Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FALSE CARFAX REPORT !
Today, Tesla valued my Roadster # 1125 @ $25,000.00 as a trade-in value on a new Model X.
I learned from Tesla today that Carfax has my Roadster involved in a auto accident with another vehicle on November 3, 2014.( Vin # listed in report was correct)
It lists the accident as a side impact with moderate damage and multiple air bags being deployed, and the Roadster being towed off from the accident site.
False Carfax report!!!!!
Roadster # 1125 has never been involved in an accident.
I tried to explain this to Tesla, but the rep. stated Tesla has to go with the Carfax report and that I needed to correct Carfax.
In searching False Carfax auto accident reporting on google, I have found that many individuals have run into the same problem with Carfax and in selling their autos, they have had to take a loss in order to sell due to the report.
The articles I have read indicated no one has yet had any luck in bringing a successful lawsuit for losses incurred in the sell of an auto or being able to correct a Carfax false report.
I have had Roadster # 1125 listed on AutoTrader since May 2016 with no buyers. This may have something to do with lack of interest from buyers.
I wonder how many other Roadster owners would have the same results from Tesla in an attempted trade-in effort due to false Carfax reporting.
Don't wait until the last minute to find out Ur Roadster has been in a auto accident based on false Carfax reporting.
Helpless in Colorado Springs !
Dean

I'd call CarFax and tell them to fix this issue that's causing great financial loss and devastation to you. State that you're calling a major network news station to give them the story as well as time for a TV / Broadcast interview to cover the story. Back it up with factual evidence showing CarFax has had this issue before and is costing innocent people who are not their paying customers lots of money and serious depreciation of their vehicle. But then you have to be a 'paying customer' to see this information on your car to know that they're misrepresenting it. And if CarFax does not care, then go to the network with the story and allow the world to hear the true facts on CarFax, make sure state how the company has no motivation to correct the issue and this appears to be one shady operation. This to me appears to be total misrepresentation of data that's used to evaluate real market values of an item and can't see it being legal if they don't honor to correct the issue when you can fully supply proof that your vehicle has a clean title and has never been in an accident.

I totally agree with each of U on Ur comments concerning Carfax.
Wiztecy, the idea of taking this story to the media is one that I will explore.
Its my intentions to contact both State Farm and Hartford insurance companies to obtain the Roadster's policy records as one way of disproving the Carfax report.
Also I intend to contact Tesla to see if I can persuade them to pull data records on any air bag deployments( which none have ever happened) as proof of zero accidents in this roadster.
I would appreciate any feedback from members who may have experienced false reports from Carfax or have ideas on how to deal with this false reporting.
Thanks,
Dean

Another angle that has sometimes been helpful for me, is to report this sort of behavior to your state Attorney General. Whether they get actively involved or not, helping establish the pattern of behavior might attract your state AG office to get involved in the future if there are enough of these kinds of reports coming in.

Mostly, I've found that companies that aren't quite in the right, don't like having 3-way conversations that include an AG office :)

I'll beat Tesla and purchase your accident-damaged Roadster for $26k. ;)

CarFax is the worst. Good luck getting it fixed. Unfortunately I've never heard a single story from someone who had success getting an erroneous record corrected. It always ends in them selling the vehicle at reduced value. :(

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
I can't stand Carfax. They screwed my in the past as well- I bought a car with "clean" Carfax only to have them log an accident that happened before I bought it, but 3 years late. I ended up buying a clean car and having to sell at a loss due to them. Their fine print indicates that they do not guarantee accuracy; not very good considering that is there only function.

That's terrible on multiple levels. A somewhat analogous situation are the credit rating agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) reporting false or inaccurate information. Years ago I took a hard look into going after the credit reporting agencies. There have been some successful lawsuits over the years. (Inaccurate Credit Reporting Class Action Lawsuits)

Your particular damages might be something like $25,000 or so, since I've been seeing Roadsters selling in the range of $50k lately. But pursuing the case as an individual would be difficult, since I'm sure you could unload it for $40k, for example, if you were willing to take that little in a private party sale. So establishing your damages in this one case is basically not going to be attractive to most lawyers who could do a good job with this kind of case -- unless it was turned into a class action. Everyone knows class-actions mean the attorneys get rich and everyone else gets screwed, but there are some kinds of cases that can only be pursued as class actions, so it's not like there's no place for them in the legal system. It's just that they often don't produce the best possible results for the injured parties.

