Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much control do you have over what is fed to the grid? Can you opt-out for a period of time since your solar production is low (we have shading issues)?

You can opt-out for any given incident...starting from when you get the notification for the incident (which could be a few hours to a few days in advance). But once you've opted-out there wasn't a mechanism for opting back in for that specific incident.

Bruce.

I signed up for the VPP in late October after I received PTO. Have there been any events since then? I wasn't expecting any since it's not Summer but just curious.

The last event was sometime in late October (you can go back through this thread to see people discussing the VPP events as they happened). Nothing recent that I'm aware of. Note this was a pilot program which has since concluded, and I haven't heard any announcement about making this a "normal" thing, other pilot programs, etc.

Bruce.

Looks like the program has been updated, supposed to be rolling out today but I don't have the option yet.

I didn't participate the first time, but for $2/kWh I will this time of it shows up in the app.

Reactions: aesculus
I didn't participate the first time, but for $2/kWh I will this time of it shows up in the app.
Only thing is it only compensates you for what additional kWh you send compared to what you might normally do. So if you normally have export to grid on, I am not sure how it will work. Also I assume Tesla will be the one making the determination based on some historical average.

The Tesla and PG&E ELRP pilot will compensate you $2 for every additional kWh that your Powerwall delivers during an event beyond typical behavior.

Your compensation depends on:

• The participating energy capacity of your system, which depends on the number of Powerwalls and your Backup Reserve. Lower your Backup Reserve to earn more.
  • How fully charged your Powerwall is for the event. There may not be enough solar energy or time to fully charge the Powerwall before an event.
  • How much your Powerwall would typically charge or discharge during the event time.
  • Whether the Powerwall can export all available energy during the event. Powerwall may not have time to safely discharge all participating energy during the event. Powerwall may need to limit exports to safe levels, typically similar to solar export levels.

Only thing is it only compensates you for what additional kWh you send compared to what you might normally do. So if you normally have export to grid on, I am not sure how it will work.
My Powerwalls are not configured to export to the grid as there is zero value in doing so, at least for me as a net generator with a non-TOU price for excess kWh. The program is described as event driven, so when the event happens some command is sent to the Powerwall to start exporting. I would expect that Tesla queries the Powerwall before and after the event to determine the amount of kWh that was exported and reports that to PG&E which is used for compensation.

Edit: after re-reading the Tesla VPP page in the compensation section it says:
The Tesla and PG&E ELRP pilot will compensate you $2 for every additional kWh that your Powerwall delivers during an event beyond typical behavior....Your compensation depends on: How much your Powerwall would typically charge or discharge during the event time.
I had recently lowered my reserve with A/C being used, but I guess I will dial it back up again. Since it doesn't matter to me if my NEM charges are $-1000 or $-10 as it just reset to zero and I want to maximum the amount kWh my solar can export to the grid and recharging the PW with 110% of the discharge is counter productive.

Last edited:
Submitted my account & meter information today (PG&E).
Application shows: Pending

I was previously in the VPP Beta.
Where did you see it in the app? The enrollment for the old VPP beta was showing up in map app for a long while, but it wouldn't work for me as the accept button was off screen and the app page didn't scroll o_O and now I can't even find that old cruft in my v4.9.1-1067 app.

For the VPP here in New England, during an event ALL exports from the Powerwall and solar whether feeding the grid OR the home count towards the kW average used to calculate compensation. I guess they figure if the home wasn’t generating those kWs used by the home they would come from the grid, so they are counted as reducing the load in the grid.

Interesting to see home this plays out in the new CA VPP or if they tweak it.

Where did you see it in the app? The enrollment for the old VPP beta was showing up in map app for a long while, but it wouldn't work for me as the accept button was off screen and the app page didn't scroll o_O and now I can't even find that old cruft in my v4.9.1-1067 app.
My old Virtual Power Plant option just disappeared for a day then the new Virtual Power plant option showed up prompting me to apply with account and meter info. You should be able to see it soon, the only question I have is would the export count towards NEM credit?

Reactions: MJ_CA_2019
My old Virtual Power Plant option just disappeared for a day then the new Virtual Power plant option showed up prompting me to apply with account and meter info. You should be able to see it soon, the only question I have is would the export count towards NEM credit?
It should count towards the NEM credits and there were no reports of the people in the VPP beta of any issues.

Just opened my app and there was a popup for VPP. There was an estimate that I would get $9 or $1 per event which I am assuming is based on my current reserve level of 80% that I would lower down to 10% before an event to maximize the value for exporting. After I submitted the enrollment there is now a new Virtual Power Plant line item below the system graphic.
  • Energy
  • Impact
  • Virtual Power Plant
  • Settings
  • Go Off-Grid
  • Support
  • Documents