Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ImpartialLinedCirriped-max-1mb.gif

It is OK under simple conditions. Maybe too ambiguous at times which could cause an accident. It would be interesting to see it in inclement conditions (fog, rain, snow).

Once it became more complex the driver had to intervene. Good pre-beta/beta; far cry from FSD (whatever that means).
Autonomous driving on European roads is a long way off and may never be possible on lesser roads without V2V communication. But show me another car for sale today that is capable of this outside of high definition mapped roads and strictly limited locations.

Autonomous driving on European roads is a long way off and may never be possible on lesser roads without V2V communication. But show me another car for sale today that is capable of this outside of high definition mapped roads and strictly limited locations.

High definition maps and limited locations is not a bad thing.

How do you eat an elephant?

Limited locations is the difference between L3/L4 and L5. And not necessarily strictly limited. I wouldn't call L3 on the UK motorway/divided A road network as 'strictly limited'. That would be like calling NoA, 'strictly limited'. Current UNECE 157 regs would allow for type approved L3 in these circumstances at up to ~80mph. Its early days, but there are a number of vehicles that appear to be testing for L3 type approval.

As for high definition mapped roads. Thats not a great limitation either. Its not like a yearly navigation map update. These are maps being continuously updated by thousands of fleet vehicles and have been for quite a few years. Any changes are capable of being picked up very quickly and potentially deployed within a very short time scale of a change being detected, potentially whilst a car is on route to that location. Its not like roads the sort of roads that can currently be autonomously driven will change second by second and even if they did, the high definition mapping is just one input to the vehicles sets of inputs for the drive. They can still turn at junctions etc even without maps, but the map will aid their ability to know exactly where to drive. This does differ from Teslas constantly changing 'real time mapping', ie constantly flickering lines and path predictions, but will allow repeatedly accurate paths to be followed and if the other sensors detect an issue with the path, the car will work out an alternative. No bad thing IMHO.

Back to the question.

How do you eat an elephant?

Other manufacturers are doing it one bite at a time and making sure that bite is as perfect and testable as they can get.
Tesla are trying to eat everything in one go, and imho, have realised that they have bitten off more than they can chew.

Everything else aside. I think it’s pretty damning that they are still advertising 3 features of EAP that patently don’t work on cars without USS (auto park, summon and smart summon) with no mention - that I can see - on new orders that these features won’t be available.

So for customers that aren’t savvy or forum aware, the first time they would realise they r been fleeced over £3k is when they try to use one of those features? Or is it flagged later in the purchase journey?

It is novel and interesting, definitely an achievement but long way from something that is practical and usable on a daily basis, let alone robotaxis.

Reactions: CWT3LR