Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vaughan service horror story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Plaid at Vaughan several days ago and received an estimate from them on Saturday to get all of my rotors and pads replaced on my older Model S, along with a safety inspection as part of my private sale process. They provided me an estimate of approximately $1700, which I approved.

This morning I took the 2015 S85D into service and shortly afterwards received a phone call and revised estimate, for $6800!!! They claimed that the original estimate only covered rear rotors/pads, but that I also needed front rotors and pads. Also my parking brake pads were worn, which required replacement of not just the pads themselves but the entire calipers, for $1507.50. Finally, my rear link ends were worn, and that would require another $2287.35 to replace. Total estimate was now $6786.33, a whopping $5,000 more than I anticipated.

I asked to see the original estimate to clarify what exactly it covered, but that estimate was no longer visible in my account. Tesla couldn't see it either. So, a document that was agreed to had vanished and was replaced by a completely new document. Shouldn't there be a history of estimates that could be viewed? They agreed with me that there should be a history.

Note to others: when you get an estimate from Telsa, take a screensnap or download the PDF as evidence so if Tesla changes it, at least you will retain the original.

Also, from what I'm aware of, worn link ends shouldn't affect a safety inspection. There are no noises or handling issues that I've experienced, and I had major suspension work done last year when my rear lower control arm broke.

Between my wife and I we have owned 4 different Teslas and 2 Powerwalls; we love the products but are pretty frustrated and disgusted with the business side of the company. There's no concept of rewarding customer loyalty. I can't wait until a serious competitor appears to accelerate their levels of customer satisfaction.

I took delivery of my Plaid at Vaughan several days ago and received an estimate from them on Saturday to get all of my rotors and pads replaced on my older Model S, along with a safety inspection as part of my private sale process. They provided me an estimate of approximately $1700, which I approved.

This morning I took the 2015 S85D into service and shortly afterwards received a phone call and revised estimate, for $6800!!! They claimed that the original estimate only covered rear rotors/pads, but that I also needed front rotors and pads. Also my parking brake pads were worn, which required replacement of not just the pads themselves but the entire calipers, for $1507.50. Finally, my rear link ends were worn, and that would require another $2287.35 to replace. Total estimate was now $6786.33, a whopping $5,000 more than I anticipated.

I asked to see the original estimate to clarify what exactly it covered, but that estimate was no longer visible in my account. Tesla couldn't see it either. So, a document that was agreed to had vanished and was replaced by a completely new document. Shouldn't there be a history of estimates that could be viewed? They agreed with me that there should be a history.

Note to others: when you get an estimate from Telsa, take a screensnap or download the PDF as evidence so if Tesla changes it, at least you will retain the original.

Also, from what I'm aware of, worn link ends shouldn't affect a safety inspection. There are no noises or handling issues that I've experienced, and I had major suspension work done last year when my rear lower control arm broke.

Between my wife and I we have owned 4 different Teslas and 2 Powerwalls; we love the products but are pretty frustrated and disgusted with the business side of the company. There's no concept of rewarding customer loyalty. I can't wait until a serious competitor appears to accelerate their levels of customer satisfaction.
That is very poor indeed. Did you make any money on the sale or was it all eaten up by the bill?

When you approve an estimate now, the site will ask you if you want a downloadable copy. Just had an estimate two days ago, so I noticed when it popped up.
Yes, this is true, but the way my phone is configured, I can't open the file or save it. I have several different apps capable of viewing PDF files, but most assume that the file is properly named with a .PDF file extension. I had to try the open using different apps until I found one that could view it, then I saved the file, renamed it to .PDF, after which all was good.

Even today I got notification that my car was ready to be picked up with an invoice of $2300. But by the time I showed up the invoice had changed to $4003 since they decided to include the parking brake calipers while the earlier invoice stated that I declined that repair.

Pretty horrible on so many levels, sigh.

The good news is that I finalized the sale of my S85D, received a deposit, and getting ready for the transfer of ownership.

I went to this location today to get a set of BT TPMS for my winter rims/tires. Seemed pretty nice but crazy chaotic busy there. It's a HUGE location compared to the Lawrence/DVP area where I live.
What did the BT TPMS run you from there? I’m conflicted because wheelsco.ca, where I purchased my winter tire package, sells the TPMS but it’s $650 for the set. The only thing is, they are going to mount and balance the wheels for me. I’m wondering if I eat the difference in price, and they’ll install them when doing the “lace-up” instead of having to get them, bring them to a shop, break the bead and potentially damage rims and then install the sensors.. (also, I cannot pick up and give them the TPMS from somewhere else as they are being shipped to me)

A lot was eaten up, but still better than the trade-in value offered by Tesla. Also the new owner will keep free supercharging and premium connectivity, those would be stripped by Tesla if I traded it in to them.
Are you sure that the new owner will keep premium connectivity and free supercharging? the things I’ve read indicate that only paid options (like fsd and acceleration boost) will transfer to the owner. Premium connctvty specifically is lost even if next owner is 3rd party. No first hand knowledge of this

What did the BT TPMS run you from there? I’m conflicted because wheelsco.ca, where I purchased my winter tire package, sells the TPMS but it’s $650 for the set. The only thing is, they are going to mount and balance the wheels for me. I’m wondering if I eat the difference in price, and they’ll install them when doing the “lace-up” instead of having to get them, bring them to a shop, break the bead and potentially damage rims and then install the sensors.. (also, I cannot pick up and give them the TPMS from somewhere else as they are being shipped to me)
When I got them last year it was roughly $450 (tax included) when I bought it from Tesla directly for all 4 sensors.

I don't deny the sticker shock here - it's real, and I'd be grimacing too. But does the original estimate change the fact this work was needed? Sounds like it was more a matter of when, not if. Did they ask for your consent prior to doing the work? Presumably you could have said no, for the things that weren't a safety issue?

$432 Canadian, including HST