Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicle Registration Data - Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a little off topic for this thread, but the official numbers for the Netherlands have also been posted. So far, a disappointing 17 Model S's were registered in 2014. (7 in Jan, 10 in Feb). The tightening on fiscal rules for EV cars unfortunately clearly had a bigger impact than any technological reasons (like charging, concern about fires, etc...) This is both good and bad news : it means consumers aren't rejecting the Model S for possibly reported shortcomings on the one hand, but it also means that the Model S currently isn't a strong enough value proposition for Dutch consumers without the previous extraordinary fiscal incentives in place (just to be clear, there is still a strong fiscal stimulus for EV cars, just not as stupenduously strong as it used to be) I don't know the German market as well as I know the Dutch market, but I would not be surprised if the same holds.

The recent price cuts hopefully will help a bit, but if a further reduction would be necessary to convince Dutch buyers, I fear we won't see an increase in the numbers of Model S's for a good while in the Netherlands because there are other markets waiting to be opened that are still prepared to pay the 25% margin Tesla is aiming for. From the company's point of view it would make sense to focus on those countries first and scale the sales organisation in the Netherlands back (because, given its size, it won't be sustainable with sales of just a dozen cars a month).

It's going to be very interesting to see where the march and april numbers are going to be!

I heard the Model S is still selling well in The Netherlands, but because of new fiscal rules per 1 January Tesla tried hard to deliver as many cars as possible in December. As a consequence there weren't many orders left to be delivered in January and February. Deliveries should be up from now on. The car is still a very attractive proposition.

That's certainly possible. Just today someone reported in the Dutch section (you must have read it as well, R_S_F) planned delivery in May for a January order. So we should see an uptick in the number of registrations in 2 months. Maybe Dutch deliveries in the beginning of the 2014 are deliberately held back to give other neighbouring countries a chance of catching up.

It's likely. From what I've understood the Netherlands and Norway are the main surprises in their aggressive buys. I guess the pipeline for Netherlands was just emptied at the cost of others in December to make sure that the incentives are used properly and that also led to possible starvation of neighboring countries (could also partially explain Germany) and as there's anyway a seasonality due to shipping the true registration information is the one of March as in EU it'll be for the foreseeable future that cars come in waves with most sales in the last month of the quarter. I guess they'll try to streamline this more over time, but it's nothing too weird at this point. So March will be an interesting indicator and I think next quarter will show actual orders from this year. Watching the rest of EU is interesting though :)

I can already say that in Estonia February added the second Model S and in March now the number should go up significantly. I'd guess we'll go from 2 to ~6-8 or more :) And the spillover effect from the event of me getting the car in December (which had huge media attention) will actually come in Q2. So we'll see :) In any case 1st week of April we'll see the registration data and then in May the spillover of cars in transit from Tilburg to Estonia that got registered in April.

It remains very hard to predict the sales based on the lagging indicator of car registrations. For example, MaartenSt, a very well known observer of the Dutch Tesla market expected an uptick in car registrations already for february. But that turned out to be not true. From reading the relevant thread in the Dutch section of this forum, it seems that nearly everyone who ordered in Dec/Jan got a May delivery estimate. If the Netherlands has been held back deliberately that would suggest that we won't see an increase in delivery numbers here before May because Tesla is still too busy fullfilling orders in the rest of Europe.

Yesterday I was at the Tilburg plant (which besides being a sub-assembly plant and service center is now also a store) and was pleasantly surprised. There are hundreds of cars there on their way to customers.

On the day I was there many Dutch cars were being delivered to their owners, but most cars seemed destined for other European countries. The inside of the plant, which can house hundreds of cars, was completely full (300 cars?), so approx. 100 cars had to be parked outside, and dozens more were being readied for transport on trucks for delivery throughout Europe.

Tesla can probably not deliver all of these cars in Q1, but a lot of them will be.

I heard the Model S is still selling well in The Netherlands, but because of new fiscal rules per 1 January Tesla tried hard to deliver as many cars as possible in December. As a consequence there weren't many orders left to be delivered in January and February. Deliveries should be up from now on. The car is still a very attractive proposition.

It it seems Model S is doing new record deliveries in Norway per the below post copy/pasted from Tesla Motors website forums:

----------------------------
Tesla Model S crushes all!
The numbers are so strong that one hardly can believe what you read.

The super el-car Tesla Model S reached a market share of 11.1% through the past week. According to the recent registration statistics from the OFV 343 Model S was recorded, miles ahead of the VW Golf and Toyota Auris, which could boast of, respectively, 151 and 128 vehicles.

All indications are that the Tesla Model S will be the big winner in March. Already there are 547 registered cars, against 424 Auris and 336 Golf.

2013 was a fantastic year for Tesla Norway, with 1983 Model S registrations. 2014 does not seem to become weaker, on the contrary. So far we are up to 1,110 cars.

Last week was by far the best in Tesla's history in Norway. Registration number was over twice as high as the best week of 2013.

The Model S-Registration distributed so far in 2014:

11.3-17.3: 343
4.3-10.3: 176
25.2-3.3: 170
18.2-24.2: 121
4.2-10.2: 75
28.1-3.2: 50
21.1-27.1: 10
14.1-20.1: 27
7.1-13.1: 12
1.1-6.1: 12

The best week last year (10.9-16.9): 161

----------------------------------------------

Had a chat with someone in Tesla yesterday and they have an assload of S's going to Norway. Basically all Norwegian SC-s will be delivering cars 24x7 for the foreseeable future so expect a major blowout in Norwegian registrations.

Can confirm. I live in Bergen and drive by the Tesla SC almost every day - it is stuffed with cars. And yesterday I saw another trailer full of Model S, presumably headed for the store.

The number reached 592 as of yesterday evening. By now the number is probably in the 620-area. They are registering around 50 Model S every day, so they may break 1000 registered this month.

If that happens, it will really spark some articles. It hasn't happened in the last three years that a given model has broken 1000 registred in one month, and I'm not sure if it has ever happened.

ask Realist, he is convinced Model S cannot hold a candle towards his wife's VW Golf R :tongue:

besides that, we are talking Norway registration numbers here. If these are real, Norway is using half of Tesla's production ATM. :scared:

besides that, we are talking Norway registration numbers here. If these are real, Norway is using half of Tesla's production ATM. :scared:

Yikes, I hadn't thought it this way ;) It seems indeed that when Elon promised in Oslo, that in Q1 and Q2 Norway would get priority he really meant it... Getting half of Teslas production for one month or basically total ca 20% of global production of a quarter is huge for a small country like Norway :)

I'm happy to say that Estonia, tiny as it may be, may well show double digit Model S's as early as this month though more likely early April due to shipping etc. I mean that'd be almost 10% of Germany for a tiny place like Estonia ;)

The Brussels (Belgium) service centre also has around 40 mostly fully loaded Model S available for immediate sale. There has been some speculation in the Dutch language forum on why this is the case but besides guessing these are meant as loaners not much is known about them (net even how many kilometres these cars have). Maybe it's the same inventory listed in Belgium and Germany?