the numbers are really strong in favor of electric for cars.

Reactions: DrGriz and CyberGus
Yes, ZenRockGarden