Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision coming to radar-equipped cars on 2022.24.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 release notes are now available and now brings Tesla Vision to radar-equipped vehicles. This change was first seen in the mystery 2022.20.9 release which was only pushed out to a small number of cars.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 Release Notes | Tesla Updates

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.15.42 PM.png

(Credit: Tesla Updates)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
All I gotta say is that my HW 2.5 Autopilot has been superb in the DC-Philly area. I haven’t experienced any phantom braking events in months — can’t even remember when I did last. I use Autopilot in traffic set at 2 seconds and it’s flawless, letting people in without any jerkiness, etc. For my needs, Autopilot 2.5 does everything I want — and without having to toggle off high beams when I use it.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I'd be far more upset if the auto-highbeams weren't able to be toggled off, yes you have to do it every time. But it's still possible.
That still means you’ll be flashing surrounding cars unless you only engage autopilot when there are no other cars around. My other gripe is I can’t force high beams to stay on in the instance I actually do want them on. Instead I have to deal with the constant high/low since the car can’t tell a sign reflecting light back apart from an actual car.

Reactions: SalisburySam
The autopilot performance while not *great* is tolerable save for some phantom braking. But the forced auto highbeams is unacceptable to me. Makes the thing useless at night.

Also having driven radar equipped Teslas, I do not think vision only represents an improvement over radar. In the best case scenarios it can achieve parity, in most cases it is worse. It still exhibits ridiculous behavior that should have been solved years ago (swerving to the right as soon as a lane closes for example)
And where did that ration come from? Wishful thinking?

Got the 2022.24.6 notification this morning. 2020 MS LR+. After reading this thread I'm inclined not to install it pending more feedback from others with similar cars.

Question, though: How does it 'force' auto high beams or minimum follow distance on 'legacy' Model S with physical stalks for those functions?

Got the 2022.24.6 notification this morning. 2020 MS LR+. After reading this thread I'm inclined not to install it pending more feedback from others with similar cars.

Question, though: How does it 'force' auto high beams or minimum follow distance on 'legacy' Model S with physical stalks for those functions?
For whatever reason they don’t enforce the auto high beams on the s/x (legacy or otherwise). They do limit the distance to “2”

As far how they’d enforce it - it’s software interpreting the inputs. All the software would have to do is ignore the position while in autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyB
I will have more time to experience this Tesla Vision update on a 1,600 mile road trip this weekend.

One trick to turning off Auto high beams and allowing conventional sticky manual control of lo/hi I found last night, at least in my M3:
  1. push light stalk away once or twice until the quick action Lights card appears under the car avatar on the touch screen
  2. Tap the Blue high beam button so it is not blue
  3. Now pushing the light stalk away toggles high beams
Alternatively, tap the same button in Controls. Either way turning that button off disables auto high beams and provides manual control instead. The key is tapping the auto high beam button is more of a disable than just pushing the stock away once.

I need the high beams to stay on after leaving my house and driving down a steep 2 mile twisty gravel road in the dark. The auto high beams don’t go high until the car reaches 25 MPH, which can’t happen until I’m on the main road. Ideally that would be fixed. At least some time ago they fixed the auto high beams to remain on high as needed after slowing below 25 MPH, so coming home is no problem.

For whatever reason they don’t enforce the auto high beams on the s/x (legacy or otherwise). They do limit the distance to “2”

As far how they’d enforce it - it’s software interpreting the inputs. All the software would have to do is ignore the position while in autopilot.
Which is pretty interesting considering these cars actually have headlight sensors that work quite well :)

Model 3 2021, radar before, not anymore. Autopilot is ok, but forced auto high beams sucks big time. This is absolutely worst update ever. Don't update, just don't.
yep. Since I’ve had it, and since I experienced actual high beams automatically coming on in broad day light, I’m now finding myself hesitating when deciding to turn on autosteer, in the day time, in case it flashes the full beams at the car in front.

Madness.

It would actually be a little less baffling if the full beam was really needed for vision based autosteer to work, but the fact it allows anyone to turn off auto high beam clearly demonstrates that full beam isn’t an absolute necessity in almost all situations.

So I just re-read the software update note in my 2021 M3 LR. Here is the text. Note that it doesn't say it eliminates RADAR, only that the car will rely on cameras for certain functions.

Tesla Vision Update

Your vehicle is now running Tesla Vision! It will rely on camera vision coupled with neural net processing to deliver certain Autopilot and active safety features. Vehicles using Tesla Vision have received top safety ratings, and fleet data shows that it provides overall enhanced safety for our customers. Note that, with Tesla Vision, available following distance settings are from 2-7 and Autosteer top speed is 85 mph (140 km/h).

My car now does limit minimum following distance to 2. I tend to have it set a 3-5, so not a big deal for me, but I could see people living in congested cities featuring an aggressive driving culture may prefer 1-2.

However, it does not force Auto High Beam, or at least there is no such reminder text under that option in the Lights section. I guess I will see if it forces it on whenever I engage Autopilot.

So now I'm left wondering if RADAR, when installed, is still used for some functions, just no longer primarily.

Disregard my previous note about simulated rumble strips. I found where I had set the Lane Departure to Warning instead of Assist. I dislike too many warning/alert sounds, as if everything is priority then nothing is.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I don’t know if the Tesla Vision change is limited to certain regions, but if you already installed 2022.20.9, the damage is done. in the US, radar was discontinued in 3/Y production sometime 2021, but that might be US only.
It seems while the assets were installed in 2022.20.9, some cars didnt have Vision activated until they installed the 2022.24.X branch and then the notes for 2022.20.X would show it retroactively.

Reactions: Ampre Sand