Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Vehicles Will Drop Off Owners, Park Themselves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla plans to roll out a “reverse smart summon” that would enable vehicles to drop off owners and park without a driver. 

The automaker currently provides a feature for the vehicle to leave a parking space and find the owner, but the expanded feature would eliminate the need for an owner to search for parking or their misplaced parked car.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk previously hinted that the feature was in development and could be included in an Autopilot updated this year. He confirmed on Twitter that “auto park” will be included in new software for cars equipped with full-self-driving later this year.

Tesla has a number of new features coming to Autopilot this year as the company continues to march toward full-self-driving. Earlier this month, Musk said Tesla vehicles using Autopilot will be able to detect traffic lights and stop signs. Tesla is currently testing the feature with Early Access members.

Image: Tesla

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: alcibiades
If it works as well as Smart Summon, it will text me from the third town over telling me it still can't find a spot.

It will just ring the most annoying ringtone on your phone constantly at max volume until you come park it yourself. And if you ignore the ring, park in the 1st no-parking tow away zone to teach you a lesson. It does have AI and it's feelings are easily hurt.

It will just ring the most annoying ringtone on your phone constantly at max volume until you come park it yourself. And if you ignore the ring, park in the 1st no-parking tow away zone to teach you a lesson. It does have AI and it's feelings are easily hurt.

You're saying it's the intelligence that's artificial, but the feelings are real? This sounds familiar.

Reactions: jboy210
They haven’t really delivered on almost any one of the promises so far, so i’m not that hopeful on this one either. I guess not even Elon can win every battle, but just the ones he chooses to focus on (rockets).

He hasn't made any promises. He just tells people what he wants to do, and they interpret that as a promise. It isn't. If he didn't aim higher than anyone else, though, we wouldn't have electric cars this good.

If he had only focused on rockets, we wouldn't have Fremont or Gigafactory. Personally I like my new Model S and my wifey's 3, especially since I don't take rockets very often.

• Funny
Reactions: Carnage- and NHK X
He hasn't made any promises. He just tells people what he wants to do, and they interpret that as a promise. It isn't. If he didn't aim higher than anyone else, though, we wouldn't have electric cars this good.

Maybe there is some truth in this, but what is a promise to you if not a signed piece of paper (your purchase contract) that says your car will have something named ’full self driving’?

Unless the feature is FCS, you are just a beta tester. And why would I want to be liable using a feature that Tesla would not guarantee to not damage properties and/or hurt lives?

With autopilot, you can override. How do you override a feature that you are not in sight of? Does that mean Tesla will Livestream dashcam mode on your phone to override?