Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision coming to radar-equipped cars on 2022.24.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 release notes are now available and now brings Tesla Vision to radar-equipped vehicles. This change was first seen in the mystery 2022.20.9 release which was only pushed out to a small number of cars.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 Release Notes | Tesla Updates

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.15.42 PM.png

(Credit: Tesla Updates)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
For those with vision only, have you driven on two lane roads with speed limits in the 60 mph range at night? When I was in the FSD beta that was where I saw the biggest problem. My car would brake at every oncoming headlight. I couldn't use TACC or autopilot at night on our rural roads. I loved the FSD beta for metroplex driving, but the majority of my driving is in rural areas. I can always take over and drive, but that's not why I paid for FSD. I'm curious if vision will ever solve the 'blinded by the headlights' issue.

For those with vision only, have you driven on two lane roads with speed limits in the 60 mph range at night? When I was in the FSD beta that was where I saw the biggest problem. My car would brake at every oncoming headlight. I couldn't use TACC or autopilot at night on our rural roads. I loved the FSD beta for metroplex driving, but the majority of my driving is in rural areas. I can always take over and drive, but that's not why I paid for FSD. I'm curious if vision will ever solve the 'blinded by the headlights' issue.
What version of fsd was it? I had the same issues on 10.2 but it has gotten far better.

2022.20.9 as of Sept 13th.
-2018 First Production Model 3 LR AP3 Upgraded
-Road trip though Indiana Toll Road and Ohio turnpike. Daytime only.
Positives:
-Smoother braking and accelerating
Negatives
1. AP FAILURE on the trip. I considered it a complete failure as it was accompanied with hard braking and the take over immediately red symbol. I've placed a service request so they can check the logs.
2. A couple phantom braking events. Unfortunately expected with Vision. These happened on straight roadways with little to no traffic or objects of any kind to the left and right of the car. Not overly concerned about these.

Last edited:
First road trip in my 2018 Model S since losing radar via 2022.20.9, now on 2022.24.8. Did about 400 miles in FL and GA, mostly good conditions, but some rain, heavy at times. Used NoA or Autosteer the entire time.

Some differences from previous trips, in no particular order:
  • My car was more conservative about slowing down when cars were merging from entrance ramps on the right, often slowing down even if there was no chance the merging car would be ahead of me.
  • Got the red steering wheel “take over immediately” alert 5 times during the trip, 4 times in good visibility conditions without much traffic, one time in the rain. Alert message was something like “Autopilot has been aborted due to system error.” When it happened, AP and TACC were unavailable for about 30 seconds, but then came back. No braking associated with this alert.
  • During heavy rain, car would slow down with a message like “Autopilot speed reduced due to poor visibility.” No indication of what the new slower speed was, max speed still showed my set speed. Overrode the lower speed with the throttle, and eventually car would resume the set speed.
  • Car showed the speed limit as 45 instead of 70 after reading the 45 limit sign for an exit to a service plaza. Didn’t correct until I passed another 70 sign a few miles later.
  • When approaching a slower car, NoA would sometimes propose a lane change but immediately cancel, and repeat this a few times for each incident. I have lane change confirmations enabled.
  • Auto headlights don’t turn on in some conditions where they always did before. Even when it started to rain, the lights didn’t come on until the wipers did. I noticed this same issue in my wife’s 2018 Model 3 after she got 2022.20.9.
On the plus side, I didn’t have any phantom braking events (but they were always infrequent for me), and car did very well in heavy downpours (never disengaged AP completely other than the system error alerts). The system error alerts were the only real nuisance because they were unpredictable.

First road trip in my 2018 Model S since losing radar via 2022.20.9, now on 2022.24.8. Did about 400 miles in FL and GA, mostly good conditions, but some rain, heavy at times. Used NoA or Autosteer the entire time.

• My car was more conservative about slowing down when cars were merging from entrance ramps on the right, often slowing down even if there was no chance the merging car would be ahead of me.
  • Got the red steering wheel “take over immediately” alert 5 times during the trip, 4 times in good visibility conditions without much traffic, one time in the rain. Alert message was something like “Autopilot has been aborted due to system error.” When it happened, AP and TACC were unavailable for about 30 seconds, but then came back. No braking associated with this alert.
  • During heavy rain, car would slow down with a message like “Autopilot speed reduced due to poor visibility.” No indication of what the new slower speed was, max speed still showed my set speed. Overrode the lower speed with the throttle, and eventually car would resume the set speed.
  • Car showed the speed limit as 45 instead of 70 after reading the 45 limit sign for an exit to a service plaza. Didn’t correct until I passed another 70 sign a few miles later.
  • When approaching a slower car, NoA would sometimes propose a lane change but immediately cancel, and repeat this a few times for each incident. I have lane change confirmations enabled.
  • Auto headlights don’t turn on in some conditions where they always did before. Even when it started to rain, the lights didn’t come on until the wipers did. I noticed this same issue in my wife’s 2018 Model 3 after she got 2022.20.9.
On the plus side, I didn’t have any phantom braking events (but they were always infrequent for me), and car did very well in heavy downpours (never disengaged AP completely other than the system error alerts). The system error alerts were the only real nuisance because they were unpredictable.
So, massive improvements…not. Good to know. I’m still convinced for me to remain on 2022.20.8 as long as I can.

