Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla V10 software update rollout: post here if you are still waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like a great way for some not so nice people to take advantage of the unsuspecting. Set up a WiFi node near a Supercharger and name it “Tesla Supercharger” or something and just wait for folks to connect their phones and cars to it.

I don't think it's going to happen like that.

Instead I think they'll implement a very secure system where the car automatically connects to it, but the owner has no idea what the access credentials are.

I personally think it's a great idea as it helps alleviate an issue that apartment dwellers have. In that they don't have wifi to download map updates.

Are people really complaining about the leaked release notes from an incomplete beta software?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again ... the worst part about owning a Tesla is the community around it.

To me the worst thing is the tendency for people to be extreme one way or another when it comes to Tesla.

It's hard to have a good discussion when one side is worshipping Elon/Telsa, and the other side is making a mountain out of a mole hill for every single tiny thing.

I really want a Rivian just to escape the madness.

So I have an EV SUV that simply does what it does without much drama.

As to complaining I think people inherently enjoy complaining, and don't put a lot of thought into why things are the way they are.

Instead of complain about the games/entertainment they should be asking why? Why does Elon/Tesla invest in those things when they could be investing in features like alternative routes.

I don't like the investment/attention given to games/entertainment because it was clear to me that those were marketing things. Tesla doesn't have traditional marketing, but they really do spend money/time on marketing and it shows in games like cuphead which are largely contracted/licensed out. The whole Netflix is another things that was low hanging fruit.

At the end of the day Tesla really isn't spending nearly as much time/effort or money on these entertainment features, and they are incredibly effective marketing tools. Lots of media outlets will cover the updates, and lots of parents are thrilled with the entertainment stuff. Parents are a large part of the demographics among Tesla owners.

Looks like it should be more v9.1 that v10.

Wooooo Netflix and more video games!
Throw distractions at people instead of addressing the actual deficiencies in usability, or adding the features that’ll improve the everyday experience.

Elon Musk Says Tesla's Full Self-Driving Capability is 3-6 Months Away | Inverse
The date on this article was Jan 24, 2017. How much patience do you want me to have ?

What, yo'all thought FSD stood for something more than a video game?
:D

Seriously though, complaining about sh*t is the foundational principal of all free internet forums.
Thus, complaining about people complaining, it meta-beautiful.

Personally, I would dearly love to see an increase in substance/fluff ration in Tesla updates.
But delivering substance (AP error rate reduction, FSD feature progress, etc) is harder than shoveling fluff, so we get what we get.

Elon is not writing the code, he hired people to do it. If I had a dollar for every time a software developer I hired missed a delivery date, I'd be able to be on the board at Tesla. He's since been better about not trusting dev timelines as they are never correct. But feature sets for a specific build reliable. If he misses this year for FSD (which he will), it's not going to be a big deal to most since Tesla is always adding new features to the car. As long as we steadily progress towards the finish line then were good. (well most of us will be) Elon himself has stated numerous times that he has been overly optimistic with timelines. Something is is not sorry about nor should he be. Optimism is required to innovate at the scale that Elon's companies are. As of yet, he's missed deadlines, but never failed to make good of a promise.

Even if it took him until 2021 to complete level 5 autonomy (which it wont) he'd still be many years ahead of the rest of the car manufacturers.

It's a valid criticism. Tesla is clearly more interested in adding new "features" rather than refining existing ones that desperately need attention. Sure, this let's you show off the new fancy features on twitter and it sounds good to a non-owner, but as others have said we all know there are improvements that are needed for existing features (specifically AP)
The fact that said refining has been continuously ongoing, also, suggests such criticism isn’t actually valid at all. Rather it probably is rooted in misinterpretation that stems from one of them being more visible on twitter (for reason you give, and in the patch notes also) ... and from childish narcissism.

Reactions: ibGeek
@ecarfan, thanks for that, at a minimum.

Whatever the motive, be it short trading $TSLA, or slamming Tesla as a service for competitors, or just deep personal problems, this barrage of anti TESLA/Musk slander is getting old.

There's enough of that in the regular press. Why should people who come to "Tesla Motors Club" looking for useful information, run instead into chains of baseless TESLA IS LYING, MUSK IS LYING rants?

@ecarfan, thanks for that, at a minimum.

Whatever the motive, be it short trading $TSLA, or slamming Tesla as a service for competitors, or just deep personal problems, this barrage of anti TESLA/Musk slander is getting old.

There's enough of that in the regular press. Why should people who come to "Tesla Motors Club" looking for useful information, run instead into chains of baseless TESLA IS LYING, MUSK IS LYING rants?

+100

Reactions: diplomat33
I know people are upset that this appears on the outside to be a bunch of entertainment-only upgrades because they can't see the small incremental driving advancements under the hood, but don't discount it completely.

Last night I was watching live football. Full screen in my car. With sound better than my living room. That's pretty freaking awesome.

These are features that impress people and sell cars.

Elon is not writing the code, he hired people to do it. If I had a dollar for every time a software developer I hired missed a delivery date, I'd be able to be on the board at Tesla. .... Optimism is required to innovate at the scale that Elon's companies are. As of yet, he's missed deadlines, but never failed to make good of a promise.
I dont see how this is insightful or adequately resolves the constant broken promises. We know he doesn't code. But we know he is chief executive and ultimately responsible for those who do. Just as you are responsible for motivation, objectives, resourcing, and scheduling of your team. Optimism is good. Veracity is better.

• Disagree
Reactions: ibGeek and 82bert
I know people are upset that this appears on the outside to be a bunch of entertainment-only upgrades because they can't see the small incremental driving advancements under the hood, but don't discount it completely.

Last night I was watching live football. Full screen in my car. With sound better than my living room. That's pretty freaking awesome.

These are features that impress people and sell cars.

That's exactly what I am trying to tell people.

The fact that the driver visualizations can now distinguish between double lines and dashed lines as well as incoming traffic and pick up trucks, hints at several under the hood NN improvements.

And the other features like theater mode, hungry mode, joe mode, even karaoke, will have value for some owners. And, if they make the cars more enjoyable for some people, and yes maybe help sale more cars, that's a big positive. It's all about creating a better overall experience for the most people. I might not care about the features that much, but other people might love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.