Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Valet service goes POOF!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
imagine that, a business that expects to make money and even mo money.

It's one thing to make money ethically, which is what Tesla most certainly had been doing until recently.

It's another thing entirely to entice people to purchase expensive cars with promises of service, and then when that service proves to be more costly than anticipated, or for some other reason, simply choose not to provide that service. That, in my opinion, is unethical.

It sounds like you are suggesting that "Ethics be damned", as long as there is money to be made. I doubt many here want to see Tesla take that approach to their business.

it's pretty clear that Tesla has the number crunchers in charge at full speed ahead. they don't care about you, the customer. they just want money money money money money money mo money
There is nothing wrong with that. The problem arises when they slam dealerships and tout superiority, and then act just like, or worse than the dealerships.

I think this should be tempered with the fact that Tesla is likely losing money offering free valet or $100 Ranger. I don't believe this is a money grab, but rather an attempt to have service break even.

How about talking to your local service manager so that they can pass the feedback up the chain?

EDIT: I suspect there are cases that are outrageous that are driving this behavior. Customers demanding Tesla drive 300+ miles just to rotate tires, or for a little squeak.

I'm sure a lot of customers are like me - Tesla or Chevy, I "save up" all the things and then have service deal with them all at once. I maximize the time spent - valet or not - doing all the coordination. But I'm sure there are some customers that abuse it.

Last edited:
I think this should be tempered with the fact that Tesla is likely losing money offering free valet or $100 Ranger. I don't believe this is a money grab, but rather an attempt to have service break even.

That's fair. There is no question that Tesla loses money on free warranty service that requires a driver to pick up and deliver my car that is more than a four-hour drive one-way from the service center. But the money being lost on that should have been built into the cost of the car. I did factor in the value of that service when I made the decision to purchase the car, without any fear that Tesla would be taking that service away.

How about talking to your local service manager so that they can pass the feedback up the chain?

I have definitely done that, and I know my service manager has had discussions with higher ups about the issue. I still have not heard any official resolution on how they plan to handle my situation.

EDIT: I suspect there are cases that are outrageous that are driving this behavior. Customers demanding Tesla drive 300+ miles just to rotate tires, or for a little squeak.

I'm sure a lot of customers are like me - Tesla or Chevy, I "save up" all the things and then have service deal with them all at once. I maximize the time spent - valet or not - doing all the coordination. But I'm sure there are some customers that abuse it.

Perhaps there were people abusing the system, but I kind of doubt it. If anything, it may have been Tesla, at first, being overly generous. As an example, I had an issue early on, and also a wind-noise issue. After initially scheduling a ranger visit to deal with the issues, I was told there was now a TSB for the wind noise, but the parts were not yet available. Tesla was still going to have the ranger come to deal with the other issue, and I suggested that we wait for my Next Gen seats to be ready, and deal with everything at the same time.

Another issue is making sure that a customer who lives far away has everything dealt with perfectly the first time. When I had my LTE upgrade done at the same time my car was going in for its annual service the service center wound up keeping the car for basically two full weeks, because they also wound up having to swap out, at my expense, one of the main wiring harnesses due to water intrusion caused by a bad installation done by a lousy third-party installer. They also swapped out the rear applique, for moisture intrusion, under warranty, and that delayed things a day as they waited for a part. But after all that time, my car was returned to me with GPS not functioning at all. By the time I figured that out, the driver who had delivered my car back to me was long gone. So because that was missed when the car was at the service center for two weeks, it had to go back. Note that this wasn't an issue of something going wrong after the car was delivered back to me. The GPS indicated the car was at the service center, so it never functioned away from the service center.

That small mistake someone made--not making 100% certain that everything related to the LTE upgrade was functioning--inconvenienced me, but caused Tesla to have to use a driver and a truck for essentially two more full days. Cutting down on mistakes like that would go a long way towards keeping the costs down.

Last edited:
That small mistake someone made--not making 100% certain that everything related to the LTE upgrade was functioning--inconvenienced me, but caused Tesla to have to use a driver and a truck for essentially two more full days. Cutting down on mistakes like that would go a long way to keeping the costs down.

I suspect there's some flexibility with warranty or delivery items... it doesn't seem to be a one-size-fits-all policy.

I do the same and my service center is local! In fact, my car goes in tomorrow and I turned down their valet and said I'll just bring it in and swap with a loaner.

I do the same and my service center is local! In fact, my car goes in tomorrow and I turned down their valet and said I'll just bring it in and swap with a loaner.

Make that 3 of us.

My car was in last week, and I waited till I had a laundry list of items for them to fix/inspect. My service center is less than a mile from my job, but I don't want to waste my time or their time bringing it in for every little thing.

Same here! I'll take my car in in Feb for the annual service. My motor has both the "clunking" at low speeds, and the buzzing sound at <20kW, but it still works just fine. It may or may not need a new motor, but it's not like I'm rushing into the SC and demanding a new drive unit, unless it just dies one day. I also have a short list of other minor issues. And I'm happy to drive it in and take a loaner.

