Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious how many of you have been approved? My request still shows "pending".

All the best,

BG
Mine was approved that, the page says "1,262 fleet homes".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220629-195824_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220629-195824_Tesla.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 61
I'm signed up with Ohmconnect but wanted to see if it wiuld go through anyways (for science!)...

So here's what it looks like when it gets denied.

Attachments

• 355C9B3A-C80B-4582-A67A-0AB342E9C28A.png
    355C9B3A-C80B-4582-A67A-0AB342E9C28A.png
    592.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 03D63FFB-FFF0-4440-825A-37A6AFB7642B.png
    03D63FFB-FFF0-4440-825A-37A6AFB7642B.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 50
I have the the “Export Everything” option so Virtual Power-plant would be moot.

Is there anyone with both of these options (VP and Energy Exports)?
I have "Export Everything" and "Grid charging" options but I have them off. The new VPP option is turned on by default and I think I will leave it on. I have CCA so I guess it does not matter who your generator is as long as you do not have other program that compensates you.

I have "Export Everything" and "Grid charging" options but I have them off. The new VPP option is turned on by default and I think I will leave it on. I have CCA so I guess it does not matter who your generator is as long as you do not have other program that compensates you.
So then what is the difference between VP and Export Everything? Why not just select "Export Everything" if one is denied access to VP?

Haven't been following too closely, but in the current iteration of VPP, does it let you set a separate, lower reserve for VPP events? Then it could make sense to do Export Everything and VPP. If you're exporting down to the reserve level during peak every day anyway (via Export Everything), then a VPP would just shift some of tomorrow's exports to today. You get reimbursed for that, at the expense of a greater chance of running out of energy if there is a black-out. Which risk may be elevated, assuming VPP events are called when there is excess grid demand.

Cheers, Wayne

Haven't been following too closely, but in the current iteration of VPP, does it let you set a separate, lower reserve for VPP events? Then it could make sense to do Export Everything and VPP. If you're exporting down to the reserve level during peak every day anyway (via Export Everything), then a VPP would just shift some of tomorrow's exports to today. You get reimbursed for that, at the expense of a greater chance of running out of energy if there is a black-out. Which risk may be elevated, assuming VPP events are called when there is excess grid demand.

Cheers, Wayne
At this time there isn't a separate reserve level setting for VPP events, so this would need to be changed manually when the event notification is sent prior the event starting.

Mine is also now approved. I assumed it might not be because we have East Bay Community Energy (EBCE) as our provider. However, I remember taking some option for staying with PG&E rates.

And I wish we are in one of these $2/kWh situations. With cool weather and bright sun, we topped the Powerwalls at 10:15 and have sending the excess to the grid ever since.

VPP gets you an extra higher return on top of your NEM credits and what PG&E or a CCA pays if you are a net generator for the year.
Better than NEM credits, but the latter is irrelevant isn't it? Annual net generators will export the same amount whether they do it in a VPP event or at other times right? Because your solar generation is the same and you consumption is the same, the surplus must either be exported from Powerwalls or directly from solar. You'll get the same amount of true-up credit whether you're in VPP or not.

The only variable is whether you end up re-fillng the Powerwalls from the grid, and whether peak rates or non-peak. algorithm

Better than NEM credits, but the latter is irrelevant isn't it? Annual net generators will export the same amount whether they do it in a VPP event or at other times right? Because your solar generation is the same and you consumption is the same, the surplus must either be exported from Powerwalls or directly from solar. You'll get the same amount of true-up credit whether you're in VPP or not.

The only variable is whether you end up re-fillng the Powerwalls from the grid, and whether peak rates or non-peak. algorithm
Well, I guess you can say that both aren't relevant which was really my point as the VPP compensation is on top of both of them. For context I was replying to the question "So then what is the difference between VP and Export Everything? "

The rules on the how PG&E/Tesla will be calculating the kWh that are exported for the ELRP are ambiguous in my opinion (see earlier posts here). One interpretation is that our "average load" is determined by the last 10 weekdays or 4 weekend days and that is subtracted from the amount used/exported during the event. If this is correct then if you are always exporting your entire PW during this time there won't be difference and you get $0. Another interpretation is that if the "average load" is negative during the previous days it set to 0 kWh and you are compensated for everything that you export. In the first case, if you are using Export Everything that will count against you, but in the second case it wouldn't.

Well, I guess you can say that both aren't relevant which was really my point as the VPP compensation is on top of both of them. For context I was replying to the question "So then what is the difference between VP and Export Everything? "

The rules on the how PG&E/Tesla will be calculating the kWh that are exported for the ELRP are ambiguous in my opinion (see earlier posts here). One interpretation is that our "average load" is determined by the last 10 weekdays or 4 weekend days and that is subtracted from the amount used/exported during the event. If this is correct then if you are always exporting your entire PW during this time there won't be difference and you get $0. Another interpretation is that if the "average load" is negative during the previous days it set to 0 kWh and you are compensated for everything that you export. In the first case, if you are using Export Everything that will count against you, but in the second case it wouldn't.
Ah yes, my bad, I do see now you stated "on top of" both items, not "vs" them. And that's a good point to emphasize, that in all of these demand response programs, you still get your normal credit for export, or cost avoidance from not having consumed energy when reducing actual loads.

Reactions: Redhill_qik