Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla valet service on flat bed not so ideal in North East?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car went back to service center yesterday for minor maintenance work on a flat bed Tesla sent and it left pretty much in pristine condition and without a scratch. Today I get the car back all covered in mud and with multiple scratches on the car. It seems that the open transport on a flatbed in the middle of winter is not such a good idea?

When I called the service center, they claimed that the car came to the service center all muddy and that they thought the scratch was already on the car. It is a good thing I had a photo and video of the car being loaded up. Also another area of concern is that they tied down the car by looping the straps through the 21" wheels. According to the Telsla manual , it should not be looped through the wheels. A wheel that Telsa repaired just the day before was also scratched up and the remaining wheels were so covered in mud I could not even see if they were damaged as well. In any case, I refused delivery and it went back to the service center.

I only had the car for few weeks so I am bit upset about this experience. Hopefully Tesla will come up with better way to address the transport for the North East.

How it left
6yse3eva.jpg

How it came back
sy3ymuge.jpg

Mine is scheduled for a four-hour trek to Columbus next Friday, and this is scaring the heck out of me. Fortunately I have an Xpel wrap to help defend against some of this wear, but still.

I'll be taking pictures when they load it up, for sure.

Really looking forward to a local Service Center in 2014.

The tow truck that picked up my car was not from Tesla. It was some third party they contracted out to. I'd think the enclosed trailer would be ideal for this area.

Got mixed response from them. They are going to swap out the scratched wheel which I am happy with but as for the scratch on the rear quarter panel they still claim it was there before and now say it was there from the day I bought it. I am pretty anal about the condition of my car so I am sure I would have seen it if it was there before. I also have a photo of the affected area which shows no scratch before but they claim that the photo is not detailed enough to show the scratch. In any case, they claim they wet sanded it out and now want me to drive to the service center to pick up the car since delivering it would get it dirty again. It has summer tires on it so I am not crazy about driving over an hour in freezing weather to drive the car home.

Not sure how to respond. It seems I don't have too many options.

I really hate to say this but I am starting to miss my local dealer. I had a good relationship with them built over time. Unfortunately, this new relationship seems to be off to a bad start.

Last edited:
I would like to report a happy ending to the story. It took a bit of convincing but Tesla came through and delivered the car in a covered transport. They replaced the damaged wheel and fixed the scratch to my satisfaction. I think it definitely helped to have some photographic evidence though.

Last edited:
I would like to report a happy ending to the story. It took a bit of convincing but Tesla came through and delivered the car in a covered transport. They replaced the damaged wheel and fixed the scratch to my satisfaction. I think it definitely helped to have some photographic evidence though.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I think Owners tend to get a bit intransigent and sometimes need to be a bit more flexible, not that you were being unreasonable but it seems like they were trying to meet you halfway. That said, it seems Tesla with few exceptions always comes through.