Reactions: PwrOutage and PerBB
I just took an 1800 mile trip from NJ through NC and back In my 2020 LR MS updated to 2022.24.8. Autopilot worked well, although air felt air had to apply more resistance to the steering wheel to prevent the warning messages. On divided highways I did not have any problems. On two lane 55mph highways in NC Autopilot worked well while limiting the speed to 60 mph. The Adaptive Cruise Control would let me go faster. I did not drive at night. Only one phantom breaking occurred when I came over a rise in the road and a car was approaching in its correct lane. Brief hard stop. Glad no one was behind me.

2022.20.9 as of Sept 13th.
-2018 First Production Model 3 LR AP3 Upgraded
-Road trip though Indiana Toll Road and Ohio turnpike. Daytime only.
Positives:
-Smoother braking and accelerating
Negatives
1. AP FAILURE on the trip. I considered it a complete failure as it was accompanied with hard braking and the take over immediately red symbol. I've placed a service request so they can check the logs.
2. A couple phantom braking events. Unfortunately expected with Vision. These happened on straight roadways with little to no traffic or objects of any kind to the left and right of the car. Not overly concerned about these.

Sadly not surprised. I’m so mad Tesla is trying to force this down our throats prematurely.

Reactions: PerBB
Sadly not surprised. I’m so mad Tesla is trying to force this down our throats prematurely.
I'm now on FSD Beta and because of this I'm going to be more fault tolerate. That being said, waiting on Tesla to review the logs. We can only speculate that the software stack for Tesla Vision interstate isn't being supported as they move to develop single stack. So, I agree with you they should let radar owners keep the proven radar software till single stack is ready. In my case, because I'm now able to use FSD, I can deal with the errors till then.

Reactions: PerBB
After living with TV for a while, I prefer it. There's a lot of tunnels, and the radar went ape$h1t during the end of the tunnel (with tons of phantom brakes) That's gone.
Feels more solid in the lane, keeps following traffic better in a jam, and starts moving forward earlier when a car gets out from the lane in front of you.
Well in Norway the speed is also slooooooow making the Autobahn/Highway restrictions less "relevant" 😁😉

Reactions: emmz0r
Well in Norway the speed is also slooooooow making the Autobahn/Highway restrictions less "relevant" 😁😉

Haha :) Automatic high beams is highly relevant though. The TV seems excellent during daytime. I guess I have to turn the high beams off after each engagement.

Also it's confirmed that sudden slowdowns are not radar but rather incorrect speed limits in bridges etc. I really wish you could turn that off.

Haha :) Automatic high beams is highly relevant though. The TV seems excellent during daytime. I guess I have to turn the high beams off after each engagement.

Also it's confirmed that sudden slowdowns are not radar but rather incorrect speed limits in bridges etc. I really wish you could turn that off.
Well maybe Tesla could just make LB/HB work, no other manufacturer seem to have issues with this...And in the headlights sit some great Samsung LED MATRIX units doing absolutely no good, what a shame...

Reactions: finjop and emmz0r

This was my exact experience in a 2021 TV Model Y. I now have a refreshed S with Radar that handles these roads just fine and I desperately don’t want to go back in time to constant “slam on the brakes.”

For those who have driven in Tahoe, the road that is just a disaster on TV is 267 from Truckee to Kings Beach at night.

This was my exact experience in a 2021 TV Model Y. I now have a refreshed S with Radar that handles these roads just fine and I desperately don’t want to go back in time to constant “slam on the brakes.”

For those who have driven in Tahoe, the road that is just a disaster on TV is 267 from Truckee to Kings Beach at night.
Do you still have the 2021? I would certainly make this attempt on a current version of Tesla Vision... I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

I installed 2022.28.2 after my previous post and have driven several hundred miles with AP, and I haven’t had any more ”Autopilot disabled due to system error” alerts, so hopefully that issue is fixed. I also used Autosteer on curvy back roads in VT and didn’t experience any phantom braking or collision alerts for oncoming vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: JimmyB