Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla V10 software update rollout: post here if you are still waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people are upset that this appears on the outside to be a bunch of entertainment-only upgrades because they can't see the small incremental driving advancements under the hood, but don't discount it completely.

Last night I was watching live football. Full screen in my car. With sound better than my living room. That's pretty freaking awesome.

These are features that impress people and sell cars.
I was surprised how good the picture and sound was. Maybe not super practical, but definitely cool.

There's also more going on with the visualization when driving. It now shows a double yellow line and oncoming traffic on local roads.. Not sure what it's doing with this info, but interesting to see.

I don't think it's going to happen like that.

Instead I think they'll implement a very secure system where the car automatically connects to it, but the owner has no idea what the access credentials are.

I personally think it's a great idea as it helps alleviate an issue that apartment dwellers have. In that they don't have wifi to download map updates.
It stands to save Tesla all kinda of cellular bandwidth, and probably even their own server bandwidth by caching patch packages at those SC. The patch as a local file transfer over WiFi would be really quick.

I know they don’t (or at least didn’t yet late last year) cache patches at Service Centers but moving to patching via Superchargers that seems like a great opportunity to help keep up to scale as the fleet grows.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
When commenting on what is and is not in v10, remember you are going off an "Early Access" build. This is not v10. It is a set of v10 features they are testing with Early Access people. The actual release may contain different/more/less features. We won't know until it actually hits general release.

As much as I like seeing what is coming, I wish Tesla would crack down on these NDA violators. These post always get picked up as actual releases and reported on like everyone has them.

Good point, I hope my car is never feature complete. I hope that it's ALWAYS improving.
“Feature complete” is a software term of art about the state of a project that does NOT hinge on all the features working, or even ‘shipping’ to your testers for that matter.

For building a house it’s roughly analogous to “the house is framed”. You probably aren’t going to move into the house, although it’d provide some semblance of shelter, and has a whole lot of work left before the construction gets to “house is built” stage (and the renovations and additions could start).

Musk may truly be excited by this, and it is a very real (though loosely defined) and important step, but it isn’t a term I’d expect understood by the general public and thus can easily create a misunderstanding and false impression.

Yeah, we'll see how it shakes out I suppose. Interior space doesn't really bother me one way or another. I'm not a taxi and I'll kill myself before I have kids, so I'm only concerned with the front seats.

Truth be told I think Audi is probably going to be the brand that brings out the eventual product that makes me go "FINALLY", and jump ship.

Jumping shjp is the best thing you I could do. I’m surprised you haven't done it yet.

Last edited:
Are we sure though?

100% sure. This is an Early Access build. They have never been the same as a release build. Many of the new features may make it into the next release but it definitely won't be identical to the Early Access. There also could be things not in this build that will be in the next general build. I've seen that too with previous Early Access builds.

This sounds like a great way for some not so nice people to take advantage of the unsuspecting. Set up a WiFi node near a Supercharger and name it “Tesla Supercharger” or something and just wait for folks to connect their phones and cars to it.
Yes, that is a risk, but it would be possible for Tesla to prevent this. Wifi can be configured to enforce mutual authentication between the client and the AP via WPA using certificates, so the car wouldn't connect to a rogue AP.

Here's a video that shows (among other things) the Youtube app in action. Looks pretty good to me. I think that and Netflix on the big screen would be a great way to pass the time during long charging sessions. Even if Wifi isn't immediately available, it should be possible to use a mobile hotspot through your phone.

Here's a video that shows (among other things) the Youtube app in action. Looks pretty good to me. I think that and Netflix would be a great way to pass the time during long charging sessions. Even if Wifi isn't immediately available, it should be possible to use a mobile hotspot through your phone.

I like how smooth the Youtube and Netflix app appear to be in the car. I could see watching a video or a movie in your car, especially with the premium sound, to be a great experience. So, I don't think we should underestimate the appeal of Theater Mode. Being able to watch your favorite show or movie on a 15 inch screen with premium sound while you supercharge or finding a nice secluded area at sunset and watching a romantic movie on the 15 inch screen with premium sound with your special someone, could be a real value added.

• Funny
Reactions: ibGeek and bedoig
Status
Not open for further replies.