Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...possibly 1125 *was* hit and CarFax *is* correct. Is @Dean415 the sole original owner? I can see an owner not wanting the S highlight in the seats, there are sports that have no highlighted S and even absolutely no Tesla stitching on the seat came new from Tesla at the owners request or a stocking / delivery decision. If the car was hit in the rear, I can see the sport emblems on the side and rear not being applied. I also can see if the PEM got smacked and damaged in an accident that It could have been replaced with one that has no Sport markings.... possibly not flashed to be a sport but then you'd have to verify the firmware.

I'm with TEG, the pics are very odd and loving Roadsters would also make me suspicious if I was a prospective buyer.

The VIN # is for a non-Sport model.

Theories:
#1: Maybe some of the pictures in the listing are of a different car?
#2: Maybe sport badges were added to the sides incorrectly? (Possibly after repair?)
#3: Someone mistakenly called it a Sport on the autotrader listing even though it is not. (Although having pix with sport badges on the side is further misleading.)

Having these sorts of unanswered questions just add to the "buyer beware" concerns here.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: yak-55 and wiztecy
Thanks 4 bringing the "Sports" heading to my attention.
I went to AutoTrader and edited out the word "Sport" in the 4 sale title." Note" The change in the ad will not take effect 4 24 hours. It will read " Used 2010 Tesla Roadster UNAVAIL ! "
I also stated in the sellers comment section of the ad that it is " Not the Sport Model ".
As 4 the pics of the Roadster it does have the sports emblem tags on both sides of the Roadster, they were given to me by a salesman in a Tesla showroom, while we were in Colorado several years ago, I like the flare it gives the Roadsters appearance, it was not to deceive anyone, 4 I never felt that I would be selling it, but time changes everything.
I do not intend to remove the emblem 4 Ur satisfaction either.
When I have the Roadster in 4 service, I point this fact out to the service adviser and he assures me the service performed is based on the vin# and not the Sports emblem.
Thanks again, 4 the heads up on the ad and all the Free Attention U may have brought to my AutoTrader AD.
I personally would not have used this forum to display my ad and pics, thus the AutoTrader AD.
Dean

Last edited:

Thanks 182RG for the link to dispute CarFax - Vehicle History reports;
On Sept.8th, 2016, when I approached Tesla about trading in my 2010 2.5 Fusion Red Roadster on a Model X, I was informed that an existing CarFax accident report listing the Roadster as being involved in an accident in Texas on 11-03-2014. No other information and therefore as a result of the false report Tesla lo-balled the trade-in estimate( 25K ) based on the false CarFax accident report.
I received several helpful hints from other Tesla Motors Club members, but this link from 182RG proved to produced the lead I needed to expunge this false accident report from the history of my Roadster.
I was able to learn the names of the streets associated with the intersection in which the accident occurred and that it was in Houston, Tx.
With that info, I made a few calls to the Houston PD, received a Crash Report which listed the HPD police officers name and precinct , the drivers of the vehicles and make of vehicles involved in the accident plus license plate numbers.
The vehicle listed as unit # 1 was a Tesla Model S with a plate # of OOGAS, which was actually the # of my Roadsters' license plate.
The officer made a clerical error and left off the letter T on TOOGAS, the license plate of the Model S, thus implicating my Roadster( OOGAS ) as being in the accident.
It took a lot of research, phone calls to Houston PD and mailing forms back and fourth, but as of 12-19-2016, the HPD officer corrected his Crash Report and after I e-mailed a copy to CarFax and AutoCheck, both reporting agencys removed my Roadster from the accident and sent me Clean reports as of 1-04-2017.
I am now approaching Tesla once again on trading in the Roadster, I presented Tesla reps. with the clean CarFax report and I am awaiting a new trade-in value.

Not as bad as what @Dean412 experienced, but we too have had our share of issues with police typos. Our Model S, NJ KICKGAS, has a doppelganger in North Jersey with a 1 instead of the I (K1CKGAS). This person has gotten multiple parking tickets over the past 3 years in North Jersey and New York state and not paid them, so we have gotten letters for these delinquent parking tickets at least 3 times. It has taken multiple phone calls and letters to get them taken care of showing evidence that we could not have been in that location on that date. One lady who answered the phone said "if it bothers you, change your license plate." Is it too much to ask for people to be careful and accurate?

• Funny
Reactions: wiztecy
Is it too much to ask for people to be careful and accurate?
Yes, sadly.

A few years ago police started pounding on my front door. An officer demanded to see my SUV immediately. I asked why and he said I was involved in a hit and run and would probably be arrested and the vehicle impounded. Turned out, someone was hit in a parking lot near my house. The victim wrote down my license plate, and called the police. The officer obviously didn't see any damage on my vehicle and apologized, and actually called me a few days later to apologize again, saying that the old lady was full of crap and had no idea what brand, make, model, or even style of vehicle it was, didn't even see it happen, so when I drove nearby as she was looking at her car, she decided it was me.

So ... it's easy to get wrangled into stuff you had nothing to do with. I got lucky it was so easy to avoid that time.

Well, today I received the trade - in estimate from Tesla Motors and to my surprise it increased by 15K with the Clear CarFax report.
Tesla is offering 40K towards the purchase of the Model X.
CarMax with the Clear AutoCheck report has only increased its cash offer by 4K ( 35K w/ false AutoCheck report ), now 39K cash or towards purchase of another vehicle.( Winter was indicated as" not a good time of year to be selling sport cars " )
Tesla stated that they would match the CarMax offer if higher, as CarMax is part of their network of buyers. Go figure ?
I will hold out to see what my AutoTrader ad brings in the spring & summer months of 2017, as far as new buyers.
Tesla 's not making any more Roadsters, any time soon , so as the supply dwindles maybe the demand will go up ?
No hurry to sell and AutoTrader ad is a " Run Until IT Sells " type ad with no increase in cost.
Dean

So the car is worth $60k, right? Texas sales tax is 6.25% (plus any county/city tax you may encounter) so trading in for $40k means saving $2,500. I definitely would stop considering trading it in, it's not worth it except for the ease of not having to sell the car. For $20k, it's worth the headache imho.

It's also the worst time of year to sell, so I agree that waiting until spring and seeing how it goes is the right move. Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: DeedWest