Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla van - Model V ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry - but the model V is not going to be a van. Moreover, out of over some 20+ Tesla models, the van will be 5th to the last to go into production.

:D
View attachment 454784

In the meantime, & on a more serious note, you can always go the route that we had to do, needing tons of cargo room sometimes (like drywall or plywood) , & sometimes needing 7 passengers.
View attachment 454785

Sure, in theory we could have purchased a trailer for big cargo, but we are on a postage size property where that can't be possible, even if it were possible to disassemble it. A van works for our dual purposes, & the less than 10% of our trip miles are ever over it's 33 mile EV range anyway ..... st least until somebody makes a 100% EV version.

I might get the Pacifica if they increase the battery for 2020 and improve reliability. The other option is Rav4/highlander PHEV might be coming.

I think most Americans don't seem to realise how small European roads are, the Tesla truck I've seen can't park anywhere in the city, even the model S can't park normally in every street in Amsterdam already, you end op over the line on both sides of the vehicle already.

I am sure Tesla would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this. You can contact them at [email protected]. The Model 3 is more than 13 inches (about 33 cm) shorter in width than the Model S, so I suspect it already is better adapted for European roads. If Tesla makes cars and trucks that fit a majority of roads worldwide, it will make their job easier as opposed to having to make shorter width cars and trucks to better account for smaller width roads and parking spaces. It should also make new or potential new customers happier.

I am sure Tesla would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this. You can contact them at [email protected]. The Model 3 is more than 13 inches (about 33 cm) shorter in width than the Model S, so I suspect it already is better adapted for European roads. If Tesla makes cars and trucks that fit a majority of roads worldwide, it will make their job easier as opposed to having to make shorter width cars and trucks to better account for smaller width roads and parking spaces. It should also make new or potential new customers happier.
Well, I think the Tesla Tilburg, or Amsterdam has already told them ages ago, so no need to waste more of their time. I also think that European Tesla's will have more broken mirrors or small side damages compared to frontal crashed compared to America. And they should be able to notice that.

If you try to find a European (petrol) car similar to the model S or 3, you'll see that the European versions are less wide.
I'm talking about:
Mercedes S klasse has a width of 190cm (up to 527 length!!)
Tesla model S has a width of 196cm (498 length)
Audi A6 has a width of 187cm (493 length)
Ford mondeo has a width of 185cm (487 length) (American car European version?)
Skoda Superb has a width of 186 (486 length)
Peugeot 508 has a width of 186cm width (480 length)
Volkswagen Passat has a width of 183 (478 length)
Volvo S60 has a width of 185 (476 length)
Audi A4 has a width of 184cm (473 length)
BMW 3 serie has a width of 183 (471 length)
Tesla model 3 has a width of 185cm (469 length)
Mercedes C klasse has a width of 181cm (469 length)
Peugeot 408 has a width of 181cm (468 length)
Mercedes A klasse has a width of 180 (455 length)
Renault laguna has a width of 178cm (450 length)

*Some models of the same brand have differend sizes over time, I randomly grabbed one.

02367f2bab2aad8911c8031fc1803dac17bc3262b16bdee02ffe79be471f74ac.jpg

We know that the initial offerings are the S3XY and then a pickup. However, I want a van.

Now you have me pondering what words are likely to follow S3XY that start with a 'V'?

V = Van built on the cybertruck chassis
I = Small three-wheeled vehicle that looks like a small pod
R = Racecar
T = Truck (the semi)
U = U-turn, the first car with 360-degree rotating wheels to turn at any angle
E = Eagle, a Model X with wing extensions and VTOL motors

What, you thought I was going to spell something else? :D

"In-between a minivan and van in size" sounds targeted at vans like the Volkswagen Transporter, Mercedes V-Class/Vito/Metris, and Ford Transit Custom.

For context, in the US market, we have "minivans" which are the same class of vehicle as Europe's MPVs, and the very definition of the US minivan is the Chrysler minivans, the previous generation of which was sold in Europe as the Chrysler/Lancia Voyager.

Then, we have "vans", which... nowadays means the Mercedes Sprinter, Ford Transit, and Ram ProMaster (Fiat Ducato), although there is still the Chevy Express as a traditional American full-size van as a cheaper option than the European full-size vans.

As far as going between those size classes... while the Volkswagen Transporter used to be sold here, the 4th-generation was too expensive compared to either smaller minivans or larger, lower-tech full-size vans, so it was discontinued. The Mercedes Metris (US-market rear-wheel-drive Vito) exists in this market now, but I don't think I've seen a single one in person - they're really expensive for what you get, and there's not much demand in the US for that size class - if you need small, you really need small and will get a Ford Transit Connect or Ram ProMaster City (Fiat Doblò), but you usually don't need small, so a Transit or Sprinter will work fine.

And, of course, you can get a low-roof short wheelbase Transit in the US, which is a direct replacement for traditional US-market full-size vans (which are traditionally low-roof - when the Sprinter launched in the US market in the early 2000s, it was drastically different from anything we had here due to its factory high-roof options, and even the lower-roof configurations being fairly tall compared to our vans), and isn't that much bigger than the mid-size European vans.

So Tesla targeting what sounds like that size class is interesting - could simply be that the compromises for an EV are different from those for an ICE van, and going in between classes gets range numbers to work better. And, of course, that particular size class is huge in Europe.

Last edited: