Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: very baby friendly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CONGRATS. Yes the MS is an awesome car to keep your baby girls (wife & daughter) safe. Here is a profound thought: Your little girl may never know what an Internal Combustion Engine powered vehicle is. Think about that for a moment and you suddenly realize you are riding history.
We have a MS and Volt (that hasn't used gas since April). My 3 YO girl one day was making the "VROOM VROOM" sound simulating a car. My wife and I assumed she learned it at daycare, as our cars don't do that.

You'll want to check out the list of strollers that fit in the frunk:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/20133-List-of-Strollers-that-Fit-in-Frunk

With the help of forum members, I've been maintaining the list. With the stroller in the frunk, you will have full use of the rear trunk and rear facing seats. I also added my thoughts about how family/baby-friendly the car has been for us in post #9 in that thread. Having the AC or heater running without worrying about exhaust fumes or keeping an engine running is great for us because our daughter manages to always fall asleep right before we arrive at our destination.

The rear jump seats do not require boosters; in fact, you are specifically not permitted to use a booster.

See the relevant page from the manual, attached.

But you don't need a booster, since they are in essence rear-facing boosters already.

Both my 7 and 2 (nearly 3) year old meet the size and weight requirements for the boosters, and both love riding back there.

This is wonderful, thank you very much! I will check with Tesla to make sure they are federally approved as a child restraint system (I'm assuming they are) and we will be good to go.

This is wonderful, thank you very much! I will check with Tesla to make sure they are federally approved as a child restraint system (I'm assuming they are) and we will be good to go.

they are federally approved as a child restraint system and in fact are actually a 5 point harness. So even safer than a booster seat. Our fire stations battalion chief said that it's he safest place for the kids in the MS once they come out of their child seats vs being in a booster seat.

I didn't think I could love anything more than my wife & my MS. But the moment my daughter was born yesterday, I fell in love again & momentarily forgot about the car. Today I picked up my babies (wife & daugter) with my other baby (MS), and realized what a perfect car it is to own if you have a baby. The car seat latches were placed well, very reacheable, & easy to clip on. I was able to preheat my car so it's toasty before putting my baby in it. The ride was so smooth & quiet that my fussy newborn slept all the way home without making a peep (as opposed to when we were in the post partum room where she cried every time we put her down). And just knowing it's one of the safest cars out there to be transporting her relaxed me even more, after the exhausting 1st night we spent. Oh, and all the space of the MS is great packing baby stuff, of course =)

Congratulations on both your babies. I have a 9 and 2 year old and feel very comfortable that they are in the safest car around. We use our S for everything, including trips, errands and daily driving. Put on >15,000 miles in 8 months. My kids love the S!

Congratulatins!!!! So happy for you!!!

Congratulations!

Congrats! What's her name? - the baby's, not the car's. :smile:

Congratulations!

Congrats! Completely agree. Model S is the almost the perfect family car (I'd say perfect if they could just figure out how to give us some real cupholders in the back!). The pushbutton reading light provides hours of entertainment for toddlers. ;)

Congrats! Not a baby anymore but, my 7-yr-old son loves riding in the MS; he was telling my wife the other day - as she was ferrying him around for classes in her 5-yr-old Mini Cooper - that she probably needs a new car like dad's :)

Not sure though about the seat buckles as kids get older and need sturdier and wider booster seats. The buckles are recessed (and not dangling out) and make it quite hard for atleast my son to latch the belt in. With wider boosters that are permanently anchored in and have 5-point harnesses, there's little room for adults to sit next to the booster in the back and it's very hard for them to latch themselves in too.

Congrats on the baby!

Congratulations! I remember that day, and it seems almost like it was just last year, but now my oldest is driving! They grow up fast so treasure each moment.

CONGRATS. Yes the MS is an awesome car to keep your baby girls (wife & daughter) safe. Here is a profound thought: Your little girl may never know what an Internal Combustion Engine powered vehicle is. Think about that for a moment and you suddenly realize you are riding history.

Congratulations but.....

... I have to disagree a bit. The Model S is quite bad for babies. The ride is so quiet that babies sleep much worse compared to a petrol car where the humming noise of the engine buts them to sleep in no time. In the model S however, no such humming therefore baby doesn't sleep as well.

Congratulations on both your babies. I have a 9 and 2 year old and feel very comfortable that they are in the safest car around. We use our S for everything, including trips, errands and daily driving. Put on >15,000 miles in 8 months. My kids love the S!

Thank -you all for the congratulations. She is so precious with her little hands & feet, and tiny puckering mouth when she wants to be fed. I love her !

@Krugerrand: I wanted to name her Kristin, but my wife liked Olivia better, so we went with Olivia. Instead I named my MS Kristin as a consolation haha =)

@commasign: I'm still debating whether I like the idea of cup holders in the back. I'm not sure I can trust the MS's upholstery to a toddler or child with a cup full of liquid lol =) But I am glad the lighting in the MS is all LED, so they don't burn out easily when the push button reading lights becomes my daughter's toy hehe.

@gg_got_a_tesla: hey, try these out; I plan to use these with the convertible booster once my daughter gets old enough:

Amazon.com: 2013 Tesla S (Front and Rear Seats) Seat Belt Extender / Seatbelt Extension - Safety Certified - #41302-13: Automotive

@NoMoGas: That is a beautiful thought.....no carbon monoxide or green house gas emissions =)

@Aussie: maybe someone can invent a vibrating baby car seat for the MS, I looked at my baby while at the stop light & noticed her staring through the pano admiring the colors of the trees & skys. So she gets to enjoy something else, even if the motor hum of an ICE is gone.

The all-weather floor mats have been brilliant and if you don't have them, I'd get them as they have handled spills and various baby/kid accidents.

If not for the Model S, we most likely would have bought a Honda Odyssey even though I wanted an A7. The Model S is so much better in every way. We've taken two trips from Seattle to LA and have nearly 20K miles all worry free.

I was looking at the all weather floor mats, but $200 seemed like a bit much for floor mats, and living in Southern California, I can count the number of days it rains annually on two hands. I figure I could use a few towels and lay them on the ground and seats until my daughter outgrows the pooping & peeing stage.

We were considering the Pilot, and I wanted a Panamera, but after test driving all 3, I'm really glad we went with the MS.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/20133-List-of-Strollers-that-Fit-in-Frunk

I have the Baby Jogger City Select. Im glad its on your frunk list. Was reading your thread about how the newer MS's have smaller frunks. Is that true, and does the list reflect the new size, or is it based on the old size? I have yet to put my stroller in the frunk. Will have to give it a go.

I agree. I'm the father of 4 boys - aged 13, 7, 5, and 1. My Model S arrived 4 days before my youngest son. We can take Model S where no other sedan can take a family of 6, traveling with all the accompanying elements. It has replaced my Chevy Suburban for a lifetime fuel savings of about $40k or so. The kids love it.

Model X will replace our Chevy Traverse next year. By then, Supercharging will be pervasive enough that we can make the trips we need to make.

I have the Baby Jogger City Select. Im glad its on your frunk list. Was reading your thread about how the newer MS's have smaller frunks. Is that true, and does the list reflect the new size, or is it based on the old size? I have yet to put my stroller in the frunk. Will have to give it a go.

Yes, cars after VIN P21270 will have a shorter (measured from the front to rear) frunk. The cubby-hole is only a few inches shorter, so it should not affect most strollers on the list. I've noted any differences I'm aware of in the comment column, but I don't have information on every stroller. The City Select was entered before the frunk change, so when you get a chance, please try it when you get a chance and I'll update the table to confirm that it does fit.

Congratulations but.....

... I have to disagree a bit. The Model S is quite bad for babies. The ride is so quiet that babies sleep much worse compared to a petrol car where the humming noise of the engine buts them to sleep in no time. In the model S however, no such humming therefore baby doesn't sleep as well.

I must say, when I read this post, I literally laughed out loud. It is so contrary to our experience with our MS when we have not one, but two babies who have spent virtually their entire driving lives in the MS.

Our twins sleep just fine in the MS and don't sleep any better when we have to take them in our Highlander, which fortunately isn't very often. I can't count the number of times that we got the twins in their car seats when they were in meltdown mode or near meltdown mode and, within a couple of minutes after getting mobile in the MS, they were content as can be and in most cases fast asleep. For them and I believe most babies after talking with many other parents, it's the motion of the car that matters the most and not the sound of the engine.

Congratulations but.....

I must say, when I read this post, I literally laughed out loud. It is so contrary to our experience with our MS when we have not one, but two babies who have spent virtually their entire driving lives in the MS.

Our twins sleep just fine in the MS and don't sleep any better when we have to take them in our Highlander, which fortunately isn't very often. I can't count the number of times that we got the twins in their car seats when they were in meltdown mode or near meltdown mode and, within a couple of minutes after getting mobile in the MS, they were content as can be and in most cases fast asleep. For them and I believe most babies after talking with many other parents, it's the motion of the car that matters the most and not the sound of the engine.

I have a slightly mixed view. Yes, the vibration and rumble from the engine definitely helps most babies sleep, but when the car is in motion, that advantage mostly goes away, as road noise and road vibration is much more significant. Where the Model S really shines is when you are about to arrive at your destination. When you shut-off an engine, the chance of the baby waking is relatively high. An electric car, on the other hand, has no abrupt change in sound & vibration when "turning off". We can pull into the garage, shut the garage door, and sit in the car without my daughter ever waking-up. In fact, we do this at least once a week.

I have a slightly mixed view. Yes, the vibration and rumble from the engine definitely helps most babies sleep, but when the car is in motion, that advantage mostly goes away, as road noise and road vibration is much more significant. Where the Model S really shines is when you are about to arrive at your destination. When you shut-off an engine, the chance of the baby waking is relatively high. An electric car, on the other hand, has no abrupt change in sound & vibration when "turning off". We can pull into the garage, shut the garage door, and sit in the car without my daughter ever waking-up. In fact, we do this at least once a week.

We have had the same experience. We have learned to exit the car and shut our doors gently without waking the babies, although if one of them is sleeping and the other isn't, opening one of the rear doors with its pressure sound can sometimes wake the other up.