Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla V10 bug: Dog Mode disabled after Smart Summon completed

Should dog mode being disabled after a summon be fixed?

• Yes

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again Simple fix
Disable summon if dog mode is enabled.

It is unsafe for any vehicle to be operated if occupants or contents are not properly
Secured While that vehicle is in motion

So if your precious is injured are you going to blame Tesla for your stupidity?

if regulators or courts get to weigh in you can kiss your feature goodbye

Whilst i agree that the op was careless, this does not mean there is not an issue. 'Used as intended' cannot be wielded to stop your feelings being hurt. There are many features, called safety, that prevent stupid things being done but we still expect them to err on side of safety. Eg. You cannot drive while charging, that's because the it would be a stupid thing to do but you can bet it would happen all the time.

Dog mode should remain enabled until manually disabled.

Humans will always do stupid stuff, it's in our nature.
Safety in this case would be the dog owner taking responsibility to know how the feature works when leaving their dog in a dangerous situation, and always verifying that temperatures are safe.

Enabling the accelerator during summon would be a much bigger bug than cancelling dog mode.
Replace "accelerator" with "steering wheel" and you have the same potential problem (ie, what if the dog puts their leg or head through the wheel and it starts spinning?). I'd say disabling summon when dog mode is active is the only foolproof solution.

Reactions: notrhj
Tricky topic. Tesla does advertise that summon can be used to park your car into tight spots, so in that situation, dog mode should remain on as the car was going into the user's desired park mode.

On the other hand, summon does constitute as the car moving, which is a valid mode for disabling dog mode. Though that is more of a stretch as one should focus on the end user's need rather than a mechanical state. This is software, after all, and it should be smart enough to know about the end user's needs.

I would vote for dog mode to disable when the driver returns and put the seatbelt on, not if the car moves from summon.

Reactions: UKNOWINVU2
Tricky topic. Tesla does advertise that summon can be used to park your car into tight spots, so in that situation, dog mode should remain on as the car was going into the user's desired park mode.

On the other hand, summon does constitute as the car moving, which is a valid mode for disabling dog mode. Though that is more of a stretch as one should focus on the end user's need rather than a mechanical state. This is software, after all, and it should be smart enough to know about the end user's needs.

I would vote for dog mode to disable when the driver returns and put the seatbelt on, not if the car moves from summon.

Very good points Lanzer!

If only I put a question mark after bug.

Oh wait...

Did you?

upload_2019-10-15_7-19-3.png

Reactions: MentalNomad