Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Valet service goes POOF!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to chime in on the positive side of things, I have a service appointment on Friday. I am getting a loaner and they are picking up my car from a third location (I live 60 miles from the SC but will be in Boston on Friday). When the car is done they will return it to me at home and pick up the loaner. So it seems the valet option is alive and well in Boston, although I have been waiting for a service appointment for a list of minor issues for a while.

I'll report back if there is a big cost for this. My last service experiences have been very positive with none of the costs or issues posted here.

And remember that nothing that service manager says is binding on future behaviors, which can change any time except where bound by contract.
Tesla so far seems to honour things if you can prove it to them, so if you have it in writing you're probably good. Of course so far I've found most of my attempts to do that have resulted in them avoiding email, text, or any other logable medium and wanting to talk to me and tell me what they'll do, which of course is useless. I have however started recording any phone calls with Tesla (check the legalities in your jurisdiction)

^^ this. Service centers have discretion.

But how does that help if the service manager says, "Sure, we'll take care of you. No problem.", and then in six months or a year or three that service manager is no longer at that location and a different service manager is, and the new service manager wants nothing to do with the agreement the original service manager made? Or even worse, six months after the conversation above, the same service manager says, "I'm sorry, but word came down from corporate that we just can't do this any longer."

In other threads you've been a proponent for getting everything in writing, and that if it isn't in a binding contract it means nothing. To suggest to someone considering purchasing a car to accept anything other than a binding contract from Tesla seems counter-productive.

But how does that help if the service manager says, "Sure, we'll take care of you. No problem.", and then in six months or a year or three that service manager is no longer at that location and a different service manager is, and the new service manager wants nothing to do with the agreement the original service manager made? Or even worse, six months after the conversation above, the same service manager says, "I'm sorry, but word came down from corporate that we just can't do this any longer."

In other threads you've been a proponent for getting everything in writing, and that if it isn't in a binding contract it means nothing. To suggest to someone considering purchasing a car to accept anything other than a binding contract from Tesla seems counter-productive.

Tesla doesn't put this in writing and it likely never will. That's why it's a good idea to have a conversation with your local service center and to develop a good relationship with your service manager. That's the only thing that can be suggested at this point. Future hypotheticals are future hypotheticals.

The reality is that Tesla policies are evolving and we cannot expect them to continue offering certain benefits indefinitely, especially as the fleet grows. I understand that this is a conundrum for some owners, but as I said, if you have a good relationship with your SvC, they will often go that extra mile to make you happy. No, it's not in writing, but short of getting something in writing this seems to be the next best thing.

Tesla doesn't put this in writing and it likely never will. That's why it's a good idea to have a conversation with your local service center and to develop a good relationship with your service manager. That's the only thing that can be suggested at this point. Future hypotheticals are future hypotheticals.

The reality is that Tesla policies are evolving and we cannot expect them to continue offering certain benefits indefinitely, especially as the fleet grows. I understand that this is a conundrum for some owners, but as I said, if you have a good relationship with your SvC, they will often go that extra mile to make you happy. No, it's not in writing, but short of getting something in writing this seems to be the next best thing.

I don't disagree with anything that you just wrote.

But the original poster, Phishboan, that people were responding to had said he had plans to purchase a Model X next year, but now would not. The advice being given to him--talk to the service manager, get it in writing, etc., --would not in any way protect him should he decide to move forward with a purchase.

I don't disagree with anything that you just wrote.

But the original poster, Phishboan, that people were responding to had said he had plans to purchase a Model X next year, but now would not. The advice being given to him--talk to the service manager, get it in writing, etc., --would not in any way protect him should he decide to move forward with a purchase.

I don't think there is any way to protect oneself from Tesla policies that are fluid. Sadly, it looks like Tesla may lose a few sales over this issue but not many. I think it was int he last earnings call that Tesla said 90% of the fleet is within 50 miles of a service center, or something along those lines. When I bought my car in 2013, I almost canceled my order when I couldn't find a service center in Arizona anywhere on Tesla's list of SvCs. It wasn't until I called Tesla that they told me there was a temporary facility that wasn't listed. If this facility did not exist, I would not have purchased this car even with a promise of valet service. I simply don't feel comfortable without having a service center in my local area. Everyone will have a different comfort level and tolerance for risk. Mine just happens to be pretty low.

I don't think there is any way to protect oneself from Tesla policies that are fluid. Sadly, it looks like Tesla may lose a few sales over this issue but not many. I think it was int he last earnings call that Tesla said 90% of the fleet is within 50 miles of a service center, or something along those lines. When I bought my car in 2013, I almost canceled my order when I couldn't find a service center in Arizona anywhere on Tesla's list of SvCs. It wasn't until I called Tesla that they told me there was a temporary facility that wasn't listed. If this facility did not exist, I would not have purchased this car even with a promise of valet service. I simply don't feel comfortable without having a service center in my local area. Everyone will have a different comfort level and tolerance for risk. Mine just happens to be pretty low.
Good advice. I'm similar. I would not buy a Tesla unless there is a service center that I feel comfortable reaching myself (and wouldn't cost too much to have to tow a car to it). Basically people should approach this with a "plan B" and not assume these kind of soft policies will stick.

Good advice. I'm similar. I would not buy a Tesla unless there is a service center that I feel comfortable reaching myself (and wouldn't cost too much to have to tow a car to it). Basically people should approach this with a "plan B" and not assume these kind of soft policies will stick.

Agreed. I didn't even seriously look into Tesla a viable option to me until the Charlotte Service Center broke ground.

if you have a good relationship with your SvC,

I don't want to have a relationship with my service center. I don't want to go there at all. Tesla advertises how little maintenance their cars need, and harp on the simplicity of the design, and yet Teslas go to the service center far, far more often than any other car I've ever owned. If I do have to go there, Tesla should make it as painless as possible, and the Valet service was one way they made up for the lack convenient service centers.

I was snookered by the promise of a Jacksonville FL service center, there was actually an address posted for it, it is still "coming". in retrospect I should have waited until it was actually here.

I looked into Tesla when the permits were issued and bought after they gave local journalists test drives but didn't have their license to open to the public yet. That was close enough for me. But that essentially was "actually here" at that point.

I don't want to have a relationship with my service center. I don't want to go there at all...

I look at things a bit differently. I try to establish and maintain good relationships whenever I can in all walks of life. That's just part of who I am. I love my local Tesla service center and appreciate how hard everyone there works to keep all of us demanding owners happy. I've brought them cupcakes and ordered pizzas for the whole team once. I'm in awe of the great work that they do on a daily basis and I let them know how much I appreciate them.

Is it just me or is there some serious cost cutting happening all around. Not only valet promises going back, but I just posted in another thread that Tesla has suspended ranger service for non-core countries that had been previously clearly listed. I think I even have a screenshot somewhere as I run the Estonian fanclub and remember mentioning that I can always just get a ranger. Well now 2 years later and after a couple of ranger visits, no I can not anymore. That was actually a pretty strong argument for buying a Tesla outside of the core market altogether. And me and a partner, we've bought 6 Model S, contemplate some more and have directly sold some 30-40 additional ones with loads of marketing from our own costs...

i too feel like something crap is going on and Tesla isn't living up to the promised low and unobtrusive service promise. Heck, their service hourly rates are probably highest in the region by a good factor of two or more. Any non-warranty service will be hugely expensive and the yearly maintenance that hardly includes anything costing 500€ is way too expensive.