I still have ranger service for free. I live less than 50 miles from my SC. I spoke to my Ranger when he picked up the car one day, giving me another like model, and he said that if we are under 50 miles, it is free (at least for now in the US-my comment). Over that, it has been discontinued. From a corporate POV, I under the incredible cost to Tesla. Most likely unsustainable. From a consumer POV, I think it is unfair. But I bet the US lawyers (gotta love that nasty crowd) built language that none of us can understand and gives them a loophole of some sort.

I had hoped that Elon would have built a company that would be different. I understand the pressures they are under to keep costs down. But I think it just plain sucks.

I've told a dozen people not to buy a Tesla since the elimination of prepaid Ranger service. Nobody outside range of a Service Center should buy a Tesla.

Unless they open more service centers, or release their repair manual so that I can get a local shop to do the repairs,.... when my 8-year warranty is up, that's the last Tesla I'll own.

They badly badly need more Service Centers. Like, the year before last. They've been claiming that they'll build more Service Centers, but they simply have not done so.

- - - Updated - - -

I mentioned very early on the software/tech company/silicon valley mindset of Tesla and how a lot of companies of that ilk treat customers differently then more old school companies. I was shot down reasonably quickly by those taking offense to the idea that there was a difference in companies.

Fast forward to today and, if you are inclined to look for it, I believe there is plenty of evidence of the "my way or the highway" approach common with the Apples and Microsofts of this world.
You know, I don't buy anything from either of those companies? Linux on the computer, Android on the phone and tablet.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not an old fart yet, but this is so insanely true. We've used a few B2B Silicone Valley startups at my business, and the general attitude towards customers is pretty abysmal.
Bad attitude towards customers is a good way to kill a company, long-run or even short run.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a shame that Tesla can make a commitment on its web site that factors into a customer's purchase decision, but then can renege on this commitment because it's not in writing anywhere in a contract. How is that supposed to inspire confidence in the brand? Isn't part of Tesla's brand promise excellent service, and if so, how does this type of behavior promote such a promise?

It basically gives Tesla the reputation of "shady car dealer". Which seems undesirable if they want the company to thrive.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying it is! Not at all. It's just a repeatable pattern that someday is really going to bite them in the ass in the form of a lawsuit or a class-action. And that's going to cost them 100x more goodwill than just "doing the right thing" in the first place.

Yeah. Tesla's developing a catalog of this stuff. And it's all so avoidable, which is what really gets to me. A little forethought, maybe a Chief Risk Officer (I'm willing to take the job), would have headed all these problems off before they happened. By, y'know, doing an actuarial estimate of the cost of service before offering the Ranger policy in the first place -- putting in some sort of restriction like "We reserve the right to bundle minor warranty fixes and delay repairs for up to 6 months for issues which are not safety-related and do not prevent driving" -- warning on the website that you should consider waiting until a service center opens in your area -- you know.

Last edited:
As someone who only recently ordered an MS but hasn't taken delivery, I am concerned about the claims and discussions on this forum as well as the official Tesla forums.

Is this something I should discuss with my sales person, maybe get some answers in writing / email?

Perhaps. But I expect Tesla to honor what was promised to those customers.

I've never used the Valet service in part because I'm fortunate enough to be close to a service center. For the sake of customers not as fortunate as myself and for Tesla's future appeal, I hope they honor the service that was promised at purchase.

No Sweat

As someone who only recently ordered an MS but hasn't taken delivery, I am concerned about the claims and discussions on this forum as well as the official Tesla forums.

Is this something I should discuss with my sales person, maybe get some answers in writing / email?

No problems with Valet in Cincinnati. Even if it goes away the Cincinnati Service Center is only like 20 miles from Florence.

I have to say that it is disappointing to hear about this. I was so impressed with everything I had heard and read about the vehicles and the ownership experience. I had plans to buy the Model X next year but until there is a service center in my area (Ottawa) or they reconsider the valet service I won't even consider it. It would be too difficult and time consuming if there were any real problems. Not to mention, quietly changing policies is not a good habit for any company, definitely not one that I'm not interested in getting involved with.

I hope that things change because I would love to be part of a proud community for such an amazing product.

I have to say that it is disappointing to hear about this. I was so impressed with everything I had heard and read about the vehicles and the ownership experience. I had plans to buy the Model X next year but until there is a service center in my area (Ottawa) or they reconsider the valet service I won't even consider it. It would be too difficult and time consuming if there were any real problems. Not to mention, quietly changing policies is not a good habit for any company, definitely not one that I'm not interested in getting involved with.

I hope that things change because I would love to be part of a proud community for such an amazing product.

Call the service center that would be closest to you and speak to the service manager about how they handle the cases where you live. Don't ask corporate, they'll give you the lowest-common-denominator answer -- instead, talk to the service center that would be working on your car.