Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicle Wireless Network Software Glitch (Initializing Loop)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I've encountered what appears to be a bug in firmware versions 17.11.3 and up. When attaching to certain WiFi networks, the wireless NIC appears to crash resulting in it going into an "Initializing" state. It happens usually within about 10 seconds of connecting to a network. Best guess is that the response it's getting to its broadcast traffic from other devices once it connects to the network is causing the crash. I spoke with another owner who has both an S and an X at the Denver service center who has observed the same behavior. He said that a workaround might be to isolate the Tesla from other network devices (i.e. using a guest network or Network Isolation).

While I wasn't able to get my Tesla to connect to a guest wireless network at all (not sure why, would fail with no error) I was able to connect it to a second router running a double NAT off my main router. That fixed the problem, so at least there's a workaround.

I have two routers. The Asus RT-AC5300 and a Netgear R6300. The Asus runs as my primary for all of my devices and is my DHCP server. Here are the various things I tried:

• Connect Tesla to Asus primary 2.4ghz SSID: Connects but resets constantly (symptom)
  • Connect Tesla to Netgear acting as bridge for Asus primary 2.4ghz SSID: Connects but resets constantly (symptom)
  • Connect Tesla to Asus Guest SSID isolated from LAN: Fails to connect with no error.
  • Connect Tesla to Netgear in bridge mode for Asus Guest SSID isolated from LAN: Fails to connect with no error.
  • Connect Tesla to Netgear while it's not connected to the internet either as a bridge or over LAN cable (as an experiment): Fails to connect kicking back to password prompt (Tesla won't apparently stay connected to a WiFi network with no internet access).
  • Connect to Netgear running as a "downstream" router from the Asus (double NAT, meaning that the Asus is plugged into my Comcast gateway through i's Internet port and my Netgear is plugged into my Asus through its Internet port, creating an isolated WiFi network with no other devices on it): Works.
Here's the thread I posted on Reddit on this topic:

Tesla Vehicle Wireless Network Software Glitch (Initializing Loop) • r/teslamotors

I suspect that more people might be experiencing this issue but haven't noticed.

Forgot one:
  • Connect Tesla to Netgear while it's not connected to the internet either as a bridge or over LAN cable (as an experiment): Fails to connect kicking back to password prompt (Tesla won't apparently stay connected to a WiFi network with no internet access).

Same symptoms, same problem here with 17.17.17. Ended up with the same solution as well. Another one that worked using the G1100 Verizon FIOS router was enabling the guest network and putting my car on that. Due to the location of my FIOS router bandwidth was terrible though, so I ended up putting another wireless router closer to the car and just going the double NAT route.

Same symptoms, same problem here with 17.17.17. Ended up with the same solution as well. Another one that worked using the G1100 Verizon FIOS router was enabling the guest network and putting my car on that. Due to the location of my FIOS router bandwidth was terrible though, so I ended up putting another wireless router closer to the car and just going the double NAT route.
Fortunately, the double NAT doesn't seem to cause any problems. In my case my car wouldn't connect to my guest network on the Asus at all for some reason. Someone replied on the Reddit thread and said that they saw a Youtube video where someone who had the same problem had narrowed it down to the presence of an DLNA server (a type of media server). I have multiple devices on my network that act as DLNA servers so that's possible.

I could not get my Tesla to connect to my home network WiFi, but it will successfully connect to the Guest WiFi that the exact same access point provides. I did not investigate it too deeply, but figured that I would rather not have my Tesla on my home network anyways. I do not know if they are doing any nefarious, but I keep anything that does not need to access my house's server's and other resources on the guest network where they cannot communicate with any other device on my local network.

Add me to the list. I have contacted my SA Tesla NA and an "Tesla Insider" that has often helped me out.

I doubled up my problem by installing a new Amplifi HD Mesh system at same time as I received my S100D so I have been troubleshooting for a while. Because of the size / layout of my home I need my car to connect to the access point I have in the garage NOT whichever access point it decides to at whim which Amplifi allows you to do. I believe I can create a "guest network" very easily but then I won't able to force my car to connect to the one access point in the garage.

It is so odd that if you have several access points in your that the car will randomly pick one which isn't always the strongest connection.

It's not uncommon to have wireless clients associate to the first access point and SSID that they see and have credentials for and in the process ignore an AP that is much closer with a stronger RSSI. Unfortunately the clients still control where they associate. They are a few tricks and "technologies" that have been implemented in AP's to steer the client to do the more intelligent thing, but it's hit and miss.

I used to have an SSID just for the cars that was only available via an AP in the garage. I've since moved them to the guest network to simplify things. By default, clients on my guest network can only talk to the network gateway (Internet). This is typical for guest networks. This has the nice secondary effect of blocking anyone at Tesla who connects to the car from jumping onto my home network. I don't think they would do that, but they can connect to the car over the VPN that exists between all Teslas and the mothership. Another layer of security is never a bad thing.

@andrewket I have an ongoing dialogue at the moment with Amplifi and hopefully they can force one of their Mesh Points SSID (the one in my garage), to be the only one that the guest network is available on. That would hopefully isolate my car from the rest of the DLNA obsessed network and also make sure the car only connects to that single device. \i/

DLNA definitely IS 100% the case.

We have an XBox - Dish Hopper - 6 Dish Joeys - WD Cloud Server - Wondow pc - whole house music server w/ automation - D-Link file server.....somewhere in there is probably 1 or more culprits. Everything EXCEPT my car plays nicely together.

Set up a separate guest network today and lo and behold....like magic my car stays connected rock solid 54MBs 92% with not re-initializing or errors.

My only issue now is the car will sometimes connect to any random access point in our home rather then the one I have dedicated for it in the garage. Before I could I hide the ID’s and force it to connect to the strongest. Now it mostly connects to it but will randomly connect to one much further away with a much weaker connection. -:/. Oh well one problem and at least now my car WILL connect and stay connected.

Reactions: MP3Mike
same here.. nothing worked finally put 2nd router in garage with internet over coax to upstairs and it is good. but again running double nat that worries. me.. noone seen issues with this.. I can use on of my static ips and get rid of the double nat if need be.