I would, for example, think that looking further into this Carfax situation would be worthwhile. And I would encourage you, if you have the time, to go after them. The problem is, if they get a strongly worded letter from a lawyer, they'll probably cave pretty quickly, and so I'm not sure how viable it is to put together a major class action against them.

As for Tesla -- WTF? Like there could've been a Roadster with that amount of damage THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT? I think you might be able to escalate this up the food chain within Tesla. But you know, Musk recently issued the edict to save pennies across the board, so this might be a result of that.

Nothing in this e-mail should be considered legal advice or relied upon in any way, shape or form. This is the internet, after all.

Otherwise, the best I can do is $26k if you want me to take it off your hands ;-)

Lol. Outrage at reporting companies that haven't been doing a good job since ever. Don't even get me started with the IRS. No one at the wheel at any of these companies or agencies so arguing and providing documentation is pointless.

Your better option is to sell it on eBay or private via panjo. Alot of buyers there won't pay for the Carfax and you could just provide the Autocheck which is similar but likely clean to entice a buyer. Whatever you do, don't sell it for $25k. Or $26k.

That's terrible on multiple levels. A somewhat analogous situation are the credit rating agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) reporting false or inaccurate information. Years ago I took a hard look into going after the credit reporting agencies. There have been some successful lawsuits over the years. (Inaccurate Credit Reporting Class Action Lawsuits)

Your particular damages might be something like $25,000 or so, since I've been seeing Roadsters selling in the range of $50k lately. But pursuing the case as an individual would be difficult, since I'm sure you could unload it for $40k, for example, if you were willing to take that little in a private party sale. So establishing your damages in this one case is basically not going to be attractive to most lawyers who could do a good job with this kind of case -- unless it was turned into a class action. Everyone knows class-actions mean the attorneys get rich and everyone else gets screwed, but there are some kinds of cases that can only be pursued as class actions, so it's not like there's no place for them in the legal system. It's just that they often don't produce the best possible results for the injured parties.

I would, for example, think that looking further into this Carfax situation would be worthwhile. And I would encourage you, if you have the time, to go after them. The problem is, if they get a strongly worded letter from a lawyer, they'll probably cave pretty quickly, and so I'm not sure how viable it is to put together a major class action against them.

As for Tesla -- WTF? Like there could've been a Roadster with that amount of damage THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT? I think you might be able to escalate this up the food chain within Tesla. But you know, Musk recently issued the edict to save pennies across the board, so this might be a result of that.

Nothing in this e-mail should be considered legal advice or relied upon in any way, shape or form. This is the internet, after all.

Otherwise, the best I can do is $26k if you want me to take it off your hands ;-)
Tesla does not want to get into reselling roadsters. They will refer the job to shift which has a connection with them. Look at San Franciso shift site, last time I did they had 5 roadsters for sale. These cars are at a minimum 6 years old and tesla gives a 3 year warrantee with selling cars. Battery loss at 9 to 12 year old roadster could be significant as can other warrantee costs. I am not saying they won't support roadsters but I am sure they don't want to give them additional three year warrantee either. If you doubt that why don't they sell extended warrantee so on roadsters any longer? Roadsters fully loaded (excluding 300 mile battery option) with low very low mileage (for a car at least 6 years old) in pristine shape can get 70K at sale. The price has significantly dropped over past two years. If warrantee would cost 10K and tesla to make 10K on sale then they could offer 50K on a trade in. The warrantee and profit numbers I give are made up by me but reasonable in my opinion. Yes they can become classics but not for years and tesla would obviously not holding them that duration

