Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DCF9AD9D-8C31-44E0-9D0C-7443BAAD6C14.png

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Ok, I see the same when I clicked on the event (didn't realize that was a thing). VPP never mentioned forced charging from the grid, so I hope that isn't really happening.

I can understand it being a way to help out the grid to take extra load when the grid doesn't need it, but that wasn't part of the program description.

I got the same notification, but nothing about charging. Are you sure about that? Should be an event start at 5:00am and the PW starts to discharge.

I have my reserve set to 75%, but I'll drop it down to 5% after Peak is over so I can export as much as possible.
The exporting will be from 6 - 9 PM
The event allows our systems to charge from the grid in the morning to make sure we are at 100% when peak starts.

I am kind of glad they could never sign me up for this, or at least if I did I would have to opt out for the event. My 2 PWs charged to 100% before the 2PM peak today and I have drained them down to the reserve of 20% with 10 minutes to go in peak. I have tuned my load about as much as I can to match my PW capacity. Does not help that at 105* the solar efficiency takes a pretty big hit.

Ok, I see the same when I clicked on the event (didn't realize that was a thing). VPP never mentioned forced charging from the grid, so I hope that isn't really happening.

I can understand it being a way to help out the grid to take extra load when the grid doesn't need it, but that wasn't part of the program description.
From what I gather based on the threads on the Connected Solutions program, it is all solar that goes to the Powerwall, not necessarily grid charging. For those on self-consumption this means that they will pull more from the grid, but those on TBC will not necessarily notice a difference. I guess it's possible it'll pull from the grid if it doesn't think the Powerwalls will fill from solar.

But, is this is a forced charge from the grid like when Stormwatch is enabled? I don't want or need charge from the grid to get to 100%.
Ok, no forced charging from the grid for me. Powerwalls were at 75% at 5:00am and nothing happened, now starting to charge from solar after sunrise.

Edit: Looking at this a bit more closely it appears that all of my solar generation is going to the Powerwalls and the house is coming from the grid which isn't normal behavior for me time/cost setup. Solar should be going to the house first until there is excess which then charges the Powerwalls.

Last edited:
Maybe only PW without Solar is charging from grid but pulling a good amount.
I'm seeing something different. My solar is recharging the Powerwalls with the house load coming from the grid (not normal behavior for me) and the same screen is showing the house load of 0.47kW. I think that total is some of all of our grid imports.

Edit: As my solar generation increases to more than my house load, the number reported on the VPP matches my solar output going to the Powerwalls and not the smaller import from the grid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-065932_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-065932_Tesla.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20220817-071156_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-071156_Tesla.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20220817-071306_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-071306_Tesla.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: schettj
I'm seeing something different. My solar is recharging the Powerwalls with the house load coming from the grid (not normal behavior for me) and the same screen is showing the house load of 0.47kW. I think that total is some of all of our grid imports.

Edit: As my solar generation increases to more than my house load, the number reported on the VPP matches my solar output going to the Powerwalls and not the smaller import from the grid.
The VPP screen is showing the amount of solar that is going to my Powerwalls but this IS typical behavior for me on Time-Based Control with my rate plan entered (no edits). I was expecting to be allowed to grid charge to fill the Powerwalls; that would have shifted more of my solar to export in the afternoon in off peak (prior to 4 pm). Either way I'll enter the peak period with 100% charge and will be interested to see how the system behaves from 4 pm - 6 pm and when the discharge event starts.

Last edited:
The VPP screen is showing the amount of solar that is going to my Powerwalls but this IS typical behavior for me on Time-Based Control with my rate plan entered (no edits). I was expecting to be allowed to grid charge to fill the Powerwalls; that would have shifted more of my solar to export in the afternoon in off peak (prior to 4 pm). Either way I'll enter the peak period with 100% charge and will be interested to see how the system behaves from 4 pm - 6 pm when the discharge event starts.
As my solar generation has increased it has become clear that the VPP screen is showing the import/export rate of the Powerwalls and calling that the grid.

Right now the recharge import amounts are coming from our solar. When the discharge happens at 6:00pm I expect that will be the raw export rate from the Powerwalls and not the net amount going to the grid.

The VPP screen is showing the amount of solar that is going to my Powerwalls but this IS typical behavior for me on Time-Based Control with my rate plan entered (no edits). I was expecting to be allowed to grid charge to fill the Powerwalls; that would have shifted more of my solar to export in the afternoon in off peak (prior to 4 pm). Either way I'll enter the peak period with 100% charge and will be interested to see how the system behaves from 4 pm - 6 pm and when the discharge event starts.
Yes, no grid charging here either. We are normally in self powered mode, and as of 5am, the grid is supplying the house, with the solar now charging the Powerwalls.

All the best,

BG

My first VPP event today, on PG&E in Oakland. My single PowerWall charged from the grid this morning starting at 5 AM. 5kW charge rate from 20% to 100%. I do have Grid Charging enabled, so that may explain why mine charged and others' didn't. Normaly, it only grid charges later on, when it sees it is not getting enough solar to make 100% by 3 pm when the rate goes up.

If anyone in Calif has been through a VPP event, I have a question. Do I need to disable Export Everything to prevent it from it's usual behavior of discharging to the grid earlier in the peak period than the 6 pm the VPP notice says it will do so today. Yesterday, for example, it was down to 40% by 6 pm, down from 100% at 3.

Normal, Non VPP behavior is to discharge during peak and partial peak to power the house and let all solar export for credit. And during peak to discharge at 5kW down to enough to cover the house till 9 when peak ends.

Ideal VPP behavior would seem to be different because the reimbursement is higher for VPP exports. So perhaps it should not discharge prior the the 6 pm VPP discharge time, and then dump at 6 down to the reserve.

So, does anyone know what VPP behavior I should expect, or if I should adjust my setting to maximize VPP credit?

Thanks, SW

My first VPP event today, on PG&E in Oakland. My single PowerWall charged from the grid this morning starting at 5 AM. 5kW charge rate from 20% to 100%. I do have Grid Charging enabled, so that may explain why mine charged and others' didn't. Normaly, it only grid charges later on, when it sees it is not getting enough solar to make 100% by 3 pm when the rate goes up.

If anyone in Calif has been through a VPP event, I have a question. Do I need to disable Export Everything to prevent it from it's usual behavior of discharging to the grid earlier in the peak period than the 6 pm the VPP notice says it will do so today. Yesterday, for example, it was down to 40% by 6 pm, down from 100% at 3.

Normal, Non VPP behavior is to discharge during peak and partial peak to power the house and let all solar export for credit. And during peak to discharge at 5kW down to enough to cover the house till 9 when peak ends.

Ideal VPP behavior would seem to be different because the reimbursement is higher for VPP exports. So perhaps it should not discharge prior the the 6 pm VPP discharge time, and then dump at 6 down to the reserve.

So, does anyone know what VPP behavior I should expect, or if I should adjust my setting to maximize VPP credit?

Thanks, SW
This is the first Flex Alert in California, so I suspect your best bet is to check the discussions in the Connected Solutions thread. I know there were some people who had issues and were experimenting with the export settings. Connected Solutions is a little different than the PG&E version, but I think the basic run modes should be similar.