Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision coming to radar-equipped cars on 2022.24.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 release notes are now available and now brings Tesla Vision to radar-equipped vehicles. This change was first seen in the mystery 2022.20.9 release which was only pushed out to a small number of cars.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 Release Notes | Tesla Updates

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.15.42 PM.png

(Credit: Tesla Updates)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
Seriously p’d off about this (ie the enforced sh1tty auto high beam and wipers) - might actually consider selling the car sooner rather than later if some major improvements to these don’t appear pretty damn soon.

Forcing features on people is one thing, but forcing obviously sh1t features on people is inexcusable.

Fix those first, then use them with the Tesla vision if you must, then force them on people if you must.
They gave up trying to fix them. As far as Teslas concerned it's "good enough". It's been 15mo and they haven't been able to get TV to equal radar performance. My belief is that the hardware can't do any better.

They're throwing in the towel and just moving all the cars to TV to simplify software development.

Their only comment on it is "it's passed IIHS tests". They don't care if the cars drive worse, they already got our money.

I do think they should have made it so you opt in to TV, not force it on you

The improvements we want don’t require any regulatory changes - so the condition attached to the promise is a false one.

Tons of other cars already do these very basic tasks (eg correctly detect speed limits and then apply that limit to TACC so that the car does not exceed the limit) way way better than Tesla.

Elon should come over here and try driving an ID3 with speed assist and matrix lights.
They've added speed assist, which is an improvement. UK speed signs are now read and auto adjusted (albeit not in the right amount of time) and the second tweet is regarding FSD Beta.

They've added speed assist, which is an improvement. UK speed signs are now read and auto adjusted (albeit not in the right amount of time) and the second tweet is regarding FSD Beta.
Speed assist is still absolutely diabolical compared to the ID3.

It regularly sets the max speed to 10 or 20 mph when the limit is actually 50 or 60.

If it does detect the correct limit, it does not reliably pass that though to TACC so that the set speed it adjusted.

If it does occasionally pass the detected speed through to TACC, this only happens after the car has already passed the sign and has been exceeding the limit.

I’d highly recommend test driving an ID car to see how it should be, where an upcoming limit change is known about well in advance, and where the cruise control reacts to the change to ensure limits are not exceeded.

Last edited:
Reactions: PerBB
ID3 - knows in advance of a 30 mph limit ahead, tells the driver, adjusts the cruise control set speed, and slows down to ensure the new limit is reached as it passes the sign. Works almost flawlessly.

Most limits are fixed locations and should be programmed into a database. It’s really not hard for the majority of limits - only temporary or new limits should need visual detection.

There’s no excuse for Teslas to be sailing past signs exceeding the new limit and then only reacting and slowing down after the fact. That’s stupid behaviour.

Reactions: emmz0r and PerBB
ID3 - knows in advance of a 30 mph limit ahead, tells the driver, adjusts the cruise control set speed, and slows down to ensure the new limit is reached as it passes the sign. Works almost flawlessly.

Most limits are fixed locations and should be programmed into a database. It’s really not hard for the majority of limits - only temporary or new limits should need visual detection.

There’s no excuse for Teslas to be sailing past signs exceeding the new limit and then only reacting and slowing down after the fact. That’s stupid behaviour.

That ID.3 is such a pretty little EV too IMO, and I'm not usually a fan of small cars. Too bad we can't get it nor the Honda e in the USA.

When the ceo says his megacompany is aiming for something that specific, it's a promise. Otherwise "considering" will create less expectations..
Utter bollocks, that's just your take on it. Look how much Elon has tweeted about over the years, and then look at much has actually been implemented - I'd say about 20%. He said that 3&Y would get smart shift, windows would auto close if it rains, he has been teasing reverse summon for years, adjusting trigger temp for cabin overhear — none of it has come out or even been teased again — if you're talking all of them as promises, you need to lower your expectations.

Plus he has always stated "upon regulatory approval" or something similar whenever talking about AP or FSD Beta Europe and guess what, the regulations haven't changed. If anything; it's worse now that Germany decided Tesla was again in violation on R.79 and forced them to remove auto exits on motorways/highways. The regulations are just as stiff as they were 3 years ago.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Just because someone regularly fails to deliver according to the timeframes they themselves set (if at all), that does not change the fact they indicated / suggested / promised, however we want to call it, that they would in fact deliver it.

Specifically for the tweet about March, the regulatory approval thing is a red herring for that particular "promise"..

Q. European Autopilot users complain to me every day about incorrect speed limits and not getting to the correct speed before you cross the sign..

Musk's Answer: We're aiming for a significant improvement for owners outside the US around March, depending on regulatory approvals

There's nothing regulatory stopping Tesla having an up to date database of speed limit signs which the car reacts to in order to make sure signs are crossed at the correct speed - just like the ID cars, and increasing amounts of even cheaper cars. He seeks to make the timeframe they are aiming for dependent on regulatory approval, but the fact is regulatory approvals aren't needed for the issue the question was actually about, so that becomes a moot point and customers are rightly left wondering why couldn't this really simple feature have been improved 6 months ago, and why is it still sh1t.

Reactions: PerBB
Tesla dropping support for radars is basically throwing in the towel on FSD. Waymo and Cruise can't get to L4 self driving with fancy lidars, radars, and cameras. How is your Tesla going to compare with its dusty lens and poorly calibrated cameras? Do Teslas even have a single set of stereo cameras?

I knew something was up when my M3 upgraded twice today, to 2022.24.5 and 24.6. I would have postponed updates for a couple months had I known this earlier. Of course, Tesla is getting more training data to improve their AI models. But why must I be the guinea pig?

My 2018 M3 is still on HW2.5 with "Advanced updates" preference.

Utter bollocks, that's just your take on it. Look how much Elon has tweeted about over the years, and then look at much has actually been implemented - I'd say about 20%. He said that 3&Y would get smart shift, windows would auto close if it rains, he has been teasing reverse summon for years, adjusting trigger temp for cabin overhear — none of it has come out or even been teased again — if you're talking all of them as promises, you need to lower your expectations.

Plus he has always stated "upon regulatory approval" or something similar whenever talking about AP or FSD Beta Europe and guess what, the regulations haven't changed. If anything; it's worse now that Germany decided Tesla was again in violation on R.79 and forced them to remove auto exits on motorways/highways. The regulations are just as stiff as they were 3 years ago.
Cars drive around European roads with "regulatory" approval today, with well functioning AD level 2 features, this is not rocket science, just a crappy effort. And promising more than you can keep is nothing but poor leadership.

Just because someone regularly fails to deliver according to the timeframes they themselves set (if at all), that does not change the fact they indicated / suggested / promised, however we want to call it, that they would in fact deliver it.

Specifically for the tweet about March, the regulatory approval thing is a red herring for that particular "promise"..

Q. European Autopilot users complain to me every day about incorrect speed limits and not getting to the correct speed before you cross the sign..

Musk's Answer: We're aiming for a significant improvement for owners outside the US around March, depending on regulatory approvals

There's nothing regulatory stopping Tesla having an up to date database of speed limit signs which the car reacts to in order to make sure signs are crossed at the correct speed - just like the ID cars, and increasing amounts of even cheaper cars. He seeks to make the timeframe they are aiming for dependent on regulatory approval, but the fact is regulatory approvals aren't needed for the issue the question was actually about, so that becomes a moot point and customers are rightly left wondering why couldn't this really simple feature have been improved 6 months ago, and why is it still sh1t.
Precisely, thanks👍
Where are people getting this myth that Tesla vision requires auto wipers and auto high beam?

Neither is true.
Wrong

Reactions: BillN