FALSE CARFAX REPORT !
Today, Tesla valued my Roadster # 1125 @ $25,000.00 as a trade-in value on a new Model X.
I learned from Tesla today that Carfax has my Roadster involved in a auto accident with another vehicle on November 3, 2014.( Vin # listed in report was correct)
It lists the accident as a side impact with moderate damage and multiple air bags being deployed, and the Roadster being towed off from the accident site.
False Carfax report!!!!!
Roadster # 1125 has never been involved in an accident.
I tried to explain this to Tesla, but the rep. stated Tesla has to go with the Carfax report and that I needed to correct Carfax.
In searching False Carfax auto accident reporting on google, I have found that many individuals have run into the same problem with Carfax and in selling their autos, they have had to take a loss in order to sell due to the report.
The articles I have read indicated no one has yet had any luck in bringing a successful lawsuit for losses incurred in the sell of an auto or being able to correct a Carfax false report.
I have had Roadster # 1125 listed on AutoTrader since May 2016 with no buyers. This may have something to do with lack of interest from buyers.
I wonder how many other Roadster owners would have the same results from Tesla in an attempted trade-in effort due to false Carfax reporting.
Don't wait until the last minute to find out Ur Roadster has been in a auto accident based on false Carfax reporting.
Helpless in Colorado Springs !
Dean

Dean, Although it won't be 100%, I would ask your insurance company for a "Letter of Experience" covering the time that CarFax said the accident happened...most folks would not have the financial ability to pay for such repairs as CarFax describes to your Roadster, without processing a claim through their insurance.

When your insurance company provides you with this letter, send it to CarFax and tell them that the insurer of record at the time of said accident shows no record of any claim being reported nor paid...as I said, it won't be 100% effective, but it will be a low cost start to you asking CarFax to change their records.

Hope this helps!

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak and tvuolo

I want to warn you too that when the member (hate to call him that and prefer clown) DIBarns sees you're selling your Roadster and that your car was quoted to be $25k by CarFax, he'll have no hesitation giving you a lowball offer of $6k for it!!! Only benefit this guy has for the seller is that he bumps the thread back to the top. Its kinda of an inside joke unless you've been following the "Tesla's For Sale" section:

DlBarns

...then click on "postings". Or follow this google see his response to the Tesla listings: [email protected] - Google Search

But getting back to it, going the media route combined with a letter from a lawyer will help give you strength that you need to fight this.

Last edited:
You'd think Tesla would want to buy every Roadster out there, upgrade them to 3.0 and I think there would be a market.

Selling used cars is a bad market for a new car manufacturer to be in, its purely distracting and takes away your needed resources. Focus on your new innovations and support your old ones with parts & service. And support customers for the long-term as they are with the 3.0 battery on the Roadster. From a customer standpoint the CPOs are a great deal, from the manufacturer they're a liability. Customers made out with the Roadster CPO's by far, not sustainable by Tesla and was a Roadster to Model-S transition tool piece which worked well.

Tesla wanted to give a good impression of a vehicle to the customer, hence they replaced lots of things mostly cosmetic to make the customer feel good and happy about their purchase, added a generous warranty to the package and called it a CPO. Push out an 7-8 year car car and you now need to start replacing parts that you just may not have in inventory. And if you don't have it you now need to spin up an expensive process called a production run with all its setup and QA. As a current Roadster owner, I say no thanks since that'll be cutting into parts I need :)

If a customer wants a 3.0 Roadster, buy a used Roadster and upgrade. Tesla will be happy to support you but keep in mind that tech's will be mostly trained for the S,X and soon to be 3.

This is a territory every car maker should NOT be in. Surprised Tesla entered it for a short time with the Roadster.

Last edited:
Right now there is Roadster for sale on the forecourt of Tesla London Gatwick, but it's a private sale on behalf of a customer that bought a Model S.

As for the alleged accident damage to this one, surely any competent loss adjuster could inspect the car and give a clean bill of health?

I see that #1125 is listed on Autotrader for $57,995 now:

Check out this 2010 Tesla Roadster on Autotrader
sporty.png

It is mentioned in the listing as a "Tesla Roadster Sport", but the VIN is not for a Sport, and it lacks many Sport indicators such as:

#1: No "Roadster Sport" logo on the back.
43311285770.423294848.IM1.09.565x421_A.316x421.jpg

#2: No "Roadster Sport" badge on the left side.
43311285766.423294848.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

#3: The TE"S"LA seat stitching has a red S, not black. Sport seats had a contrasting color "S".
43311285773.423294848.IM1.12.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

#4: No Sport logo on the PEM.
43311285778.423294848.IM1.17.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

But oddly, the collection of pictures includes some with Sport badges (in front of the rear wheels) on the sides:
43311285768.423294848.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

43311285767.423294848.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

What's up with the inconsistency of mixing up pictures of Sport and not Sport Roadster and calling it a Sport even though it isn't ?

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak