Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charging events, and Tesla VPP, are both Demand Response. You can look at California to see their plan. This isn't in the face of impending blackout. A predicted rolling blackout would actually trigger StormWatch, and allow your Powerwall to charge from the grid.

This VPP is to relieve the grid, usually to avoid energy import from neighboring states at higher prices, or starting up power plants that aren't clean, are expensive to operate and maintain. The kWh price of a plant that needs to fire up hours before the predicted demand, run during the demand, and then shut down and receive maintenance, could exceed the $2/kWh mentioned in the governor's note.
Being able to trigger Demand Response when it's needed, available to turn on and off instantly, is much easier to manage on the grid. Those segments were 15 minutes, as I recall, and JuiceNet responded in two hour blocks. That might become more adjustable within VPP.
A lot of generation units are not scalable. They generate a mW or nothing. Tesla VPP could be incredibly granular, supplying a few watts exactly in the neighborhood where it's needed for the time period when it's needed.

None of this is being done out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all about the money, and the whimsical, but somewhat predictable, consumer usage, minute by minute. Toss in a tiny bit of "Green" as justification for a new plan, and it can happen.

Tesla VPP says they are going to manage this for the common good, so PG&E probably won't be paying $2/kWh. Individual homeowners are initially going to receive only whatever the NEM rates are, probably Peak Rates, like I am supplying PV energy until the sun goes down. The batteries could supply that later in the evening. The AI behind Powerwalls is massive, and many interesting things can happen.

VPP as peaker plant replacement is certainly the pitch to PoCo's but as a ratepayer I get bombarded by ads from VPP players like OhmConnect that only talk about preventing blackout and get paid doing it. When I look into it there are many complaints about OhmConnect. So, VPP still sounds like a theoretical idea that looks great on paper but not so much in practice so far.

So, does this mean that Tesla will or could collect from our battery but not us?
Tesla is the Power Plant. All of our batteries comprise the Virtual Power Plant.
In Massachusetts it seems that the end user can reap substantial monetary rewards. I saw one video that claimed he had received $2000 in one year, and that wasn't even the point of the video.
In California, Elon Musk says "the Tesla Virtual Power Plant is a public good program to support the California grid, and there is no compensation for Tesla or customers." That is for the higher Demand Response reimbursement. "Tesla expects most events this summer to occur during typical peak hours for many time-of-use rate plans. Participating in the event will shift energy exports to periods that are later in the day compared to typical exports. If you are eligible for compensation under a NEM program, you may earn different credit for exporting at different times."

To answer your question, in California, I don't think you will see the "$2/kWh" rate, but you will see the NEM credit.
I currently push energy back to the grid when solar PV is producing while using my battery to power the house during Peak times. The VPP would let me push energy to the grid, probably later in peak time when my PV is not generating, and collect Peak NEM rates.

Reactions: Skryll
VPP as peaker plant replacement is certainly the pitch to PoCo's but as a ratepayer I get bombarded by ads from VPP players like OhmConnect that only talk about preventing blackout and get paid doing it. When I look into it there are many complaints about OhmConnect. So, VPP still sounds like a theoretical idea that looks great on paper but not so much in practice so far.

I think OhmConnect is collecting the Demand Response dollars and giving you nothing but the thermostat that they need to control your AC.
They aren't a VPP. They are a consumer able to shift demand, just like JuiceNet.

I think OhmConnect is collecting the Demand Response dollars and giving you nothing but the thermostat that they need to control your AC.
They aren't a VPP. They are a consumer able to shift demand, just like JuiceNet.

OhmConnect not VPP? You should tell them that:

OhmConnect not VPP? You should tell them that:

A little buzzword marketing fluff.
They don't produce any energy. They are not a Power Plant. They are a proxy to a large consumer base, able to shift their load.
I would say that in California, they would be a "Proxy demand resource - load shift resource (PDR-LSR)".

They are trying to raise funds.

"We’re just a peaker power plant, except instead of being a physical thing, we’re a network of homes and their devices," DeVries told GTM. "This is the cheapest, fastest and most environmentally conscious way to get that supply."
followed by
"Companies including Sunrun have pioneered a similar concept, linking up homes with solar and batteries into a virtual power plant that can respond to grid-capacity needs. "

One of them is producing energy that can be applied to the grid, the other is shifting load, and calling it supplying.
"OhmConnect will dispatch the fleet of connected devices to deliver capacity to the grid." I'm at a loss what capacity they are delivering. if I wanted to word that more cleverly I might say "return capacity to the grid", and that would even be a stretch.

OhmConnect are a DRP (Demand Response Participant). They're basically a virtual power plant but they do pay participants. Over the last 4 years I've received 1099s from them in total amount > $12,000. Virtually all of that was from reducing my use during OhmHours. Although the model has changed it's still to earn decent cash and the program is 100% free.

Reactions: ClarDold
We've been signed up for the California VPP beta since July. After upgrading to app version 4.0.1, we were asked to reconfirm our enrollment in the program, which has since been rebranded "Tesla & PG&E Virtual Power Plant Beta." There is new info in the app regarding the program and an updated support page. The biggest updates are that we will receive $1 for every additional kWh we provide during an "event," and that there will at least 20 hours of events in 2021.

Something interesting is that the support page states that compensation depends on number of Powerwalls, Backup Reserve setting, size of the solar system, and "Your Powerwall's typical behavior, since the program only pays for incremental kWh excluding the energy that your Powerwall would have delivered in the absence of an event." Sounds like the Self-Powered mode will likely result in the greatest compensation. Also, during the reconfirmation process we had to choose to prioritize either the VPP program or Storm Watch.

IMG_1519.jpeg

After upgrading to app version 4.0.1,
My Android is still at 21.20.6, and I don't see a change in my "VPP Beta", but I did notice a new "Pair Phone to Powerwall", part of testing "off-grid", which required toggling the Powerwall power switch.
I am served by PG&E, but billed through Sonoma Clean Power.

Weird. The help screen shows 21.12.2 -> 3.10.14 -> 4.0.0.
I don't see the 4.0.0 features, but I do see the 3.10.4 VPP.
Upon further review... the opening screen says 21.20.6, but Settings says 3.10.14.

Last edited:
Interesting. I just upgraded to app version 4.0.1, and I still have the old Tesla Virtual Power Plant (beta) option. It sounds like the newer program is compensated relative to a baseline similar to demand reduction programs like OhmConnect. I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

Reactions: Skryll
I'm totally not clear how this program works. If I enable it in the app, who pays me the $1 for each kwh that gets put onto the grid from my system during an event. If it happens during peak time solar production, do I only get paid the extra for discharge from the powerwalls or from solar as well? Does Tesla's software make it so that during an event I'd self consume solar while my powerwall discharges to the grid or does it not count unless you're also sending all your solar to the grid first? What if your own usage is high at the time? Do you get paid $1kwh for each kwh or is there some cap or is the $1kwh a maximum and it could be a lot less?

Curious to hear more also. We opted in a few weeks back and turned off storm watch since we are on the same section as the fire Département and so don’t usually have long outages and don’t want to charge of the grid at non offpeak times. Firmware 21.20.6 and vpp says beta.
Have not seen any alerts / events.

Reactions: ClarDold
I'm totally not clear how this program works. If I enable it in the app, who pays me the $1 for each kwh that gets put onto the grid from my system during an event. If it happens during peak time solar production, do I only get paid the extra for discharge from the powerwalls or from solar as well? Does Tesla's software make it so that during an event I'd self consume solar while my powerwall discharges to the grid or does it not count unless you're also sending all your solar to the grid first? What if your own usage is high at the time? Do you get paid $1kwh for each kwh or is there some cap or is the $1kwh a maximum and it could be a lot less?
I don’t have a lot of answers, but can relay our experiences in the VPP here in New England with Tesla.

Tesla pays us the compensation, twice a year.

And we get credit for the kWh our house uses in the “event” as well as what is sent to the grid during the event. All solar being generated and full discharge from every battery during the event with your house load covered first then remainder (bulk) going to the grid.

This happened (is happening) today. I'm not sure why the Powerwalls aren't running my house as they normally would during peak (EV2-A with Marin Clean Energy). AFAICT my Powerwalls are just sitting in standby. This feature isn't working the way I thought it would (or else there's a bug), but I'm just curious enough to let it go for awhile...for science.

1634607044893.png1634607083571.png1634607101870.png

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
This happened (is happening) today. I'm not sure why the Powerwalls aren't running my house as they normally would during peak (EV2-A with Marin Clean Energy). AFAICT my Powerwalls are just sitting in standby. This feature isn't working the way I thought it would (or else there's a bug), but I'm just curious enough to let it go for awhile...for science.

View attachment 723088View attachment 723089View attachment 723090

Bruce.
Did you recently use the app to select a utility and then applied the TOU settings to the Powerwall Time Based Control?

When I did this, my Powerwalls did not respond to the Peak period even though the settings were correct in the app display. I reentered them as a custom setting and then the PWs worked correctly the next day

Note: I am still on the 4.1.1 version of the app.

View attachment 723088View attachment 723089View attachment 723090

Bruce.
I'm seeing exactly the same behavior here in South Bay. Interestingly, the notification said a new VPP is scheduled for tomorrow from 6-9pm but the app shows it is running right now. My PW is on standby vs discharging at this peak rate time.

I'm seeing exactly the same behavior here in South Bay. Interestingly, the notification said a new VPP is scheduled for tomorrow from 6-9pm but the app shows it is running right now. My PW is on standby vs discharging at this peak rate time.
How did you get that notification? I don’t recall seeing one (app notifications do usually work for me).

Did you recently use the app to select a utility and then applied the TOU settings to the Powerwall Time Based Control?

When I did this, my Powerwalls did not respond to the Peak period even though the settings were correct in the app display. I reentered them as a custom setting and then the PWs worked correctly the next day

Note: I am still on the 4.1.1 version of the app.

I‘m on 4.2. The scheduling has been working fine except for today.

Bruce.

I don’t have a lot of answers, but can relay our experiences in the VPP here in New England with Tesla.

Tesla pays us the compensation, twice a year.

And we get credit for the kWh our house uses in the “event” as well as what is sent to the grid during the event. All solar being generated and full discharge from every battery during the event with your house load covered first then remainder (bulk) going to the grid.
do they pay you via check sent in the mail? how much you were compensated each time? just curious on the potential of joining...

How did you get that notification? I don’t recall seeing one (app notifications do usually work for me).

I‘m on 4.2. The scheduling has been working fine except for today.

Bruce.
The VPP events take precedent over your scheduling. When an event is scheduled, for some point later but not more than 24 hours in the future the Powerwalls will try to fill up from any available solar, once filled then they will sit at 100% until the events starts and your house will run off of solar and grid.

For us in New England this makes sense since the compensation is way greater than the cost of electricity during the “prep” time. Not sure about the compensation in CA evening things out for you.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah