Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you been getting the black bill? Powerwalls put you on the NEMPS tariff and that generates the 10+ black bills.
no black bills ... they were never registered so PGE doesn't know they are here ... but since i applied for VPP and was turned downed and called PGE ( gave them the install date 07/21) = they now know i have them installed and they sent a notice stating i do NOT have permission to operate (PTO) ..

Has anyone tried contacting PGE to get their VPP application approved? The number Tesla lists to call is just the main number and was wondering if someone had already gone through the process of what to tell PGE.
Yes , i called them because they gave me a rule 21 interconnection as reason for denial for VPP = Tesla did NOT register PW's with them .. week after speaking to PGE i received a YOU do not have permission to operate PW's ....

Yes , i called them because they gave me a rule 21 interconnection as reason for denial for VPP = Tesla did NOT register PW's with them .. week after speaking to PGE i received a YOU do not have permission to operate PW's ....
Yes, same here. Called PG&E to see why I was denied and they had no record of my Powerwall's installed in February 2020. They told me to contact Tesla about getting a Rule 21 interconnection agreement completed and I got bounced around a bit via their chat support and then told that the person who has knowledge was not in and that they'd get back to me. Meanwhile, a couple of hours later, I got a Rule 21 interconnection agreement from PG&E to sign. Waited a couple of days to hear back from Tesla but never did, so I went ahead and signed the agreement.

I saw also that the agreement stated I could not operate the Powerwalls without explict permission from PG&E. Of course they have been operating since they were installed a couple of years ago.

I suppose I could now trying signing up for the Tesla Virtual Power Plant but I'm having second thoughts as I like how my system usually manages 100% self-powered everyday during the warm (no heat pump usage) and sunny months (plenty of solar). The VPP would of course drain the Powerwalls down to my reserve in the evening when it kicks in.

finally got Permission to operate from PGE .. and was rejected for VPP because PGE sends over the PTO approval to the VPP unit on the 1st of each month so i'll apply again next week .... past 3 weeks it was very difficult to reach Tesla energy .. it's pretty much chat and recorded info for specific problems and "tesla didn't register my PW's is NOT to be found "... the chat person didn't know about the Calif PGE/Tesla VPP - they told me Tesla VPP stop accepting a year ago , and they could send me a app to apply to register my PW's ... i ended up calling the number for when your power walls are not working .. the tech there said she knew a person in another dept and she would contact them to see if they could help and would get back to me next day ... well next day i received from Tesla the PW application via DocuSign ( everything filled out including our solar panel install (not a tesla install) from 2017) to PG&E and i just had to sign ... received PGE approval 4 days later ... i hate to say i can't remember her name and i would like to thank her for speaking to the other dept...

I suppose I could now trying signing up for the Tesla Virtual Power Plant but I'm having second thoughts as I like how my system usually manages 100% self-powered everyday during the warm (no heat pump usage) and sunny months (plenty of solar). The VPP would of course drain the Powerwalls down to my reserve in the evening when it kicks in.
Yes, that would happen and you would be importing electricity afterwards, but that will be more than offset by the $2.00/kWh for the exports during the event. In your case you would need to decide if you want to minimize your imports or if you want to maximum the cost benefit of your system.

Reactions: bmah

You would always have the ability to opt-out of any VPP event, or unenroll yourself if you get tired of doing that. So there's really not much if anything to lose by signing up. That's at least according to the documentation, because so far there haven't been any VPP events in 2022. If it's anything like the VPP trial last year (which I participated in), VPP events are for exceptional, not routine circumstances.

Bruce.

FWIW my PTO was approved but somehow my records never made it in the VPP system so I was denied twice. Got to speak to someone at the VPP hotline and told them I had an agreement and a PTO from PG&E. So I emailed both to them and they acknowledge it. Said it would take a bit of time to get the updates into the system. Contacted them again today after two weeks and they stated they have not gotten the update in place yet. 🤢 🤢

You would always have the ability to opt-out of any VPP event, or unenroll yourself if you get tired of doing that. So there's really not much if anything to lose by signing up. That's at least according to the documentation, because so far there haven't been any VPP events in 2022. If it's anything like the VPP trial last year (which I participated in), VPP events are for exceptional, not routine circumstances.

Bruce.
Yeah, it never triggered for me last year while I was enrolled in the old system.

Looks like PGE is rolling their own version of this, of course you don't need a PW to participate as you just need to lower usage. Enabling Grid Export would basically be the same thing as Tesla's program except you would be compensated directly through bill credits.

SCE has the same program that I enrolled in earlier this year. No events yet. It isn't clear to me if I am normally a net exporter during peak and export more during an event if I will still get a credit for reduced consumption. Also does the credit apply to the base monthly charges of the bill and not the energy section which I will already be net negative for the year.

Looks like PGE is rolling their own version of this, of course you don't need a PW to participate as you just need to lower usage. Enabling Grid Export would basically be the same thing as Tesla's program except you would be compensated directly through bill credits.

I don't see how you can game this with Powerwalls when you don't have the ability to discharge to the grid at will. It's kinda like gaming OhmConnect. You have to establish a baseline usage profile so that you can purposely deviate during the OhmHours or other "Event Days" in PG&E parlance. The Tesla VPP automatically discharges your batteries to the grid during the designated event hours. During non-event hours, you export solar during Peak and power your house from battery.

This is how PG&E describes how they calculate your reimbursement:
The amount of energy you used during an event is compared against the amount of energy you used on recent, similar, non-event days during the same time period to determine the amount of energy you saved.

To calculate your expected energy usage, we identify the 10 previous weekdays (if the event is on a weekday) or the 5 previous weekend days or holidays (if the event is on a weekend or holiday). Within those days, we choose the 5 days with the highest energy usage for a weekday event or the 3 days with the highest energy usage for a weekend or holiday event. Only the days that did not experience an event or power outage are considered. We calculate your average energy usage for a weekday event or the weighted average for a weekend or holiday event. Lastly, an adjustment is made to allow for weather conditions based on your energy usage during the hours before and after the event compared to the same hours on the selected similar days.

The difference between your expected energy usage and your actual energy usage during the event is what you will be paid for, applied as a yearly credit to your bill.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
So are they looking behind the meter? I wonder because during peak I am always a net provider. And I also curtail my usage to the minimum during that period too.

But it does sound like they are looking at the "days" energy load, which is a totally different story for me. I can be an energy hog if I drive the day before and/or I do a lot of off peak heating or cooling.

So are they looking behind the meter? I wonder because during peak I am always a net provider. And I also curtail my usage to the minimum during that period too.

But it does sound like they are looking at the "days" energy load, which is a totally different story for me. I can be an energy hog if I drive the day before and/or I do a lot of off peak heating or cooling.
They only care about the 4-9pm peak period, so it shouldn't matter how much you normally use outside of those hours and they shouldn't care how much you use outside of those hours on Event Days either.

They only care about the 4-9pm peak period, so it shouldn't matter how much you normally use outside of those hours and they shouldn't care how much you use outside of those hours on Event Days either.
I wonder why Tesla estimated I would make $180 if I signed up for this when I have no load during that time, ever?

I guess I will sign up and see what happens (if PG&E ever straightens out my paperwork for this), but from the info you posted, I expect nothing.

I don't see how you can game this with Powerwalls when you don't have the ability to discharge to the grid at will. It's kinda like gaming OhmConnect. You have to establish a baseline usage profile so that you can purposely deviate during the OhmHours or other "Event Days" in PG&E parlance. The Tesla VPP automatically discharges your batteries to the grid during the designated event hours. During non-event hours, you export solar during Peak and power your house from battery.

This is how PG&E describes how they calculate your reimbursement:
I'm normally in self powered mode and a net exporter of a few kWh during peak although that is decreasing with the shorter days. I was imagining on an event day I would change to time based control with export everything and could export ~ 10kWh. What I don't know is whether the program would consider an increase in exports as a usage reduction.

I have a 12.5 kW micro inverter system and am looking at 1 Powerwall or another brand (we rarely have outages) to arbitrage my NEM 1.
Would installing any battery and activating VPP knock me out of NEM1?
Could I install the Tesla Powerwall to my Enphase Micro inverter system?
Thanks for any info and input!
No, doesn’t affect your NEM status. PG&E wants this energy for the grid

• Informative
Reactions: Nosken
Grid event scheduled for tomorrow in my area (PG&E near Fresno).
App says charging will start at 5 AM
Discharging at 6 PM - 9 PM
I got the same notification, but nothing about charging. Are you sure about that? Should be an event start at 5:00am and the PW starts to discharge.

I have my reserve set to 75%, but I'll drop it down to 5% after Peak is over so I can export as much as possible.