Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, that is helpful, though I think the max total is $1,100, if NG draws summer and winter. Wouldn't the worst case power cost would be $1/kWh, assuming that they used a full sixty events in the summer, as it might be closer to $60/kWh if NG did it only once? Or am I missing something?
You aren’t missing anything. It’s ridiculously unclear. Tesla’s own page says that the max earning per year would be $700 now, it used to be a higher number but never took a screenshot. National Grid says max would be $1,100 ($1,375 - 20% Tesla cut) but I can’t make the math work to match either of those based on the other facts of the program…

I’m just expecting to get around $1k per Powerwall. And if after the first year I’m not happy with it, I’ll unenroll.

Reactions: BGbreeder
You aren’t missing anything. It’s ridiculously unclear. Tesla’s own page says that the max earning per year would be $700 now, it used to be a higher number but never took a screenshot. National Grid says max would be $1,100 ($1,375 - 20% Tesla cut) but I can’t make the math work to match either of those based on the other facts of the program…

I’m just expecting to get around $1k per Powerwall. And if after the first year I’m not happy with it, I’ll unenroll.
Just a guess that Tesla might be trying to be conservative and assume both a ~20% reserve and the possibility that no solar is generated during the event, which would result in the PWs hitting their reserve in about 2 hours (where events can run 3 hours.) That would put you in the $700-800 range (depending on the exact reserve level Tesla is setting and any degradation.)

I hope there are additional incentives as well, like discounts on additional powerwalls. I'd love to be able to add a couple more to our current set up.

I don't think discounts on Powerwalls are likely in the near term, considering that Tesla appears to be supply-constrained at this point (they have more orders than they can fill).

Bruce.

Reactions: jboy210
I don't think discounts on Powerwalls are likely in the near term, considering that Tesla appears to be supply-constrained at this point (they have more orders than they can fill).

Bruce.
Would it be worth it to Tesla to bump PW orders for the Virtual Power Plant to the head of the line?

How many would sign up for Virtual Power Plant if it bumped your PW order to the head of the line?

Would it be worth it to Tesla to bump PW orders for the Virtual Power Plant to the head of the line?

How many would sign up for Virtual Power Plant if it bumped your PW order to the head of the line?
I’ve felt since last year when my Powerwalls arrived rather quickly that Tesla is giving priority to deliveries that also earn them the extra income stream from VPP. But I don’t have much other than my own and others’ circumstantial evidences to base this theory off of.

I know it's still early on and there's no information out but does anyone know if VPP credits/payments from other trials are per powerwall or per home? I'm really excited to be part of this program because I think the benefits are going to be obvious for owners and for the community. This will also allow Tesla to tap into the trillion dollar peaker plant market. So excited to be any part of it. Even if I only end up with bragging rights for helping lead the divestment from fossil fuels.

Reactions: EinSV
From the way they worded the announcement, my expectation is the only possible financial benefit during the test phase is from exporting more power during the peak rate period. That'd be better than nothing for net consumers, but nothing particularly exciting. If the VPP could be called to produce energy during non-peak periods, it could theoretically even result in a loss.

I have three power walls, which would give me about 20 kWh of power storage. There is no way this would support my house more than a day or two, much less any neighbors, and that's if I turn off nearly everything and never charge my cars.

It seems people don't realize just how much energy their houses and lifestyles use. I live in a 400 sq ft house, run mainly a refrigerator and a small AC, and I'd bet my usage is well over 7 kWh per day. More like 13, and that DOES NOT include charging the cars.

20 kWh is only a fifth of what my car uses, and we also have a 3. When our power was out last time, for a month, the solar and PWs were not able to keep things running. Seems the PWs don't work when the grid is down. But even if they did, one would have to cut usage a bunch.